Skip to main content
Topic: Communications while moving an RV (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Communications while moving an RV
Yahoo Message Number: 143633
We have tried voice communications while maneuvering the LD in tight quarters, and have found that hand signals work much better for us .  With my spotter outside where I can clearly see her in a mirror, I find it a lot easier to respond to her hand signals - there is no ambiguity about what she wants me to do . With voice, there was some question sometimes about whose left or right she was referring to .
 An important safety note: if she should happen to move out of sight, I stop immediately and do not move the rig until I can see her again .

WxToad @ Holloman AFB, NM

Recently there was some discussion about communications between the driver and the spotter while manuvering is tight quarters, or just to add one more level of safety for people and property  .

Re: Communications while moving an RV
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 143638
" We have tried voice communications while maneuvering the LD in tight quarters, and have found that hand signals work much better for us .  With my spotter outside where I can clearly see her in a mirror, I find it a lot easier to respond to her hand signals"

Ted

This is the method taught to thousands of transportation and construction workers every dayfor safe parking or backing assistance of trucks, cars airplanes, trains, you name it...no radios needed, but they can be very helpful in some situations
 Similar hand signals for guiding cranes, where the operator cannot see what he/she is doing.
If the guide is not visible, everything stops until the guide is once again insight.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 143655
Hitting the emergency flashers as an agreed-upon signal: I can't see you anymore can help.

From: Toad To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:03 AM Subject: [LD] re: Communications while moving an RV
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 143669
Joel and Ted:  Excellent advice.  If I can't see my spotter even with the headsets on, I stop.  The emergency flasher idea is great.

Thanks,  Bob in FL  30IB AE

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 11:27 PM, joel wiley  wrote: