Skip to main content
Topic: seam sealer (Read 16 times) previous topic - next topic
seam sealer
Yahoo Message Number: 143625
What are people using for roof seam sealer now?  My RV mechanic recommended Geocell Proflex.  I ordered a gallon, but the store said they can't get it because it is banned in CA.
I may need to get a new password.  Have been totally inactive lately.

Steve Funk

'81 rear lounge Chevy based.

Re: seam sealer
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 143629
As Dale said, Eternabond tape--either the 4" or 6" variety. See this article in the Lazy Daze Companion for tips on application.

Don't use any product that's intended to be slathered onto a rubber or fiberglass roof. Most RV mechanics have never seen an aluminum roof, so their sealant recommendations are frequently inappropriate for us.

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 143630
"Don't use  any product that's intended to be slathered onto a rubber or fiberglass  roof. Most RV mechanics have never seen an aluminum roof, so their  sealant recommendations are frequently inappropriate for us."

Paint on roof coatings can hide problem spots and make future resealing difficult. Aftermarket trailer roof coatings have limited lives, four to five years.
 Seal the roof seams once with Eternabond and it will last for a couple decades.
I now recommend the 6" Eternabond tape. See the link below for a posting I recently made about this.
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lifewithalazydazerv/conversations/messages/143357

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 143646
Spent 4 hours today installing the Eternabond  tape on the sides (another 4 hours buying supplies and tools).   Thanks to  all the tips from this site things went very smooth.    I had already ordered the 4" tape for the sides so I missed Larry's recent recommendation to go with 6" on the sides.   The last step is to install 6" on the front  (I'm waiting for 3M 5200 marine adhesive seal to dry).   I'll install the 6" and on front and I should be good to go.   I used the heavy duty Eternabond roller and cleaner,   I purchased the Eternabond  primer for the front but ended up reworking the seam,

I replaced the bathroom  vent cover (a walnut went clear through vent and screen) so the vent was brittle and needed replacement.  The tree has got to go.  The outside cover was easy but the screen replacement was a pain.  To do it over again, I would have replaced the entire fan.

I need to order a domestic refrig roof cover.  The rest of the covers look to be in pretty good shape for a 2001.

Now I need to decide whether to use Eternabond tape or 3M 5200 Marine Sealant for all the vent seams.   My existing seams are still flexible so I think I'm going to wait until next year.   I've favoring 3M 5200 for all the vents.

Just a testimonial that a novice can do this.   Actually I cannot believe the money I'm saving these days doing repairs after watching You Tube Videos.

LarryD
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)