Skip to main content
Topic: New Eternabond recommendatons (Read 31 times) previous topic - next topic
New Eternabond recommendatons
Yahoo Message Number: 143357
With the winter coming, I have seen the usual Fall interest in roof resealing.
Up until recently, the 4" wide Eternabond tape was used by most of us. In the last six months or so, I have switched to  the wider, 6" Eternabond tape and been pleased with the additional 1" overlap over the Factory roof seam.
http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=11342&gclid=CLSAq9jswboCFeuDQgodN1sACQ Many times the existing roof seam is over 2" wide, leaving very little overlap on each side with the 4" tape.  Previously, it would be necessary to cut away some of the existing sealant, adding time to the project.
With  the 6" tape, the prep time is decreased, offsettting the increase in cost of the tape plus it provides a superior finished product.. The only real downside is the difficulty of handling the extra wide, 6" tape. While peeling the backing off the tape, the tape can easily get way from you and fold back over itself, instantly scraping the piece you were working with. Once the tape is touched together, it's permanent.
 Another product I'm now using a lot is Eternabond's  EternaPrime spray.
http://www.eternabond.com/EternaPrime-reg-Spray-p/prime%20spray.htm It allows surfaces, that are less than perfect,  to stick to the Eternabond Tape.
I'm now using it in the front corners, where the side and front roof seams meet. These are areas that are prone to leakage and heavy dirt build up. In the corner, regularly found are rusted screw heads and bubbles in the old sealant, some bubbles full of rust and many times water.  It is also used to prime the surface of the front roof seam, the one that takes full impact of wind and rain, while driving.
Check and seal your roof now while the weather is still comfortable. It's tough to do a good job in cold or wet weather.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: New Eternabond recommendatons
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 143370
"How many cans of spray would you need for a 26.5' MB?

Al

One can is enough for several LD's roofs.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 143414
I have an eternabond solution the experts don't even cover in the videos.
Peel back one corner diagonally leaving an exposed triangle on the end.
The protect film is slick as butter on both sides.  Lay down the exposed triangle where you need it and press.  Now the protect film is sticking out from under your tape sideways. Push the eternabond into place and tug on the protect tape at the same time.

The protect fim is SO slick it will slide out from under the Eternabond tape no matter how hard you might be pressing into place. Here is a diagram of the tape and the protect film pulled out from under the application: | | _ _ _

|/| _ _ _ ----> | | | | | |

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 143451
I used the 4" wide tape to redo the roof on Sweet Pea, our 26.5' MidBath and built a small, but simple roll-of-tape holder.  That way I could unwind play out the tape as needed, while keeping the roller just ahead a few feet and in line of the "lay down": then just pull back the paper backing as you secure the tape to the surface.  Worked great and the results have been successful so far.  JB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 145557
I noticed in the LD Companion the supplies state to buy two rolls of tape.  But later it said one was enough.  I am guessing that the extra is for mistakes?  If that is the case can a shorter roll be purchased.  On amazon I only saw the 50 ft lengths.
Yes I intend to get the 6 inch wide tape and the Eternaprime.  I looked at the youtube video and read a couple of accounts by others that have done the job and think I am up to the task.  Finally, it took me a while to find Larry's post below so I thought I would bring it to the foreground incase anyone else is about to do the job.
Take care everyone and happy camping.
John

wrote :

With the winter coming, I have seen the usual Fall interest in roof resealing.
Up until recently, the 4" wide Eternabond tape was used by most of us. In the last six months or so, I have switched to  the wider, 6" Eternabond tape and been pleased with the additional 1" overlap over the Factory roof seam.
http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=11342&gclid=CLSAq9jswboCFeuDQgodN1sACQ Many times the existing roof seam is over 2" wide, leaving very little overlap on each side with the 4" tape.  Previously, it would be necessary to cut away some of the existing sealant, adding time to the project.
With  the 6" tape, the prep time is decreased, offsettting the increase in cost of the tape plus it provides a superior finished product.. The only real downside is the difficulty of handling the extra wide, 6" tape. While peeling the backing off the tape, the tape can easily get way from you and fold back over itself, instantly scraping the piece you were working with. Once the tape is touched together, it's permanent.
 Another product I'm now using a lot is Eternabond's  EternaPrime spray.
http://www.eternabond.com/EternaPrime-reg-Spray-p/prime%20spray.htm It allows surfaces, that are less than perfect,  to stick to the Eternabond Tape.
I'm now using it in the front corners, where the side and front roof seams meet. These are areas that are prone to leakage and heavy dirt build up. In the corner, regularly found are rusted screw heads and bubbles in the old sealant, some bubbles full of rust and many times water.  It is also used to prime the surface of the front roof seam, the one that takes full impact of wind and rain, while driving.
Check and seal your roof now while the weather is still comfortable. It's tough to do a good job in cold or wet weather.

Larry
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 145560
John, You will need the 2 rolls even without mistakes. You will have some left over but that's good for unexpected repairs like leaky gray or black water tanks and other stuff. My 23.5 TK needed about 1.5 rolls to complete. Larry did the work and there was no mistakes/waste.
Bob 01 23.5 TK, JeepCherokee toad at the doc for engine/exhaust mods.
Las Vegas NV. for a few...

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 145561
Great info! Who is Larry? We are getting our 1995 LD the beginning of May. It has been kept in indoor storage most of it's life. I am thinking the roof may need to be redone just because of age. I would rather do it before any leaks start. Can't do it myself as I can't get up & down from roof. Any suggestions on who to contact or where to have it looked at? We will be starting out from Salt Lake City and heading north and west. Thanks, Dan

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 145563
The Larry I was referring to is lw5315us on this group. He does work for a lot of us on the forum and is located in SoCal. I recommend him highly. He is the only one I will let work on my LD.
Bob 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee toad at the doc for engine/exhaust mods.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 145564
Thanks, Bob. Don't know when we might make it to SoCal, but we will keep him in mind.

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 145574
For contact info I would email him at lw513us group id. He is very active on this forum unless on vacation.
Bob 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee toad at he doc for engine/exhaust mods.