Skip to main content
Topic: Quartzite And BLM Access (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Quartzite And BLM Access
Yahoo Message Number: 143720
As moderator of the LazyDaze Quartzsite Yahoo Board.
 http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/LazyDazeQuartzsite/

I recieved this note from Yahoo.  I have pasted part of it below:
 If you enjoy any form of vehicle travel on BLM lands encompassed within the La Plamosa BLM district, you will want to know about this travel management plan.  I have reviewed the EA and do not see anything that directly mentions impacts on RV access to these areas, you must keep in mind that road closures and restrictions are affecting dispersed camping everywhere in the National Forests and BLM lands.  What appears below is an announcement of the public comment period.  I receive this from a group that monitors these regulatory matters.  You may review it for yourself and decide if the proposed plan will directly impact dispersed RV camping in the Quartzsite area.

Message follows:
 The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Yuma Field Office has announced that the La Posa Travel Management Plan preliminary Environmental Assessment (EA) is available for review. This begins a 45-day public comment period, which ends at the close of business on December 21, 2013. The preliminary EA is available for reviewed online at http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/travel_mgmt/la_posa.html.

End of Paste up.
 Looks like SOMETHING is in the wind for Q and maybe other BLM areas.
 Would not hurt to respond with letters or EMails.  I don't know if restricting access is part of this but it may be a start.  Go to the BLM link above and check it out for yourself.

Re: Quartzite And BLM Access
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 143721
I just looked at this lengthy Federal Government document and attempted to understand it.

It appears to me that it concerns OHV (Off Highway Vehicles), not RVs on dirt roads in designated camping areas in Quartzsite such as the La Posa Long Term Visitor Area.

But I could be wrong. It is a long, confusing report.

Kevin
Kevin Lindsay
2000 Lazy Daze 30 IB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 143726
Thank you for the alert- it is important. BLM & USFS has been reviewing the lands under their responsibilities since the mid 1070's at least.  This continues that process.
 We've never been to Quartzite yet and can't address specifics.  I looked over the document.  BLM has identified some 2060 roads and trails covering some 1800 miles.  Their proposal is to close about 45% of the mileage and restrict another 5%.  If you are familiar with the area, use it, and have favorite spots, I'd suggest you look at the maps and see what is proposed for your favorite locales.  I have found the net effect of such studies and proposals is to lock people out of particularly nice, albeit sensitive places.
 I don't want to sound alarmist, but if you know and love the area, check out the plans.

joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 143833
I posted this note over on the LD Quartzsite and Roger has seen fit to post it here, too.

I agree that the focus of the BLM planning efforts is to minimize OHV impacts in the area.  When implemented, many tracks and "roads" will be closed and using them after the closures will carry a federal (not state) penalty.

My concern is that like in most other plans, once "MVUM"s have been set according to the plan, then there are limits as to how far off the approved road that you can travel for camping activities.  Will anything in the preferred plan affect dispersed camping in the traditional RV areas of BLM land in the Quartzsite area?  If they squeeze this area, boondocking in Quartzsite may begin to resemble more of a crowded RV park than open desert and thus lose some or much of its current charm.

I share the concerns of joel above.  OHV people are the groups that usually squeal the loudest over this regulation but I've also seen the end result in other areas catch hunters and backcountry campers off guard, too.

And in my original post, I mistakenly wrote "La Plamosa".  I meant to type "La Posa".  An aging mind.

Dan
2007 IB-30