Skip to main content
Topic: I am trying to find a real comparison of MPG between the V8 and the  (Read 29 times) previous topic - next topic
I am trying to find a real comparison of MPG between the V8 and the
Yahoo Message Number: 143921
I don't have an RV. I am planning to travel in one within year of so. The LD24 with the rear lounge looks to be a well built and efficient unit.
Could some of you fine people let me know your realistic MPG? From what I've read the V10 is only a couple of miles per gallon than the V8.

Re: I am trying to find a real comparison of MPG between the V8 and
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 143927
"Could some of you fine people let me know your realistic MPG?"

Depends upon your load, whether you're towing, how fast you travel, and your driving style. It's common to get around 10 mpg with the V10 engine, but that's assuming you stay below 60 mph most of the time and follow good driving practices: no fast starts, no unnecessary braking.

With a fully loaded midbath, I averaged 10 mpg before getting a car (Honda Fit: 2,300 pounds), and 9 to 9.5 mpg now that I'm towing.

Having said all that, I'll repeat what's often been said here: fuel economy shouldn't be a deciding factor when buying an RV. All of these rigs get terrible gas mileage compared to a passenger car. (For example, I've averaged 47.5 mpg over the last 970 miles driven in my Fit.) But that doesn't have to be a problem if you slow down and don't try to see the whole US in two weeks, the way some vacationers do. :-)

Personally, I like to spend two weeks in any given campground, just so I have to get to know the area. Then I may drive 100 miles to the next campground. Driving 200 miles or so per month doesn't use much gas. It's not a significant item in my annual budget. So I don't worry about whether I get 9, 10 or 11 mpg.

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 143933
Thanks for the information. I agree with your take it show and enjoy the view approach. Using Arizona gas prices at approximately $3.00 a gal it would cost roughly $30.00 to travel 100 miles, thats not bad at all. The fact that it's your transportation and accommodation makes it very economical and practical. Hence the popularity of the RV lifestyle.

John

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 143935
I'm full-timing in an 04 Twin-King 24 ft and average around 10 MPG; I've done better, and I've done worse depending on the conditions. But, like Andy said, you can manage the cost by the way you travel. This lifestyle is well worth the adjustments you'll need to make. Don't let one aspect prevent you from experiencing the freedom and adventure.
Pleinguy : Full-Timer
2004 Twin-King "Tardis"
PleinAirJourney.com

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 143939
"Could some of you fine people let me know your realistic MPG?"

I doubt if you are going to see much of a difference in mileage between the V8 and V10. If you have any ideas of pulling a toad, get the V10. The V8 could also lower resale value.
Our first LD was V8 powered and could not pull a light toad and it climbed hills slowly. The V10 was a wonderful improvement.
 If mileage is a big concern, in a 23.5-24' models, consider a 2002 or older model. They were built on the lightweight E350 narrow-body chassis and get 2-3 MPG better mileage but pay for it with limited CCC. The newer E450 is a superior chassis in all ways except mileage.
 Our 2003 23.5' FL gets around 8-MPG towing and 9-MPG running without. You can do even better if you can drive 55, which I can't.

When you work it out, our LD, towing the Jeep, uses about the same amount of fuel, per pound, as a Prius.
Just look at an LD as a very big economy car..

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 143953
"Our  2003 23.5' FL gets around 8-MPG towing and 9-MPG running without. You  can do even better if you can drive 55, which I can't."

I'll second that statement.

I know there are people in this group that have the disciple to drive 55 or less and get 10 MPG (or better).  More power to them, but I'm not one of them.  I'm just one of those guys that goes through life with his hair on fire (and enjoys it that way).

I drive the Lazy Daze about 67 MPH on the interstate and only do that when it's safe.  Mountain interstates and back country roads slow me down considerably.

I have a 2000 MB with the Banks Power option and driving San Diego to Yosemite, I usually average 8.7 MPG (no toad).

Obviously if you're a lead foot, you're going to pay with poor gas mileage.  When I slow down to 55 on a flat stretch, my ScanGauge tells me that I'm getting around 11 MPG.  How close that is to reality I don't know, because I've never driven a tank of gas at 55 on a flat stretch.

I figured how much money I would save by driving 55 to Yosemite and decided I'm going to try it.  I set the speed control on 55 and kicked back.  Driving at 55 makes time practically stop.  I felt like I could go to sleep and let the Lazy Daze drive itself.  But after a few hours of this in the San Joaquin valley (boring scenery), I pulled the plug on 55.  I just wanted to get somewhere fast so I could enjoy the scenery.  So when the scenery is pretty or interesting, I slow down to 55 (or less), but dull does nothing for me.

Anyway that's the way I usually drive the interstates and I guess I'm doomed to 8.7 MPG (or less).  Mountains make me slow down (55 is normal), but the ScanGauge says the gas is still busy going out the tailpipe while going up hill.  When I coast down the mountains, the ScanGauge tells me that I'm getting 999 MPG.  Now that's really good gas mileage.
 Wish I had the discipline to drive slower on the interstates, but I don't have it (yet).

Bob
2000 MB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 143960
Forty years ago, when we had to drive 55, I collected lots of pretty pink paper, then MO boosted the speed limit--& I still collected paper.  A 30-day nastygram from the State Director of Revenue finally got my attention, & cruise control became my best friend.  i also discovered NPR & audio books.  Then I got my first minivan with the trip computer display & now I choose to drive 55.  I usually have that up around 27-29 mpg (I've actually had it up to 34 once, when I filled up with non-ethanol gas out in KS).  55 does add an hour to/from on my MO to Denver/MO to Dallas trips, & it annoys my kids on the rare occasions when they're around...but I do like playing the game with the trip computer.
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 143964
Hi All,
 This is a subject right up my alley. Since I own both a 1988 Ford F-250 Supercab P/U with a 7.5 L, 460 CID V-8 EFI  with an 8' Northstar pop up camper and a 2003 Lazy Daze/Front Lounge 24.5 foot with a 6.8 L, 413 CID.
 As far as gas mileage is concerned, the 88 P/U with the V-8 gets about 11 mpg at 55 mph and my 2003 LD gets 10 mpg aft the same speed. But remember, the pop up camper total height from the ground to the top of the AC is about 8'. The LD's height is 10' 3" plus there is a weight difference. The P/U has. GVWR of 8800 lbs and the LD's has a GVWR of 14500 lbs.
 IMHO, they are both good engines. Although, I am a little fearful of the spark plug problems that have occurred in the V-10 history's. As far as my V-8 the engine is great other than the gas mileage. Other than routine maintenance, I have changed the fuel pumps in both tanks, water pump, and a fan clutch. Nothing on the V-10 yet, but it only has 48,000 miles and the V-8 has 81,000(yes only 81,000 miles. You see I bought the truck new).

Red Sky

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 143970
There have been a few replies to this post, but instead of any posts that actually address the question, that of a comparison of the MPG of the two engines, it seems that most of the replies tried to dismiss consideration of fuel efficiency in general.
 If I understand the original question, the poster was considering ordering a new 24' LD and wanted to know if there was any data that compared the MPG of the Ford 5.4L V-8 to the MPG of the 6.8L V-10 so they could make an informed decision. I suspect there is little information available about the V-8.
 I realize that a lot of motorhome owners drive very few miles per year, but there are some like myself, that  have actually accumulated a lot of miles. To some folks, fuel costs could a more serious consideration than it is to those of you who drive a hundred miles every two weeks.  I think that is one reason you are seeing more Sprinter based RVs on the road.
 In my case, we've driven our 2003 26.5' Mid-bath almost 118,000 miles. We haven't towed a car, we drive the speed limit most of the time, rarely use the genset, and I would say we've averaged close to 10 mpg. Let's say that 118,000 miles at 9.75mpg = 12102 gallons. IF I could improve that to 12mpg I would have used around 9833 gallons. That would save 2269 gallons over the 10 years we've owned our rig. I don't know what the average price of gas has been over that time, but if it was $3/gal that would be approx. $6800.  Is that important? To some it is. On the other hand, it would only be $680 per year.
 I know that as I've considered other RV's, I do consider what kind of mileage it would get. Looking as gas powered Class A's, and realizing I would be lucky to get 8mpg, kind of makes me cringe. But spending a lot more for a diesel like a Sprinter, and paying a lot more per gallon; so far, it hasn't made sense to me either.
 So... back to the original question, does anybody have real world mpg figures for a LD 24' with 5.4L V8?

Steve K. (Yes I would get the V-10 again!)
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 143971
I really appreciate all the responses to this seemingly simple question. There are many factors about MPG. The V10 seems to be very popular and people don't seem to worry about the lower mileage. They feel from responses here that the additional power and ability for towing make the choice rather obvious.

Thanks to everyone.
John on Maui.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 143972
You won't see anything close to the 20% difference in mileage between the V8 and V10. They are both based on the "modular" engine; basically, you are paying for moving the same vehicle down the road, and there will be very little in efficiency differences.

Since they are based on the same modular engine, I don't expect the spark plug problems to be different between the V8 and V10, and I'm pretty sure the spark plug problems were taken care of several years ago, anyway. That's based on recent searching for plug problems before buying a 2005 SOB with Ford chassis.

Eric Greenwell

nukamper2000 wrote, On 12/6/2013 9:14 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 143973
Oops. I think my conclusions might still be right, but according to Wikipedia, the "modular" doesn't mean they are essentially identical in design; however, they are very similar, so you should not expect significant differences in fuel efficiency.

Eric

Eric Greenwell wrote, On 12/6/2013 2:14 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 143987
I have a 2004 F250 with the V10 and a 2003 LD with the V10. The F250 was spec'ed out to pull a boat so the ratio in the differential (aka rear axle ratio) is higher than the ratio in the LD (I think it is 4.33 rear end in the F250).

All things considered the F250 even with the differential that makes the wheels turn less for a given engine RPM still gets much better mileage than the LD. I have achieved 15 MPG with  F250 pulling the boat on a flat surface at 60 MPH. I get 9+ MPG on the LD pulling a Saturn SW on a flat surface at 60 MPH.

The difference is due to the LD pushing more air out of the way at speed than the F250 has to push air out of the way at speed. You try to push a 8 foot 6 inch by 8 foot high flat surface at 60 mph and it takes a certain amount of power to keep pushing all that air aside, like a hurricane  in your face. The pickup is only pushing a smaller (estimated numbers here =) 4 foot high by 6 foot wide flat surface followed by a pointed surface (the boat). That means it takes over twice as much energy to move the LD (at about 64 square feet) as it does to move the truck (at about 24 square feet plus the boat pointy surface) on a flat surface at speed.

The power needed to push a flat surface of a given size is independent of the engine size, (unless the engine does not have enough power to move our box) so we could convert energy required vs  the energy contained in gasoline (or diesel for that matter) and we get a pretty close approximation of MPG needed to get the work of moving the box a given distance at a given speed.

For me what is important is the extra power I need to climb hills which is added to the above requirements as I am now lifting a weight (the dinghy) while pushing the wind.  Sometimes I wish I had a V20 in the LD when messing with the Rockies.

The other piece of the puzzle is how much energy do you really need for the way you drive, where you drive, and what you drive. Since I have a 26MB I do not get to choose what I need but I do get to choose how aggressive I get with the throttle and how fast I want to go and how much junk I stuff into the Saturn. Smaller motor (V8) driven with low speed, no dinghy, and no hills can work.

Final answer - only you know what will work for you, and if you do not yet know you will learn via experience soon. I would hate to discover that I selected conservative (less power) when I needed more choices (more power).

Now, whats the most important thing is not which engine you choose, but using it to go out and have fun!

See you on the road

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 143990
I think you're asking a good question, but don't know of anyone with a late model 24 with the V8.   When I was in the market last year I bought the V10 in my 24.  I had no internal debate about the issue.

I find the V10 to be of adequate power, but I wouldn't want any less.  The extra torque generally means less engine racing on grades.  A 24' LD w/ V10 does not feel overpowered by any stretch of the word.

I can squeeze about 10 MPG trips  out of mine with the most careful of driving in favorable conditions.  More stop and go or mountains bring it down from there.  I have not averaged less than 9 MPG generally.

I would venture a guess the V8 would get about 10% better economy overall.  But it would be highly variable.  Probably best advantage to the V8 would be steady state 60 MPH cruising, no wind or hills.  Less favorable to the V8 would be instances with heavy downshifting and the potential for the V8 to be drawing more air/fuel than the V10 cruising along in a higher gear.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 143991
You will be lucky to get .5 MPG better milage and more like less. At 60 or 65 MPH you will be working the V8 for all it has. It will be more like wide open. The V 10 will not be working hard and using less gas in the long run. If you are willing to run at 40/45 MPH you will start to see more difference. because the V8 will not be working at it's high end.

A good example if this is I run a 650 CC Can-AM ATV. My friend run a 800 CC Can-AM ATV. We both get the exact same milage. This is by how much we each take to fill the tank at the same gas station. As long as we ride to gether the gas is the same. The difference is he can out preform me and if he starts getting heavy on the gas he will start to use more.

I am trying to find a real comparison of MPG between the V8 and
Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 143923
In a message dated 12/4/2013 2:50:31 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,  jonthebru@... writes:
I    don't have an RV. I am planning to travel in one within year of so. The LD24    with the rear lounge looks to be a well built and efficient unit.
Could    some of you fine people let me know your realistic MPG? From what I've read    the V10 is only a couple of miles per gallon than the  V8.

I get 8 MPG with my 2003 MB  26.5 V10 on highway driving.       Escondido,  CA  John
John in Escondido,  CA

I am trying to find a real comparison of MPG between the V8 and
Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 143994
Steve,
 Yes, I do. I am the original owner of a '08 24' FL with the standard 5.4L V-8 engine. On my recent 8,500 mile trip to Alaska my overall mpg average was 10.44. This was actually a slight improvement over what I was previously experiencing (10.3 mpg). Suffice to say, this is without towing. I maintain an even 60 mph on the interstates (never higher-99/100 trucks and RVs will pass me) and on steep mountain passes (like the Tejon and Cajon Passes here in SoCal) I am in the truck lane doing 40-45 mph). Perhaps I could eek out another few tenths per mile if I kept my water tank empty and stuck to 55 but that seems almost so dangerously slow I would have to keep my hazard lights on.
 My mileage is disappointing to me since I was hoping for something closer to 12. When I purchased my LD in March of 2008 gas prices were about to peak at $4.65 per gallon, more than doubling over the previous six months. I thought I was crazy to even consider buying a motorhome at the time. I believe the factory had just started building the 24 footers with the V-8, the V-10 being an $1100 option. Being a rookie with no RV experience I asked Steve if the V-8 had enough power. He asked if I was planning on towing. At the time the answer was a definitive no, so he said it did. Technically I'd say he was correct. There isn't any paved road in the mountains it hasn't been able to handle, as long as I let it go at its own pace so to speak.
 However, if I had a chance to do it again I'd opt for the V-10. I feel the V-8 is slightly under-powered and now I am thinking it would be nice to tow an AWD Forester to travel on those roads RVs should not and cannot go. That is my only regret. I love my LD. It has been very good to me and I could not care less about resale value, as I plan on keeping it until I'm not healthy enough for RVing, then pass it on to my son. So those are the facts asked for, and opinions that weren't.

Mike L.
2008 FL

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 143995
I took my 2005 450 LD 24' V10 MH to Canada and Alaska in 2012 for 14 weeksJune/August and traveled 10,500 miles. On the paved roads I would hold 60 to 65 most of the time. On the passes I had no problem keeping 50/55 MPH. I did not try to keep gas millage in Canada because of the leader. In Alaska MT and WY I did not keep track of all the tanks. When I did track my millage it was right about 10.0 to 10.5  and I had a tank that was 12.+.I always keep the water tank full when it was there but the waste tanks I would empty when I could. I do not get overly conserened about milage and do not keep track of millage that much. My addatude is IF YOU WANT TO PLAY YOU GOT TO PAY. I did not pull a car or trailer but the 450 was loaded near to capacity.

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 143996
"However, if I had a chance to do it again I'd opt for the V-10. I feel  the V-8 is slightly under-powered and now I am thinking it would be nice  to tow an AWD Forester to travel on those roads RVs should not and  cannot go

Mike

Your experience is similar to owning an old LD, built on the G30 chassis, with the 350 V-8.
Our 1983 LD didn't have the power to tow but it always got to the top of the hill (as long as it was less than 10,000 ft).

Your mileage isn't much better than the V10, driven similarly
 The 23.5'-24' LDs suffered a significant decrease in mileage when the chassis was switched from the E350 to the much heavier E450, in 2003.
Previous 23.5's got around 2 MPG better mileage, in return for a much lower CCC.
Other than saving $1100, the V8 does not appear to offer many advantages.

Larry

Larry.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 143997
The largest factor in MPG is wind resistance or frontal square footage. Other factors such as wind profile and weight from drag are smaller components.  So cutting one foot off the top of an RV will have the greatest impact on MPG.  As long as the engine is operating in it's normal range the mpg's will be similar between different engines.

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 144009
My SOB (11,500 lbs) with the V10 got 10 mpg when towing my glider trailer, and 11+ plus without it, driving the same speeds. The trailer contributed mostly weight (2500 lbs) and no frontal area, as the box is 4' wide and 4' tall (and 30' long). Two wheels, single axle.
 I now have an E450 SOB, but haven't had it long enough to compare mpg w/wo the trailer.

Eric Greenwell
  wrote, On 12/9/2013 11:55 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS