Skip to main content
Topic: How hard to change shocks on Chevy G30? (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
How hard to change shocks on Chevy G30?
Yahoo Message Number: 143807
Just wondering if anyone here has changed their own shocks on the front axle in particular on the mid 80's LD based on the Chevy G30 platform..
I drove ours down to Costco to get gas and going over speed bumps is nasty -- the shocks just don't do their job -- I really don't notice the problem as much anywhere else -- but speed bumps are bad..
 Anyway, I do not yet have a set of jack stands but did recently get a 12 ton bottle jack so I'm partway there.. I'm guessing I will need to remove the wheel after raising -- any special tools needed -- e.g. spring compressor or anything like that?  Just thought I'd get the words of wisdom from you all that know better than I..

I gather that Bilsteins are the way to go for the Chevy platform..

Thx in advance.. tomorrow is my last day to do any last minute fix ups..
 P.S.  Any ideas why our RM-763 fridge won't start on AC?  I fired up the shore-power via AC cord and the outlets are fine but the fridge continues to try to fire up via propane -- sparking for more than 30 minutes.. I will check the AC outlet in the morning in the off-chance it's dead..  For now I switched over to 12V and it stopped sparking..
I will check if it's cold in the morning since I'm plugged in.. I currently have no propane so that's not an option.. gotta fill it tomorrow..

Re: How hard to change shocks on Chevy G30?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 143808
"Just wondering if anyone here has changed their own shocks on the front axle in particular on the mid 80's LD based on the Chevy G30 platform.."

Rick'

It isn't a hard job, just two bolts per shock and much easier than the front of the E450s.
 Definitely get the Bilsteins or a similar HD shock. The front shock lays at an angle, making it less effective.

Check to make sure the rubber bump stops are still in good shape.
Do n't cheap out and buy 3-ton jacks stands when you can get the 6-ton stands. They cost more and are worth every dollar when you are working under your very heavy LD.  A 3-ton floor jack will handle the front of your LD and is a lot more convenient to use than a bottle jack.

Xmas is coming..

The refrigerator's board must  'see' 120-VAC power before it will transfer from propane or 12-VDC.
Do check the outlet in the morning. Breakers have been known to trip.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 143823
Thanks Larry!  I checked the fridge outlet and it's fine.. Not sure if that means there's some other fridge issue to deal with.. Time to get some propane and make sure that works at least...
 I'm looking for a pair of the heavy rated jack stands.. I do have a 2.5 ton floor jack but am a bit leary about trying it on the front of the g30...

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 143827
Heavy wear points in the front end steering should also be addressed. These are the Pitman arm and idler arm. The test is easy, but you need to slide under the front looking up at the transverse link while the engine is off and the rig on the ground. Have an assistant slowly rotate the steering wheel from side to side until resistance is felt. If the transverse rod movement is strictly horizontal, everything is fine. If vertical movement of 1/4" or more is detected, the idler and possibly the Pitman should be replaced.

And,...the Bilsteins are the best choice.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit