Skip to main content
Topic: unknown current drain on batteries.... (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
unknown current drain on batteries....
Yahoo Message Number: 144022
Hi Aad. I'm glad that your heater isn't the problem, but what the problem  is, might be harder to find. Battery chemistry is definitely affected by  temperature. Electricity production slows down at lower temperatures. The  voltage will drop more when more current is demanded. A small load such as  a ceiling light, medium load like the heater or heavy load like the water pump  will cause a cold battery's voltage to drop, and slowly recover. Surface charge  on a battery while being charged, or after having been recently charged, will  make the voltage appears higher than it really is. So battery voltage alone  isn't very useful.
After a few days of dry camping in cold weather, I've had  anxious moments watching my battery voltage decline at night while running the  heater. Solar helps a lot. It is normal for the battery voltage to decline  at night, and rise with warming the next morning. That is obscured when the  solar kicks in to start charging the battery. As you find out more keep us  informed about what you find. The knowledge base here amazing.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Re: unknown current drain on batteries....
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144024
Hi Ron,
 Although we have been using our Lazy Daze during the last few years, my priority has been restoring wooden boats. As a result I have not paid much attention to it, with the exception of some normal upkeep and servicing, and she has served us well.
With my boat restoration behind me and facing a little little problem, my R V enthusiasm is back. I have become an eager learner and student
2001 MB