Skip to main content
Topic: PUMP (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: PUMP
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 143699
I use one of these: http://www.motorhome.com/rv-reviews/rv-gear-reviews/hands-on-check-tire-pressure-with-viair-compressor-product/ Bought it used on the auction site a few years ago. Still going       strong and I use it quite a bit but I'm carefull not to let it get       too hot.

Marie

On 11/18/2013 7:24 PM, Dale Dollins wrote: ''

If like to use it more than once.''

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 143710
Dale

There are two approaches, first using 12-VDC and the other 120-VAC power.

If you have the room to store a mid-size compressor, a 120=VAC pump will pump up tires in most situations.. Since I almost never add air while traveling, a small 120VDC wuill sirfice.
The Viair P440-RV is a high quality pump than do double duty by being available to refill the tires on your Jeep after a day of off-roading.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/VIAIR-Air-Compressors-p-1-c-3804.html Several years ago Costco sold the pump below and many of us bought one. It has held up OK.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442866_200442866?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Air%20Compressors-_-Single%20Stage%20Electric%20Air%20Compressors-_-305400&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=305400&gclid=COeg9JSX8boCFStBQgodUkEAMw It gets tossed into the Jeep, when we tow it..
For a  high speed refill, nothing beats a CO2 tank and regulator. We carry on of these in the Jeep. It produces enough pressure and volume to run a 1/2" air impact wrench. It is similar to the one shown below..
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Powertank-Comp-Series-10-lb.-System-p-16459.html

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 143711
In addition, a third option: a high-quality, foot-stabilized bicycle tire pump (I have a Joe Blow model). Such a pump will take a bit of time, but to top off a few psi, is more than capable of the pressure needed, and a bigger model can handle the job while giving a nice upper-body workout! Like Larry, I rarely add air during a trip, but after a month or more on the road, it can be necessary.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 143713
I use a Bostitch ( http://www.amazon.com/BOSTITCH-CAP1512-OF-Oil-Free-High-Output-Compressor/dp/B004285RLS/ref=sr_1_9?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1384883924&sr=1-9&keywords=bostitch ).  It is ok for what I use it for.  It would not be good for long use air tools for example as it will overheat.  For tires and blowing out the fresh water lines and other small jobs it does a good job.  The tank of air is great as when I do the RV I do the family cars and seem to get one or two of the neighbors cars too. All in less time than it takes to type the entry and find the link.
If you are going to use the pump to winterize make sure the pump assembly is oilless in design.  I had a little trouble finding an oilless pump that would store in the RV storage bins.  Most were to tall or had poor ratings.  Others were no longer in production.
John
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 143834
"What floor plan do you have? Where are you able to store this pump?"

Good question! An 18" x 15" x 13" pump is too big to fit in any of my midbath's compartments, that's for sure. I think it might fit in a 31-footer, though.

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 143835
"I was curious as to why you would not add air while on a trip?"

I can't speak for Larry, but I only add a couple of times a year--and I'm a fulltimer who checks air pressure in all ten tires (rig + towed car) every morning before driving. If your tires and valves are in good shape, it shouldn't be necessary to add air frequently.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 143836
By the way, although I carry a 2 hp tankless Craftsman air compressor, I also carry bicycle pumps in both my rig and my car. It wouldn't be my preferred method of airing up a tire, but if all else fails, it WILL work! I'm a big believer in redundancy when it comes to essentials.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 143839
I have the (much) older version of this Campbell-Hausfeld compressor.

http://chpower.com/productdetail/2-gallon-air-compressor_fp2048

While it won't fit *upright* in the compartment(s) of my TK, it fits through the 9" high compartment access and rides safely and securely *on its side*. I use rolled/folded terry cloth shop towels to secure and cushion the "compressor" parts on the top of the tank; the compressor doesn't shift at all when going down the road, and I've experienced no problems in over ten years of carrying the compressor in this manner. Like others, I rarely need to add air, but if/when I do, having the compressor immediately available is a wonderful convenience; I would not travel without it!

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 143841
I have a Campbell Hausfeld #FP202801 oilless 1 gal 110psi 120V air compressor purchased at Walmart. It is very compact and rides upright in the outside compartment, under the couch, on the driver side of my Twin-King. As others have said, I mainly air up between camps. But, it sure is comforting to have it on board for that emergency out in the boondocks.
Pleinguy : Full-Timer
2004 Twin-King "Tardis"
PleinAirJourney.com

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 143844
If I need to add air, it can be easily done at any truck stop when I pick up fuel (way too frequently!).  I check the pressure frequently, but it is quite rare to actually have to add any when on the road. IMO not worth the hassle to carry a compressor, especially since something small enough to carry probably has the performance only slightly better than blowing though a straw.   I do keep a decent one at home. Obviously full-timers or off-roaders probably have different requirements and expectations.

Beware, the suggested pressures are when the tires are COLD.  Highway driving will increase the temp/pressure quite a bit, so do not reduce pressure at the gas station.

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 143845
IMO not worth the hassle to carry a compressor, especially since something small enough to carry probably has the performance only slightly better than blowing though a straw.
---- Well, as stated before, YMMV. I went through several years and 90k miles of around-the-country travel in a rig too small to carry any kind of useful "air supply", and finding places to air the tires was an ongoing, frustrating, and extremely annoying PITA.  A little 12V "inflator" with a clip-on valve attachment was worse than useless. The gas station air hoses  - if there were air hoses at all - often had mashed nozzles or were "out of order".  If a gas station had an "air machine", one had to run back and forth feeding quarters into its maw because the thing would shut off after a few seconds.  Or, the air hose was placed next to the phone booth where somebody would invariably park and block access.  Or, tire shops were few and far between and rarely conveniently located when the tires needed air.  When I got a rig with a compartment that I could wedge a 120V compressor into, I was thrilled; no more air hunts!

The CH compressor is not fast, but it's very convenient and it gets the job done; it will ride on its side in the compartment until it dies or the wheels fall off my rig or I get too old to get down the road.  (It's a crap shoot as to which of those will come to pass first.)

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 143848
And you can change your tire pressure WHILE YOU DRIVE!  Wonder how they accomplish that.

Rich
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 143850
Kathy and I saw one of these up in Canada a few years ago.  Everyone in the RV park was taking every excuse they could to walk by and view the machine.  The only thing that struck me was that it was very high and would have trouble on some highways and byways due to low bridges.  Looked like a very sharp rig tho!

Bob and Kathy SE 5  30IB AE

On Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:59 AM, Jim   wrote: