Skip to main content
Topic: Thoughts on slides (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Thoughts on slides
Yahoo Message Number: 143296
They are simply too popular to dismiss for reasons already well documented on this board.
 If I was buying a NEW RV (which is a significant investment) I would want to try on for size at least one with a slide or even a couple of them.
 We're spending a lot of time in Parks and seldom see anyone struggling with their slides, in fact I'm often surprised at how fast campers with slides set up and take down.
 I think it boils down to a matter of personal preference and what the budget can handle.

Just my 2c worth.

Todd '99 RB and '02 Honda CRV
Todd (and Steve)
'17 Winnebago Minnie Winnie and '13 Honda CRV
(Former '99 RB owners from 2012-2016)

Re: Thoughts on slides
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 143298
When it come to Class Cs, on a E450 chassis, weight is a real issue. So many of the LDs (and other MHs), 27' and longer,  I have worked on are overloaded (primarily full-timers) ...and LDs don't have slides.
 Any Class C, over 26-28' with slides, is going to have a limited CCC.  I have seen 32' E450 SOB Cs with dual slides, there s no way they have more than just a few pounds of CCC, if any . The RV manufacturers don't seem to care about cargo capacity, customers want slides, so that is what they build. If the customer overloads it, well too bad if the void the warranty or causes other problems.  On the other hand, LD is concerned about weight. I have talked with Steve, at LD,  about slides and the extra weight that slides add is one of his major concerns.  You can have a slide or cargo capacity, take your choice.

As to the dependability of slides, it's crap shot. I put them in the same category as hydraulic lifts, if you own it long enough, it will fail.  I have spent too much time, while camping, helping folks retract their broken lifts or jammed slides. Many time the manual over-rides do not work or require extreme effort to use. Heck, the slide on my brother's 2005 Winnie broke within a couple months of ownership, quality stuff!
 Slides, on most high-end rigs are built much better than many of the lower priced rigs, you get what pay for.
There is the right and wrong way of building a slide, unfortunately a well built one weighs a lot, not a problem in a Pusher or heavier chassis gas rig that has the excess GVW to burn. E450s do not have much excess weight capacity except in the 24' models .

If you like slides, pick another brand of RV, there are plenty to choose from. This group has chosen to own MHs without them for all the previously mention reasons. Complaining about the lack of them is falling on mostly deaf ears. I doubt if LD is going to change soon, if ever.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze