Skip to main content
Topic: Toastation Advice (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Toastation Advice
Yahoo Message Number: 142938
After 46 years of housekeeping I have, in 2013 alone, finally succumbed to the lures of toaster ovens...and I have just installed a new Toastation in the LD...now come the questions.

1.  Does anyone use a silicone mat/hot pad underneath it when its in use?  
2.  Where does one store this appliance when underway?  Or do the little feet keep it from dancing off the counter?

Advice from experienced users would be most appreciated (I don't know if there's a Toastation discussion group, so I'm hitting up LWALD).

TinaP 2006 MB "Wild Thing" Busy packing-cleaning-hoping to take off in 2 weeks for our annual 7-month ramble
2006 MB

Re: Toastation Advice
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 142939
Hi Tina,
 We bought ourselves Toastation as well.  We do not need a silicone pad/mat underneath it when it is in use.
 We store ours in the cupboard beneath the dinette seat on the left.  Don't know anything about the little feet dancing off the counter...mine works beautifully, when manned by my wonderful hubby!  : )

Safe Travels, Donna and Jim The Lazy Daizy 1997 RB of Vaughn, WA

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 142941
Nothing is needed to protect the counter. I leave my Toastation in place between my midbath's stove and sink all the time. It rattles a bit while I'm underway, but not enough to bother me. In three years of travel (including some very rough roads), it hasn't suffered any damage, and I still use it almost daily when plugged in, and even occasionally when dry-camping. (It draws about 1,200 watts--20% less than the microwave oven.)

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 142953
Hi Tina, We keep our Toastation on the counter all the time.......it just fits between the sink and the stove top in our 30' IB.  We've had no movement for the three or so years we've had it.  It works great!  I'd just mention that it sometimes sets off the smoke alarm by the door, so I usually take down the alarm for the few minutes the Toastation is in use.  The Toastation is one of many ideas we've gotten from Andy Baird over the years.  Thanks again, Andy! Donna and Bob NE 29

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 142958
A note about the smoke alarm by the door... I recall that Andy mentioned he'd moved his a while back. I did this several months ago, moving the smoke alarm to the front of the lounge area in our '02 30'. It was easy to do. I filled the old holes with Spackle and touched them up with Wite-Out and it's hard to see where it was. No more false alarms.

Chris H
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 142964
"We keep our Toastation on the counter all the time......  We've had no movement  for the three or so years we've had it."

It alarms me seeing how much stuff folks leave on their counter tops while driving.
Velcro, rubber feet and earthquake wax can work great for holding a toaster oven and other items in place, on counter tops, for normal driving conditions but will fail during a hard accident.
 Nothing should be left on counter tops that could fly forward and hit the driver and/or passenger in the back of the head in the event of a hard impact.    Imagine the damage a toaster oven could do, flying into the back of your head at 60-MPH.
 For a safer driving environment,  toaster ovens, and the rest of the counter top clutter, should be stowed, screwed down or tethered, while traveling.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 142965
Your point is well taken, Larry,  but the hazard depends on the floorplan. In the case of a midbath, objects left on the kitchen counter, such as the Toastation, are blocked by the refrigerator from flying toward the driver. Similarly, in a twin/king Lazy Daze the bathroom blocks objects in the kitchen from reaching the driver.

On the other hand, models such as the popular 27' rear bath and 31' LDs do leave a clear space between the kitchen and the cab, so in those cases it's wiser not to leave objects like the Toastation out on the counter while traveling.

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 142971
Does anyone beside moi remember "Flying Toasters"?  -- Way back when if you wanted a unique screen saver one had to pay money for that latest "invention."

Lorna Sunny Santa Cruz made2wander.blogspot.com
2003 RB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 142974
To avoid being "toast", I wouldn't count on the fridge, or other structure, protecting the driver or other occupants from flying objects in an accident. Often G-forces will act upon vehicle and occupants in multiple directions during an accident sequence.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer