Skip to main content
Topic: Question regarding old 80's fridge dash switch for 12v vs Propane... (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Question regarding old 80's fridge dash switch for 12v vs Propane...
Yahoo Message Number: 143801
Ok.. So I'm installing a new dash switch for the electric fuel pump and I took the small plate off the dash for the Chevy G 30.  In doing so, I found the fridge switch is falling apart. This is the one that you specify 12 V versus propane..
 I find no power running across the two contacts. But I did find approximately 10 K ohm resistance when on the propane setting versus close to zero for the 12 V setting..
 I realize the vast majority of people with these older LD's tend to leave it on the propane setting and skip the 12 V setting..
 Anyway, I just wanted to make sure the switch is operating properly or at least that it is in the right position when I button it back up..

Comments?

Re: Question regarding old 80's fridge dash switch for 12v vs Pr
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 143802
" I realize the vast majority of people with these older LD's tend to leave it on the propane setting and skip the 12 V setting."

Rick

I have seen them wired with the switch for use while fueling, to eliminate the refrigerator's flame.
Most have been disconnected, usually after killing the coach battery once or twice.
Another variation was a 15-20 minute shutdown of the refrigerator, when the ignition was turned off, allowing time for fueling..Twenty minutes does not seem long enough to me having spent longer than that fueling. when using a slow pump.
 I have thought about an inter-lock where removing the gas cap would automatically shut the refrigerator and water heater off. Something using a magnetic reed switch and a couple of relays should be able to take care of it.
I wired our 1983 LD so that the refrigerator could run on 12-volts only when the ignition was on (and hopefully so was the engine). Adding a delay relay to it would have been simple.

Glad you fixed the heater, Yosemite Valley can get cold at night.
We will brave the conditions on the coast this weekend.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze