Skip to main content
Topic: Lug Nuts (Read 18 times) previous topic - next topic
Lug Nuts
Yahoo Message Number: 143472
Does anyone know what size allen wrench fits the Ford lug nuts? I have the Kaper II wheel simulators if that helps.
Thank you
2002 27" RB

Re: Lug Nuts
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 143474
Don't know what size it is, nor what rig you have, but I found mine on my '06 MB strapped to my spare tire.
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 143475
The  wheel simulator's adapters, on our 2003 LD, use a 5/16" Allen wrench Lugs nuts use a 7/8" socket, torqued to 140-lbs.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 143484
" I want to have everything on hand in case of a flat off in       the sticks"

Changing a tire, especially on the rear, is a challenge beyond the capability of most. That said, I believe in carrying everything needed if you venture far off paved roads. If road service is available, use it.
 Unfortunately, few, if any, road service companies will go down dirt roads, many times including county gravel roads.
Like many here, we like camping far away from civilization. If we get a flat, way out in the boonies, either we change it ourselves or pay a very high fee for one of the off-road towing services to do it...if we can even get in touch with them. It could be a very long wait.
 Even if you do not have the strength or knowledge to change a flat, you still have what is needed in case capable helpers appear.  If planning on being able to do it yourself, practice in the comfort of your driveway the first time. You will quickly find out if you have what is needed.
 Definitely change a rear tire as part of the practice. In comparison, the front tires are a piece of cake.
Just removing the spare off the rear of the MH is a handful. Roll the flat up the steps and store on the floor i fit is to heavy to replace on the rear. For those who have the spare inside the rear storage compartment, figure out how to get it out before you need to, it isn't easy.

We carry -Two jacks, a 5-ton hydraulic and a 12-ton hydraulic. I always use both, for extra safety.
 -Various size pieces of 2"X 8" wood, used for cribbing and wheel chocks. Leveling ramps and blocks can also be used. A good way to get a flat rear wheel off the ground is to place a ramp under the inflated tire and then drive up, lifting the flat tire up. You still need to use both jacks under the axle to lift the axle the last couple of inches.
 - 2- 12" X 12" squares of 3/4" plywood, placed under the jacks to prevent sinking in soft soil.
-1/2"-drive breaker bar, 7/8" deep-socket and 1/2" drive extension, long enough to reach the rear duals lug nuts.
 - 3' (or longer, storage permitting) )long 'cheater' bar - 1" steel water pipe, inside diameter big enough to slip over the 1/2"-drive breaker bar, used to assist in loosing and tightening of the lug nuts. The rear lug nuts can be very difficult to break loose and remove.

-Tools needed to removed stainless steel wheel liners.
-Coveralls, gloves, tarp (for wet or muddy conditions).
-Duct tape - used to tape the rear wheel-well covers open.

Park on level ground, make sure to chock the wheels, in both directions, and be very careful.

This is a lot different than changing a tire on your car.
 The only good thing about changing an RV tire is that you can easily get cleaned up, even showering,  after finishing. This always improves my attitude.
 Be preemptive on preventing flats by checking the tire pressure often and inspecting the tires regularly for damage, such as cuts, bubbles and deep sidewall cracking. Replace them when they time out or even earlier.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 143500
My experience with flat rear tires is the motorhome handling is not noticeably changed, and every one was discovered after stopping for the usual reasons - lunch, potty stop, etc.
 Therefore, I suggest a rear tire flat does not neccessarily disable the vehicle, allowing you to drive slowly to a place where the flat can be dealt with more easily, where more help is available, or where cell phone service is available. Even if the flat tire is damaged by driving on it, it may be much quicker than waiting or attempting to fix it, it may be much safer than trying to change the tire, and it might even be cheaper than having an off-road service come to you.
 So, carry the stuff needed to install the spare, know how to do it, even if you aren't able to do it, but remember the motorhome can still move safely at low speeds. I tell my wife to keep it under 25 mph, if it should happen to her when I'm not around. I suspect somewhat faster is still safe, but I haven't investigated it.

Eric Greenwell

wrote, On 11/7/2013 12:47 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS