Skip to main content
Topic: LD Windshield Cover - is it worthwhile (Read 20 times) previous topic - next topic
LD Windshield Cover - is it worthwhile
Yahoo Message Number: 143372
We're on our way home from a visit to the Mothership, the frame for our 31 IB (for now, The Rig with No Name) is due back from stretching in the next day or so.  One (of many) questions has to do with the cover over the windshield.  We found there will be an interior curtain, so are wondering what is the feeling about the outside cover.  Have you used one and would you do so again?

Joel & Mary
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Re: LD Windshield Cover - is it worthwhile
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 143375
Absolutely! Especially when camping over a few nights --- extra security and privacy and the total interior is usable in cab area.  We frequently turn the passenger co-pilot chair around when in camp to have extra seating! Nice to have that shield effect on the outside and it is quite easy to use and clean when necessary.  Cheers, Alexandra

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 143376
I'm not crazy about the opaque cover the factory offers. I and many of my friends have purchased mesh windshield covers from Sunpro in Yuma, AZ. These are made from the kind of vinyl-covered mesh fabric used in outdoor sunscreens. Unlike the opaque cover, they let through a lot of light, which is very welcome, but block most heat during warm weather.

During the day, the mesh cover lets you see out without letting anyone see in--another advantage. At night, of course, it does allow outsiders to see in. That's when I drop my cab blanket for privacy... and in cold weather, for insulation. (In hot weather, I use the cab blanket during the day to keep the cab's heat out of the coach.)

I don't use the factory's cab curtain at all. It's flimsy, and a nuisance to slide around its tracks. I tied it back, out of the way.

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 143377
We use the cover when in storage. While traveling we use a 2ft x 6 or 7 ft piece of solar screening layed across the windshield with the doors closed over it. Quick and easy to place, and we always use it for privacy and to keep sun out. And Cheap! Easy for one person to place it. Again you can see out daytime, but provides privacy. At night we use the in-cab drapes. (I did add longer ones.)

Norma Taylor  (LD 26IB)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 143378
We use ours only when the rig is in storage . We don't even take it with us when traveling . The interior curtain suffices for us; as soon as we're up in the morning, we open that and let the light stream in .

WxToad @ Valley of Fire, NM www.wxtoad.com www.ultimatecampgrounds.com

Posted by: "joel-wiley@sbcglobal . net" joel-wiley@sbcglobal . net joel-wiley@sbcglobal . net Date: Fri Nov 1, 2013 4:26 pm ((PDT))

We're wondering what is the feeling about the outside cover .   Have you used one and would you do so again?

Joel & Mary

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 143380
"We found there will be an interior curtain, so are wondering what is the feeling about the outside cover.  Have you used one and would you do so again?" --- The vinyl windshield/side window cover for my 2003 has never been out of the pouch, and I don't use the cab curtain, either.  If I'm staying put for a couple of days or more, I put up the (inside) EZ Curtain (www.ezcurtain.net) and a "cab drape" (mine is made of double-sided heavy denim ).

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 143382
We use ours year around.  It goes on when the rig is in storage.  When we camp if we make a trip away without the dogs (never very long mind you) we make sure the cover is on and the window shades are down.  The dogs are less likely to bark when they don't see things going across the front.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 143386
I've used the windsheild cover since 2001. It allows light in, makes the rig seem bigger than when using curtains, blocks outside visibility of possessions in cab, and keeps the Doberman from barking at everyone who passes by the nose.

If you don't have a dog, there are several other options including an outside shield with panels you can drop for more visibility and light.

Lori Y Godzilla, 2011 24FL
Lori Y
2011 24FL

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 143387
I've used the windsheild cover since 2001. It allows light in, ----- I'm probably missing something again, but the windshield/side window cover that came with my rig is a heavy vinyl which fits over the windshield and cab windows and allows no light into the cab at all; are you referring to the Sun Pro mesh "windshield cover" that Andy mentioned or another like it rather than the OEM cover?

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 143388
We use ours on very cold nights to insulate the windshield and prevent heat loss.  How effective that is would be hard to determine.

Joe Hamm

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 143389
"the windshield/side window cover that came with my rig is a heavy vinyl which fits over the windshield and cab windows and allows no light into the cab at all"

The factory-supplied cover that came with my 2003 actually did allow a small amount of light through; it had a very dim yellowish-greenish-brownish tinge, reminiscent of what the sky is said to look like just before a tornado. It certainly didn't light up or cheer up the rig; I was glad to replace it with a white Sunpro mesh screen.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 143394
We've used ours rarely on our '04 - too difficult to install, since it requires opening the doors. The one for our '83 did not need that step, and was quick to install and remove. We used it a lot, at night. We install an inside privacy cover that keeps visibility one-way in the daytime, and close the curtains at night. I modified the curtain installation to avoid side gaps.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 143396
"We've used ours rarely on our '04 - too difficult to install, since it requires opening the doors."

Agreed; that's a nuisance. The Sunpro covers have a diagonal strip of elastic at each upper corner, so the elastic can be slipped over the corner of the door without opening it. (You could add this feature to your factory-supplied cover.) The lower corners of the Sunpro covers have magnets sewn in, so they cling to the door without any need for fasteners. Installation is thus pretty easy, once you wrestle the thing across the windshield and past the wipers.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 143397
The SunPro's are great as Andy has testified, especially if you have a great view out the windshield.  We love ours and find that if you put the covers that come with the cover over the windshield wipers first, the job of putting the Windshield Cover on is simplified.  After placing the cover over the windshield and attaching the elastic strips pull the windshield wipers out and over the cover, then attach the velcro tabs under the rear view mirrors.  A simple task.  At night we run our curtain across the cockpit as the SunPro does not provide privacy when it gets dark.  Similar to our windows, when it is dark and you have lights on inside the rig you appear to be on television to those who pass by outside.

Bob in FL  30IB  AE

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 9:27 PM, "andybaird@..."  wrote:

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 143399
"After placing the cover over the windshield and attaching the elastic strips, pull the windshield wipers out and over the cover..."

Oh! I've been doing it the other way around: putting the covers on the wipers, flipping them up, then dragging the windshield cover into place--which usually catches on the wipers in the process, and flips them down again. Your way sounds much easier. Thanks, Bob! :-)

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 143405
To clarify my comment about letting light in:

Yes, I'm referring to the vinyl cover, both the mothership's & Adco's. The light color of the cover does not block all the light in daytime, making for a much less claustrophobic experience than many expect. Again,  for those of us travelling in the company of dogs, it's a good solution for allowing max interior use with zero forward visibility for our self-proclaimed rig guardians.

Lori Y Godzilla, 24FL
Lori Y
2011 24FL

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 143407
I have the Adco cover I purchased at Amazon.  At the time of my Lazy Daze purchase, Todd told me the factory cover used snaps to hold it in place.  My previous class B had snaps for a windshield cover.  With time the aftermarket snaps were a starting point for rust...very obvious rust spots.

The Adco uses straps and magnets.  I have found it to be generally very good.  Easy to put on and take off. I use it when stored and when camping.    The only very minor complaint is there is minor flapping in very high wind conditions.

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 143415
The outside windshield cover is the only thing that came with our rig, that we have not used once.   It is still folded up in the corner of the cabover and has been since we made the proverbial trip home from the factory.

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 143420
Joan, I looked into that and it seems interesting. the website may have changed:  I found it at www.easycurtain.net.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 143776
This follows up on our earlier question regarding the LD winshield cover and the results of 14 respondents.
 Usage varies from never to always (to the surprise of noone).  Several mentioned usage as insulation, reducing doggy distractions.
 Among alternatives, Sunpro  (www.sunpromfg.com) and a denim interior curtain (www.easycurtain.com) were mentioned. Some have altered the interior fabric or installed a separate interior curtain.
 One point that caught my eye was a report on a non LD rig where the snaps became a source of rust and corrosion.   Todd Miller at the Motherhship responded to my question about it, and reported that they seal the holes in & out as part of installation.
 We have decided to have one put on, for the privacy on the trip home from Montclair and for insullation at the beach in the winter.
We may get another solar screen for the sunny seasons, but that can wait.
 Thanks to all for the responses.  Your input helped settle the question for us.

Joel & Mary Our Rig Without a Name (Orwan)
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 143778
The Easy Curtain (www.easycurtain.net) is not denim; the curtain is made of a heavy nylon fabric, and like the Model T, in any color you want, as long as it's black. ;-)

(Also, does anyone else get a "security warning" when bringing up the Easy Curtain site?)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 143779
I do in Windows 8.1 and Vista.  It appears that there is an application (maybe several) that are not digitally signed and verified.  Your browser/Operating system feels this is a potential hazard.  In future it will protect you by silently blocking it- strictly for your protection.  It may also do that to software you run that it no longer wants to support- but that is another issue.
 Re: denim, I misread your note or bolixed with another.  Thanks for the update.
 joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 143785
I enjoy using my windshield cover for extended stays, especially if it's either really not, or really cold, for extra insulation.  If I'm only crashing for a night or two, I don't bust it out.  It'll help protect your dash in hot weather, plus, if you move any valuables from the back of the bus to store up front while at a campsite, it'll keep nosy eyes from looking in.