Skip to main content
Topic: Foggy Windows (Read 16 times) previous topic - next topic
Foggy Windows
Yahoo Message Number: 143965
My 2005 RK has developed a foggy rear window (condensation between the panes).  What's the best way to aleviate this situation?

Thanks for any input.

David 05RK
david 05rk

Re: Foggy Windows
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 143966
When you get condensation between the panes of a double-pane window it means you have an air leak.  There is really no cure other than to replace the glass.

Dick

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 143967
Dick, I don't know anything about this but why couldn't it be resealed if window is still good rather than replacing window?

Jan/Scottsdale AZ.

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 09:12:09 -0700
 Subject: RE: [LD] Foggy Windows

When you get condensation between the panes of a double-pane window it means you have an air leak.  There is really no cure other than to replace the glass.

Dick

Sent: Friday, December 06, 2013 8:37 AM Subject: [LD] Foggy Windows

My 2005 RK has developed a foggy rear window (condensation between the panes). What's the best way to aleviate this situation?

Thanks for any input.

David 05RK

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 143968
I believe these windows are filled with nitrogen and it takes special equipment to seal them.  I suppose one could remove the window and ship it back to the manufacturer to have it re-done.

Dick

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 143969
Thanks, that makes sense.

Jan/Scottsdale AZ.

Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 09:34:51 -0700
 Subject: RE: [LD] Foggy Windows

I believe these windows are filled with nitrogen and it takes special equipment to seal them.  I suppose one could remove the window and ship it back to the manufacturer to have it re-done.

Dick

Sent: Friday, December 06, 2013 9:26 AM Subject: RE: [LD] Foggy Windows

Dick, I don't know anything about this but why couldn't it be resealed if window is still good rather than replacing window?

Jan/Scottsdale AZ.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 143977
We had a cracked window and called a company who replaces the type of window you have described..They had hook ups available and replaced our glass which isn't double paned..Many of the larger Class A rigs came from far away to have their windows replaced and were thrilled at the savings..you might want to talk to someone..

http://suncoastdesigners.com/

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 143984
My 2005 RK has developed a foggy rear window (condensation between the panes).  What's the best way to aleviate this situation?

Thanks for any input.

David 05RK
I'd sure be tempted to try to fix the window myself, being the parsimonious type.
 Probably doubtful you can find a glass shop that would have a go at it . . . most buy their windows made to size and I'm not sure a manufacturer would take it on either.
 Anyway, as others have said, it's nitrogen filled. I have a nitrogen regulator so would insert a hypodermic needle between the glass and center spacer. Then ressurize *gently* and use bubble solution to find leak. By gently, you'll want to look at the glass edge on and make sure it's not appreciably bulging in the center.
 With leak found, insert another hypo needle in leak and allow to purge for several hours so as to get as high a percentage of nitrogen between the glass as possible. When happy with results, remove needles and seal both openings with silicone sealant (caulk).

bumper

Yonder, 05 MB
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 143985
Bumper - Do you think the nitrogen will dry out the moisture that is already in there?  That might be the only problem.

Dick

From: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com [mailto:lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of bumperm@...
Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2013 10:59 AM To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com Subject: [LD] Re: Foggy Windows

My 2005 RK has developed a foggy rear window (condensation between the panes). What's the best way to aleviate this situation?

Thanks for any input.

David 05RK
I'd sure be tempted to try to fix the window myself, being the parsimonious type.
 Probably doubtful you can find a glass shop that would have a go at it . . . most buy their windows made to size and I'm not sure a manufacturer would take it on either.
 Anyway, as others have said, it's nitrogen filled. I have a nitrogen regulator so would insert a hypodermic needle between the glass and center spacer. Then ressurize *gently* and use bubble solution to find leak. By gently, you'll want to look at the glass edge on and make sure it's not appreciably bulging in the center.
 With leak found, insert another hypo needle in leak and allow to purge for several hours so as to get as high a percentage of nitrogen between the glass as possible. When happy with results, remove needles and seal both openings with silicone sealant (caulk).

bumper Yonder, 05 MB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 143986
Jan, it may be possible to save the glass, at least one pane. Your Lazydaze likely has special glass that is nearly impossible to find anywhere other than at Nagco Glass in Southern California. Sometimes it is difficult to save both panes during the separation process. Because LD uses special glass and a unique tint I would call Nagco. I am not sure but the inside or outside pane may be clear, and thus might be less expensive to replace should it be required to sacrifice one side. If you call Nagco be prepared with the year of your LD, the approximate size of the pane(s) affected and your tint color bronze or gray. They can be reached here: (909) 623-3343 243 east holt blvd Pomonaā€ˇ CA 91767 Hope this helps.

Sent by wireless

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 143992
My understanding is there are two general categories of dual pane windows either air under a vacuum or nitrogen under pressure. The RV industry uses the vacuum method, at least most of the SOB's do. Not sure what a modern lazy daze has my coach has single pane glass. Before you risk breaking any tinted glass panes experimenting keep in mind the glass used by LD is super thin and hard to find in any tint, let alone a tint that will match. I would call the mothership and Nagco for guidance.

Sent by wireless

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 143993
I have a foggy rear window in my '03 MB, but have not had it fixed yet.  Here are the options I've researched:

(1) Take it back to the original glass manufacturer near the mothership.  Expect a replacement which provides a great match but will be more expensive than some other options

(2) Take it to a shop that specializes in fixing foggy RV windows.  There is one in AZ (mentioned earlier in this thread).  I also know of one in FL ( http://suncoastdesigners.com/ ) and one in NC ( http://www.rvglassrepairservices.com/ ).   There are probably others.  Some of these places are set up with RV hookups for on-site repairs while you wait (a day or two).  Some will also accept shipments or walk-ins from windows you have removed yourself.

(3) A local glass shop - I had a local glass shop look at my foggy window while he was at the house for something else.  He was convinced that they could repair it, but I decided I would be more comfortable using someone with more RV experience.

I've read conflicting reports on how easy it is to get the rear window out of a Lazy Daze.  Apparently, many SOB windows practically fall out once you remove a few screws and the RV dedicated places are expecting that type of removal.  I've read that people have problems removing LD windows, and I've read the opposite.

When the time comes, I'll probably remove the window myself and bring in to RV Glass Repair Services in NC because they are semi-local to me, a RV tech I trust spoke highly of them, and I can take my time with removal and installation.

Rich '03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 144025
Thanks to everybody for their  input.  As usual, this group provides plenty to think about.  I'm going to look around the Atlanta area for someone who repairs RV glass and see what I come up with.

Thanks again everyone,

David 05RK
david 05rk