Skip to main content
Topic: Do you miss not having a slide out? (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Do you miss not having a slide out?
Yahoo Message Number: 143259
Hi Lazy Daze community, We are studying to join the RV life style. While visiting the Grand Canyon this summer, we met a Lazy Daze couple who graciously allowed us to see their rig. The quality of the interior was clearly superior to other rv's that we have seen in various showrooms, but sales people keep telling us how nice it is to have a slide-out.
Obviously you don't agree, since you have LD's. Please tell me all the reasons why the sales people are wrong? Thanks Wendy
2002 MB

Re: Do you miss not having a slide out?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 143260
I had a 5th wheel, it was a Hitch Hiker, which is (was) not a low budget model. It had 3 slides, every time I put them out or brought them in I had a pucker attack. Mine were electric and would not operate if the batteries were down a little, unless I was plugged in. Wouldn't have another rig with slides.

Looking at new rigs, look at the wiring and plumbing, LD is far from perfect, but the workmanship shown in their installations is far above most other RVs out there.
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 143262
Hi Wendy,

Welcome to our group!

From my perspective, the downsides to slides are: Loss of carrying capacity due to the added weight of the slide(s) and mechanism.
Loss of some structural integrity (one or more large holes in wall framing) Possibility of failure to either open or close the slide(s) Another place for hot/cold/rain/pests to enter the rig due to worn seals or gaps.
Some of the places we camp could preclude extending a slide

HTH, Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 143263
One word Quality LD are built above and beyond what the cookie cutter RV's have imho

Johnny B

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 143264
Agree with older fossil--added weight plus failure, defective seals with leaks and/or pests, etc. Had three on our last RV, a 2004 high-end 40-foot diesel pusher with tag axle. They never failed for us, but did for others with similar rigs. We never expected them to work, were always surprised when they did, and we were always very, very careful and mindful with them. We ran the engine to keep the hydraulic pressure and power strong when we operated them. We like not having to fool with them. Our 2013 27 RB does not seem narrow without slides. (Note: The pusher burned when the Norcold went up in flames.)

s/Terry Apple (and our version of a Baby Blue Bentley)
Terry Apple
2013 RB 27 Baby Blue Bentley

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 143265
Be sure to dig my "slide survey" results out of the archived email messages for an interesting look at about 50 LD owner.s perspectives on slides.
 We have spent a lot of time in our '99 RB this year (4 months by the time we put her away at Thanksgiving) and don't feel cramped. Oddly, we like the proximity of the 2 couches to each other (without a big gap with the slide out arrangement) as the dogs hop back and forth freely between them. :) And as I look at other rigs, I seldom see the 2 couch configuration with upholstery (most have leather and usually a club chair or recliner). But it's hard not to wonder about slides as most RV's have them and not just 1 but often 3!
Todd (and Steve)
'17 Winnebago Minnie Winnie and '13 Honda CRV
(Former '99 RB owners from 2012-2016)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 143266
Wendy:  We were LD owners for about 30 years with four different LD's.   I never missed the slides and pretty much agreed with the LD folks who cited the problems.  When we decided to spend more time on the road I (again) spoke with Steve at the factory and his philosophy is NEVER in a Lazy Daze.   So, we traded in the LD on a new Tiffin Allegro.   At 34 feet it drives about the same as our 31' LD, but "wobbles" a bit more because it's 12' high.   But.....the slides are wonderful and the extra room is great.   They are hydraulic (not electric) and so far no problems.  When they are "in" the move around room inside the RV is about the same as the LD.   All-in-all, it was good decision for us and the benefits of the slides far outweigh the potential problems.   Remember, RV slides are like everything else on an RV and they may, or may not, ever be an issue.   Good luck.    Gale
G N Wilson
2008 Mid-Bath

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 143268
"Please tell me all the reasons why the sales people are wrong? " ---- The sales people are not necessarily "wrong" on the question of slides, but, obviously, their job is to convince you take them at their word and to buy whatever they're selling; sales people can, and do, tell a prospective buyer whatever they sense that the buyer wants to hear.  The *accuracy* of a sales person's information is often in question; many know little or nothing about the product they're selling and rely on the probability that the prospective buyer doesn't, either!
 Some people wouldn't buy a rig without a slideout; they feel that any space gained is worth the potential problems.  (Or, more likely, IMO, they know nothing about weight issues and/or slideout problems in general and have been convinced by a salesperson that even a small amount of increased space will be worth it!) And, some (like me) have zero interest in having a rig with a slide; I can't miss what I've never had, but from what I've read and observed on several occasions, what I'm "missing" is a small increase in floor space as a trade-off for a weight increase of 300-600 pounds per slide (or more, in a large rig) and potential problems with a poorly designed and/or engineered slide that leaks air and water, sags, and that has opening and closing glitches; for me, the fewer things to go wrong on an already complex piece of machinery, the better!
 If, after doing all the research you can on slides you decide that a rig with one (two, three, four) is what will fit your RV life and travel style, there won't be a Lazy Daze in your future. ;-)

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 143271
Hi Wendy:

You might want to consider what kind of camping you expect to do.  If you see yourself staying in one spot for a protracted amount of time, the slides may be worthwhile.  If you overnight here and there on a short term basis while traveling around, a slide might not be the best idea. Further, are you expecting "to do things", like hiking for example, when you get to a camp site, or are you planning to spend a lot of time indoors?  We tend to spend as little time indoors as possible, so a slide makes no sense for us.

As noted previously, the slide mechanisms add weight.  This needs to be calculated in your Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity.  In other words, the slide(s) cuts down on the amount of people and stuff you can carry, not withstanding the room or beds you have available.

Also, as noted previously, slides can be problems.  Last June, while camping at Jackson Wyoming, a family near us in a 5th wheel had their slide out and it failed.  We saw approximately five adults pushing on it trying to get it retracted.  I don't know how it ended.

Best wishes on your selection.

Bob
2011 MB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 143273
The best way to answer the question about slide-outs is to read some different accounts of people's experiences having them repaired.

First of all, the one constant in the RV marketplace (and life in general), is that change is constant. In other words, companies come and and companies go; LD has been around for 57 years, which I believe is the oldest in the industry.

Now, when I refer to 'companies', I'm not just addressing the top level manufacturers - you need to consider the multitude of parts suppliers as well. You can probably guess where this is going - yep, the suppliers who make the motors, hydraulic systems, gears, etc that comprise the internal slide-out systems can and do go out of business. (Voided warranties is the least of your problems at this point. Just getting a comparable part becomes the key challenge.)

So, this is where it gets interesting: let's say the slide-out has a cheap nylon screw/gear that somehow gets off-track or is stripped. How does one go about repairing and replacing? Well, first of all, those slide-outs are heavy suckers, but even better, they are in an awkward spot, so you can't just use a winch to elevate them. Nope, you gotta come in sideways using a skip/jack-loader.

But how do you access the internal gears in order to release the mechanism(s) & connection points so the skip loader can pull away with the unit? Glad you asked - you need to tear out the internal wall paneling to gain access. Cool, huh?

Now, for the grand finale, what happens when parts are available? That's right, the whole thing has to be retrofitted to handle some other after-market part/unit. Are you starting to see why slide-outs are the best thing to ever happen to the RV industry? The sales person makes more money, but even better, the service & maintenance folks have a guaranteed flow of inventory coming in the door.

To paraphrase Voltaire, if slide-outs didn't exist, the RV manufacturers would have to invent them. Consider, and perhaps respect, why Steve @ LD says "never". Do some research, and consider the issue from an engineering point-of-view. Do you want to spend your free time on the road, or tossing $5k a pop at some nightmare maintenance situation?

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 143275
We don't have a Lazy Daze for the reason that they don't have slides.  We have full-timed and move around approximately every week or so and have had slides for 16 years with absolutely no problems and they are used constantly. Since we hang around with full-timers, we honestly do not know of another person who has had trouble with slides. Granted, I'm sure there are some that do but it's not commonplace and it's of no concern. Once you live in a RV with slides you'll never return to one without.
 We have considered slowing up and getting a smaller RV but because of the Lazy Daze issues it will not be a consideration.  We walk into them and get claustophobic.
 Beachfamilynagel's comments are all 'what ifs'.  They don't happen in the real world.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 143279
Both my wife and I are new to RVing.  I got a MidBath.  It is like the very short LD but with the rear "slide" permanently out.  We chose it, the LD MidBath, for the extra CCC, simplicity and windows over units with slides.

Gina and I came to RVing from tent camping.  I am ok with working on things and figuring them out when problems occur but as I get older I would rather not.  Gina, is less comfortable (though very capable) than I am.  Having a LD gives us the comfort level we wanted when for things like driving to camp,  then setting up and breaking camp.  Sometimes we don't even hook up at camp if the weather is nice (or at least once if it was raining cats and dogs).  You can do that in the RVs with a slide that we looked at but it is not very comfortable.

The folks that introduced us to RVing have always had RV's with a slide.  They have never had an issue that I am aware of.  They both like the extra room.  But you can not have big windows and a slide too. To much of a weight penalty I am told.
John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 143283
"Beachfamilynagel's comments are all 'what ifs'. They don't happen in the real world."
 My experience has been otherwise. In fact, just last week a family in this campground came to the front office to ask for help, because they could not retract their slides.
 And that wasn't the first time I've seen it happen--not by a long shot! I remember being at an Escapade (Escapees get-together), and when it came time to leave, the family parked next to me couldn't get their slides in. I watched out my windows as the man lay underneath, laboriously cranking the manual retract shaft with a socket wrench and cursing fluently, while his wife leaned against the slideout to try to help push it in.
 I've seen a number of similar incidents, as have other RVers I know. One RV service tech told me that he and his coworkers have a saying: "There are only two kinds of slides--those that have failed and those that will fail."
 Ask yourself what a slideout gives you in return for what you sacrifice (cargo capacity, structural rigidity, watertightness, and so on). What exactly do you get? Extra floor space. That's all. You don't get extra storage space--in fact, you usually get less--or more places to sit or work, or indeed anything really useful. Just a little more empty floor. I can't see the value proposition there.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 143286
To add to Andy's example, I  have more.
 Last December my wife and I camped at Ft. De Soto (Pinellas County, FL) Park.  Our daughter was to be in a near by site with her pop-up.  When we got there, we found that she had been assigned to a different site.  The reason was that the 5th-wheel occupying her reserved site was not able to leave because of a jammed slide-out.
 I forget, which RV magazine had the article, but slides were the number 1 reason for an RV service call.
 Also, while camping at Escapee home base in Livingston, Texas, I noted a neighboring Jayco class C with slides and the generator exhaust pipe under a slide.  The generator itself was on the other side of the rig.  What idiot came out with that floor plan design?  Perhaps the Auschwitz would be a good name for it. :)

Alex Rutchka, SE #4 '05 MB

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 143289
Sorry, I totally disagree with all of the statements that slides are a BIG problem in RVs.  Do any of you look at RV.net/Woodalls forum?  Do you see posts after posts of slides being the #1 problem?  I surely don't.  I'll re-state that in 16 years of full-timing and using the slides constantly, we have not have a one problem.  We have not witnessed anyone else in campgrounds with problems either.  Again, I'm sure some slides have problems as things in RVs usually do.  Just look at this Lazy Daze forum and you'll read about problems after problems....... and you all don't even have slides! Wow!!

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 143335
A friend of mine has a wife, two kids, and three dogs in a 24' Class C with a slide. The extra floor space is the difference between a good time and a bad time while on vacation. I had not previously appreciated how useful it could be to a family, but I agree it's not very important if it's only one or two adults traveling in it.
 We've replaced our 1998 24' Class C SOB with a 2005 25' Class C SOB. The floor plan is identical, but the newer one has a slide, so we'll find out how much we like it; fortunately, it has slightly more room in it than the old one, even when the slide is in, so we don't need to use it.

Eric Greenwell
  wrote, On 10/23/2013 7:00 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS