Skip to main content
Topic: Winter removal and storage of batteries (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Winter removal and storage of batteries
Yahoo Message Number: 143241
We are wintering in cold Michigan for the first time, and are thinking about removing the batteries and reinstalling them in the spring.  I searched the messages, but found little help.  Do I disconnect the batteries and just remove them, or is there a fuse under the refer I need to pull too?  Is this fuse tripped when the batteries are pulled?  Instructions or pointers from someone who has done this would be much appreciated.
 The LD will be stored under cover, but cold.  Batteries will be stored indoors.

Thanks, and brrrrrr already.

Diane Carlson
2004 MB Deja Blue

Flooded cell batteries w two panels
also.

Re: Winter removal and storage of batteries
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 143247
Hi Diane,
 Our rig winters in Ohio; probably not quite as cold as Michigan but we do experience some sub zero temps most winters.
 Regarding the coach batteries, I leave them in the rig all winter. My rig has the Lazy Daze installed battery disconnect switch that I use to turn the  batteries off during storage. Using the disconnect switch prevents the batteries from running down during extended periods from things  like the propane detector and the radio. I do cover my rig during winter which prevents the solar panels from charging the batteries. The battery disconnect switch makes it easy to turn the batteries back on so I can exercise the genset each month.
 If your rig doesn't have the disconnect switch, you can just disconnect the battery cables to accomplish the same thing. My Lazy Daze manual states that when removing the battery cables, you should remove the negative cable first, (the black one) and then the positive cable. But when reconnecting the cables, connect the positive (red) and then the negative (black) cables.
 The important thing to remember is that a battery in weak condition will freeze fairly easily, so make sure the batteries are at full charge before either turning the batteries off or disconnecting them. This process has worked for me for over 10 years.

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 143249
"The important thing to remember is that a battery in weak condition will freeze fairly easily..."

Yup. And as I can testify from experience in years gone by, once a battery freezes, you might as well throw it away--chances are it will never hold a charge again. I killed two engine batteries that way before learning my lesson.

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 143250
Back in 1967, while living on the Navajo Indian Reservation, we had a 1966 Volkswagen. Had another vehicle to use during the winter, so the Volkswagen was stored outside with a cover. Unfortunately, I left the dome light on before putting on the cover.  It gets really, really cold on the Reservation. We saw -40F a couple of days.
 When I wanted to put the Volkswagen back in service, I discovered that the battery was completely dead and frozen. Not having a lot of money in those days, I decided to try to bring it back to life. First, I brought it into the house so it could thaw for a couple of days. Then I put a battery charger on it. The circuit breaker would keep popping, but each time I reset it, the charger would stay on a little longer. With a lot of patience over a few days, the battery was fully charged. Some kind of miracle. I know this would normally not be possible, but just wanted to show that sometimes you can get away with it.

Dick

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 143267
Thanks Andy, Dick and others.  A weaker battery is one of my concerns.  I suppose we can try wintering with batteries in and switch to AGMs with a solar upgrade if the batteries die.

Just trying to do right by Deja Blue.  We are also used to pulling vehicle parts.
Not used to the complication of solar and Pro-Fill.

Thanks.

Diane Carlson
2004 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 143270
"I suppose we can try wintering with batteries in and switch to AGMs with a solar upgrade if the batteries die."

One of the nice things about AGMs is that it's almost impossible to freeze them. Of course, letting them fully discharge isn't the best idea, but at least they wouldn't be destroyed.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"