Skip to main content
Topic: About those wonderful GPS devices (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
About those wonderful GPS devices
Yahoo Message Number: 142966
Saw this about a couple blindly following their GPS in Oregon.
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/09/30/couple-stuck-in-mud-for-2-nights-after-gps-leads-motor-home-to-oregon-back-road/

Our GPS got us this summer. We were going from Eagle's Nest in northern NM to Conchos Dam, NM in the east central part of the state. Glenda routed us on NM 434, which starts off as a narrow winding road through pasture land. Then it gets more narrow. Then it's unstriped, 1.5 lanes narrow and winds down Coyote Creek. Turn around. Where? No shoulder and fenced on both sides. Plenty of traffic, so it could not be that bad we reasoned. I gave an on-coming truck too much room and crushed the sidewall on a sharp rock. Blowout. Found a pull-off 200 yards down the road where I could just get off the road. We put out the reflective warning triangles. No cell phone coverage and many miles to nearest town. I have not changed a tire in over 20 years. Did not know if I could break the air hammer tight lugs or not. Fortunately we had a flat gravel surface for the jack and in only an hour, we had it changed. Quite a few cars were on 434 with us, all with out-of-state plates following their GPS.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: About those wonderful GPS devices
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 142969
One reason we don't use a GPS and rely on paper maps (for the Western states, we use Benchmarks' state atlases).

Linda Hylton
Linda Hylton

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 142970
Linda, I don't use a GPS, either, preferring paper maps and Benchmarks.  However, I'm pretty sure that even if we *did* use a GPS, we'd have enough sense not to let the thing take over our brains and lead us miles down some goat track before we figured it out!  ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 142973
Two years ago, I was driving from Lincoln City, OR to Mt St Helens, WA.  I started with a paper map, which showed what seemed like an OK road from Beaver to Newberg.  I dialed those waypoints into my GPS and followed the route.  The road started as a good two lane road with shoulders.  First, the shoulders disappeared, then the width dropped to 18 to 20 feet, then it became a steep, winding gravel road.  After I crossed the high point on the coastal range, it gradually improved, but I spent part of that drive seriously concerned about what might be in front of me.
 Andy said it best some time ago.  A GPS is nothing more than a paper map with a moving pointer that tells you where you are on that map.  Software then gets added to help you find routes and destinations, but that software is not GPS - it is an added function.  If you have bad software it can make bad decisions.  If you have a bad map, the best software in the world doesn't know that.
 If you blindly follow a GPS, thinking it knows all, you WILL get into a problem someday.  What Mike experienced could easily have been me.  But here is the thing - if Mike, or I, were using paper maps only, the same thing could have happened if that route showed on the map.  A line on a map that looks convenient and inviting or interesting may draw you onto it.  Once on that road, when it turns bad you may have very few options.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 142975
I have to partially disagree with that.  GPS has nothing to do with maps.  It shows your exact location in longitude and latitude on the earth within a few feet.  You can use that information with a map, and the accuracy of the map is critical, but the GPS system is not going to give you an inaccurate location.

Dick

exterior Paint issue on "03 MB
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 142978
Hi all,  I have noted bubbling of the paint in several areas on the Mid Bath exterior.  Most of the bubbles are dime size, but recently a few of the bubbles broke and revealed corroded metal below.  I called Vince and he said he needs to see it to diagnosis it and determine a plan to deal with it.  He also said his repair calender was booked solid until Feb. 2014.  He could look at it any time to determine what to do, but the fix will be several months after he looks at it.
 So, have any of you had the metal below the paint corrode?  How have you/repair shop corrected the problem.  I'm hoping to avoid making two trips to  the mothership.  Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Doug

Re: exterior Paint issue on "03 MB
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 142980
In a message dated 10/2/2013 10:00:59 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  dougberry51@... writes:
Hi all,  I have noted bubbling of the paint in    several areas on the Mid Bath exterior.

Doug,  I have the same  year and model LD,  and no bubbles on my machine.  John in  Escondido,  CA
John in Escondido,  CA

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 142983
It is bubbling in the space between the refrigerator vent door and the moulding before the drivers door. There is a space of about three inches of flat metal and it is in there that the bubbling occurred.

Doug

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 142994
"I have noted bubbling of the paint in   several areas on the Mid Bath exterior."
 I have a 2003 Twin-King and there is bubbling on the strip on the sides.  I don't know what you call the "strip"  exactly.  It started to bubble soon after I bought my Lazy Daze.  Steve wouldn't do anything about it and said that it was due to salt.  I don't drive my RV much in the winter so I don't know where it would have gotten salt.  I asked a body repair shop and they said it would be difficult if impossible to repair.  They thought that Lazy Daze did not prepare the undercoating properly.  When I placed my order I had a specific pick up date written in the contract.  When I called Ed shortly before the pick up date, he seemed to have forgotten about the specific date in the contract.  My guess is that Lazy Daze then rushed and did not properly do the undercoating.

Monica NE10
Monica
2017 MB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 142997
Thank you for sharing your experience, Monica. Vince also told me it was salt damage. Odd because I live 10 miles away from the Calif coast, and have never had salt damage to anything in over 30 years.  I thought the paint was one of the things LD warrantees. I'll have to start checking on that.
Any other LD owners received paint repairs under warrantee?

Doug