Skip to main content
Topic: Trouble with posting in the For Sale File (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Trouble with posting in the For Sale File
Yahoo Message Number: 143718
I am having difficulty posting in the LD for sale file. I have gone thru the steps outlined in Andy's recent postings, but I always get a run together ad.
Will a moderator please email me off line to help me.

Re: Trouble with posting in the For Sale File
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 143719
"I have gone thru the steps outlined in Andy's recent postings, but I always get a run together ad."

John, I just took a look at your ad and it seems fine--each topic on its own line, extra white space between topics, and so on. I don't think you have anything to worry about. :-)

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 143730
Andy Thanks for the response.  When I used Wordpad, the posting seemed to work.  If I open the posting with Notepad, it all runs together, as if a wordwrap is on.
When you are viewing the posting, what app do you use? John Beckman

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 143736
"When you are viewing the posting, what app do you use?"

TextEdit, on Mac OS X 10.8.5.

"If I open the posting with Notepad, it all runs together, as if a wordwrap is on."

Most likely Notepad, which is an old program that probably hasn't changed much, is not able to correctly understand the line endings used by Yahoo, while more modern programs such as WordPad and TextEdit can.

Windows traditionally uses two characters--CR and LF--to denote end of line. But operating systems such as UNIX and Mac OS X use a single character--LF in the case of UNIX, and CR in the case of Mac OS X. Modern word processing software should be able to recognize any of the three conventions and format text correctly, but evidently Notepad isn't that bright... and I'm guessing Yahoo is using the UNIX LF standard, since most web servers are UNIX-based.

In any case, there's not much you can do except hope that not too many people are still using the old Notepad... and I suspect that's true. :-)

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"