Skip to main content
Topic: Mt. directory/smart phone question (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Mt. directory/smart phone question
Yahoo Message Number: 142935
I see where the web page states that the e-format The Mountain Directory ebooks WILL NOT WORK ON A MAC unless you are running Windows.
The Mountain Directory ebooks WILL NOT WORK ON HANDHELD DEVICES like the iPad.
These ebooks are designed exclusively for PCs and laptops running Windows.

I just recently went "smart phone" and now have a Samsung Galaxy s4....I can plug it in to my Pc laptop and it shows up just like a file manager. I'm wondering if the Android Os, that easily syncs w/Windows will run the e-book version? For me, this would be much preferable to the printed book...much more accessible as I'm traveling.

Has anyone used the e-book version with a smart phone?

Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "CHERRYOTTE" our litte red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Re: Mt. directory/smart phone question
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 142937
"I'm wondering if the Android Os, that easily syncs w/Windows will run the e-book version?"
 Unfortunately, the answer is no. The Mountain Directory web page specifies that "The Mountain Directory ebooks are EXE files delived [sic] via direct download. They will only work on computers that are running Windows." They mean that literally: only Windows PCs need apply.
 Android devices run Android. iPhones and iPads run iOS. Even Windows phones (if anybody actually owns one of those) can't actually run Windows software. Neither can Microsoft's Surface RT Windows tablets, despite the misleading name. (Those are the tablets they just took a billion-dollar loss on, due to unsold inventory.) None of these devices can do a thing with the Mountain Directory .exe files.
 The only non-laptop mobile device that could possibly use the "Mountain Directory" ebooks is Microsoft's expensive "Surface Pro" tablet. But for less money than one of those costs, you can buy a Windows UltraBook and get a faster processor, a bigger screen, and a far better keyboard. (Or you could buy a MacBook Air and run Windows on it when necessary, as I occasionally do on my iMac. It's just as fast as a "real" PC.) That probably explains why the Surface Pro tablet has been a resounding flop. But I digress. ;-)
 I sent the following email to the publisher, urging them to open up their ebooks to more modern platforms. If you feel as I do, I encourage you to do likewise. Be polite--it's a small outfit, and they probably don't have a lot of resources to throw at software development.

To: mtndir@...

I and many other RVers depend upon these books for safe traveling--in fact, I recommend them prominently on my "Eureka" website:
 http://www.andybaird.com/Eureka/pages/mountain.htm

Since most folks I know use Mac and PC laptops, and increasingly iPads, an ebook version would be very welcome. But instead, your would-be customers get slapped in the face with this:
 "The Mountain Directory ebooks WILL NOT WORK ON A MAC unless you are running Windows. The Mountain Directory ebooks WILL NOT WORK ON HANDHELD DEVICES like the iPad."
 Come on, folks--Windows-only in this day and age...?? Putting ebooks on Macs and (especially) iPads is not rocket science. If your current software developer can't handle anything but Microsoft, find one who can. Limiting your ebook edition to Windows laptops severely limits your prospective sales. I hope you'll reconsider.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"