Skip to main content
Topic: First time waxing (Read 21 times) previous topic - next topic
First time waxing
Yahoo Message Number: 143210
My son and I are "waxing" our LD (2013 31 TB) today for the first time.  We are using the LD recommended polymer this time around.  Heading to the storage facility and will do all the work there (they have already washed it).  Have all the supplies (I use to detail vehicles while in college) but as I sit here it dawned on me....do you wax the roof?? Of course in our other two SOB they had rubber roofs so this never entered the equation.  Thanks for any quick help!  Bill
2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....

Re: First time waxing
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 143211
I would not wax the roof, just wash it good.

Jerry in Mira Loma 2000 30 IB
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 143212
I don't wax the roof.  On my '11 it is not as glossy as the sides and it doesn't often show.

I do try to keep it clean and wash it with extension pole/brush.  I pay particular attention to the polyurethane sealant which tends to collect dirt, and at least on the first year gave up some kind of oils which left some streaks on the side during rains.

I highly recommend Meguiar's Gold Quick Detailer for areas which do not need polish or cleaner wax.  Water beads from the Quick Detailer as long as typical wax, and it is very easy to apply.   I save the rubbing and hard work for areas where it is actually needed (bugs, deposits, scuffs etc.).

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 143213
Bill, Yes, I do wax the roof once a year with Nu Finish liquid, the same as I use on the rest of the coach. At first, I didn't do the roof, but when camping under some types of trees during a rain, the roof would stain badly. This now is minimized with the waxed surface. I also wash the roof each time I clean the coach so removing the dirt up there holds down the streaking down the sides of the coach.
Mike
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 143214
Please don't wax the roof.  That would make it slippery.  Do instead keep the roof clean by washing.

I'm pretty sure that the dirt streaks that form on sides are washed-off dust from the roof. The up-hill side in storage stays clean, even if there is only an inch or two side-hill.  The streaks wash off pretty easily but I gotta keep after them.

John

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 143215
"Please don't wax the roof. That would make it slippery. Do instead keep the roof clean by washing."

I agree with John, and if you call the factory I think you'll find that they agree as well. They give the roof a slightly rough nonskid finish on purpose, because they know you'll be walking up there at some point. Keep it clean, but DO NOT try to wax it to a shiny gloss.
 If it's clean, there won't be any streaking, because there won't be any dirt to run off the sides. Waxing wouldn't accomplish anything.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 143216
Bill
 I would not wax the roof simply because you want the surface rough, for safety, and no one sees it anyway.
To promote roof safety and to protect the roof structure, I place strips of 3M Safety-Walk tape over each roof joist.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=GS8VLLDCW9gsD5ZMH5M73SglSLVR8WDDFDbl
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/1416467930/in/set-72157602095130748

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 143217
Bill
 To add to my previous posting, I scrub the roof often with soapy water and a brush to remove oil, dirt and the sea salt that accumulates on the coach. I want the roof as clean as possible with no slip hazards. Wax will make it more slippery.

Larry
Larry

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 143222
update....With the help of my youngest son we completed the project...and we didn't wax the roof. Once I climbed on top there was no way I was going to wax it...the fact that my arms were completely dead was a bit of a helper in that decision!!

I was less than impressed with the LD recommended polymer. My next go around I probably will clay bar and then follow up with a different product (possibly a Meguiar's product).

Thanks for all the input; time for some Advil....

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 143228
Bill, I well remember my first time waxing, in spring, 2009.  I too used the factory-recommended polymer sealant.  I found it to be very hard work.  The effort of rubbing that sealant into the finish, which dragged at it, was large.
 Here's the thing - I stayed with the factory-recommended sealant, and re-waxed about every 4 months.  Over time, it became easier, until now it is a very simple, wipe on, wipe off, with very little effort needed.  The finish no longer drags at the polymer. Instead, the rag slides as if on a film of oil.  Once rubbed on, the dried film wipes off almost as easily.  My finish looks like new, after 5 years of full-timing, wintering in the southwestern desert, and this is the silver-charcoal grey finish, which Steve said ages as quickly as the red - the two worst colors in terms of aging and sun and ozone damage.
 I have demonstrated this to a number of others in the group.  The key (to me) is the regular repetition.  The waxing is now an easy half-day chore for me, working alone.  The first time, with a friend helping, it took us 3 days of arm-numbing labor.  There is no way I would now change to another product. I urge you to not be too quick to move to another product.
 And if you are in or passing through southern NM, feel free to stop by and see for yourself.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 143234
Bill, many of us have used Finish First polish over the years, and if you want to see discussion on this, do a look-up on this site. It's easy to apply and easy to buff off. This year I decided to use Nu Finish wax on the rear of my '02 30' because that's the side that gets morning sun in my covered storage facility, and I wanted something stronger to remove some streaks and oxidized paint. The Nu Finish worked well and did a better job than FF but it's painful and time-consuming to apply and buff off, so I won't be doing the whole coach. I have the red paint scheme and it's a bear to keep nice. I polish once a year - every October before he goes in storage. BTW, I selected Nu Finish because it got a reasonably high rating in Consumer Reports.

Chris H
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 143246
Hi, Guys & Gals

Obviously, I'm too late for this go-round on waxing.

Search for: red max pro acrylic
 Red Max Pro and ZEP Wet Look are the same product.  The Red Max line  was packaged for and sold by Lowes.  ZEP is available at HD, Lowes and  other places.

It's not a wax, but an acrylic finish.
A friend from another group was on the ship that the Navy used for a  test.  WOW!

His comment (abridged):

Hi All, I know you saw Byron Songer's post about the results some have had using ZEP wet look floor wax on their motorhomes. Background: I was in the USN stationed on the first ship that ZEP introduced this product on for test purposes. Lord knows how often (weekly) tile decks on ships have to be stripped, rinsed, waxed and buffed. We followed their strict procedures and the difference was phenomenal. After thorough stripping and cleaning, three light coats of that stuff was applied. 30 minutes min between coats. The decks looked like they had a layer of water on them and no amount of traffic seemed to scuff the stuff. The weekly ritual of stripping, rinsing etc was reduced to damp mopping, and burnishing with a brush buffer attachment. The stuff was bullet proof and probably saved the USN millions in cleaning supplies and time.

If, after reading testimonials, anyone is interested enough to try it,  I have the tutorial.
The hardest part is getting all the dirt and old wax off.
RonC

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 143248
Hi All,

I have a 2003 Red LD/FL that needs a wax job. My friend has volunteered to help me. He wants to use a wax called Zee wax. Has anyone used this wax before. It's made here locally in Moreno Valley; which is out in Riverside County California. We used it on my 88 Ford F-250 Supercab Lariet a few weeks ago and it looks great. Maybe I just answered my own question. Anybody use the product or have any feedback thanks.

Red Sky

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 143251
"I have a 2003 Red LD/FL that needs a wax job. My friend has volunteered to help me. He wants to use a wax called Zee wax"

Steve

Looking at the Zee Best Wax website.
http://www.digitalmerchant.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=D&Product_Code=0001&Category_Code=SZBC It reads "Simply Z-Best is a non-abrasive,  swirl free, Carnauba formula car wax. Z-Best enhances all automotive  finishes including newer cars with clear coats and will restore oxidized  finishes" Carnauba is a great wax for a car with a beautiful paint job but it needs to be applied every few months to maintain its protection.
 Polymers waxes last much longer and are more appropriate unless waxing your LD is so enjoyable that you will want to do it several times a year.
Through the years I have tried most of the of the brand name polymers waxes and they all will do a good job as long as it is done at a minimum of once a year. I like to clean the paint once a year using a clay bar.
http://www.mothers.com/02_products/07240.html

Larry
Larry