Skip to main content
Topic: Problem with posting file (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Problem with posting file
Yahoo Message Number: 143556
I tried posting a for sale ad with no success.  Here are the instructions and my responses to each item in the instructions in italics.  Can someone give me guidance on what I might be doing wrong?

Click to open the "Buying & Selling" folder, and inside that, the "FOR SALE: Lazy Dazes" folder.   I did this.

2. Then click the "Create Text File" link near the top of the page. I did this.

3. Copy the ad from your word processor and paste it in. I did this. I wrote the ad in notebook as per the instructions.

4. Important: please include the location of your rig in the file's name--  for example, "1987 22' RB in Elko, NV."  I did this.

NOTE: *Do not* use any slashes in the title of your ad! Yahoo has a bug  that will chop off any text before a "/". So rather than "twin/king,"  write "twin-king." Instead of "23 1/2'," write "23.5'."

5. Click the blue "Create File" button at the bottom right of the page
 to save the file, and you're done!  There was no Create FIle button at the bottom of the page.  There was a save button at the top, which I did click.  This created the ad but it landed in the wrong place.  Plus, it was not readable as a txt.  My computer could not figure out what format it was in.  I deleted the ad.

IMPORTANT NOTES

* Please do not upload MS Word (.doc) files. Not everybody has Word, so your audience will be larger if you stick to plain text that's readable online.

* Any ads that are uploaded outside the "FOR SALE: Lazy Dazes" folder will be deleted.

Re: Problem with posting file
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 143564
Martha, I'm sorry you ran into problems posting a for-sale ad. Yahoo's recent changes have altered things a bit, and the instructions you mentioned had become outdated. I've just edited them to reflect the new locations of buttons, and to include one important new point: you must add '.txt' to the end of your ad's name if you want Windows users to be able to read it. (Macs have no problem recognizing a text file, but if Windows sees a file with no extension, it goes "duh" and gives up. ;-)

I can't explain why your ad ended up in the wrong place. (Out of curiosity, what wrong place was that?) I just created a test file, following the instructions exactly, and it appeared in the folder I was in.

I apologize for the outdated instructions. Please give it another try, and let me know if you run into any problems.

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 143567
I'll give it a try.  When I did it the last time it ended up just as a separate file in the files area.  Thanks for being so helpful as usual.

Martha

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 143568
OK, it looks like it worked fine this time.  Thanks!

I should have added to my ad that we might consider delivery if it is to a warmer part of the country.  :-)

Martha