Skip to main content
Topic: Rear Tire Cover Nut (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
Rear Tire Cover Nut
Yahoo Message Number: 142915
I had a similar experience a few years ago. I stopped at a plain ole vanilla corner garage and got the mechanic to put his air-powered wrench on it and presto....off it came. I think the vibration is the trick. Slipped him five bucks and we were both happy.
 Since then I tighten the nut only finger-tight and check it occasionally to make sure it's still holding.

WxToad @ Kirtland AFB, ABQ, NM

. Spare Tire Posted by:   mr_quarkwrench Date: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:27 pm ((PDT))

We have a 1993 22' rear bath coach.  The nut holding the spare tire cover just turns when trying to open.  The nut and stud both rotate.  The former owner suggested taking out the tail light nearest the spare on the right side of the MH near the ladder so I could reach in with a wrench and hold the bolt with a wrench

Re: Rear Tire Cover Nut
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 142932
An impact wrench, as mentioned, may work . . . but it also could make the situation worse. I would first slip a putty knife between the tire cover and coach body. Press hard against the bolt and then see if a wrench will turn the nut. Better would be a putty knife with a "V" ground into the end. Apply some WD-40 or Liquid Wrench sparingly to the nut, then wait awhile. (Don't use the 50/50 mixture of Acetone and ATF . . . even though this is the best performing thread penetrant, you don't want Acetone on the plastic cover.)

In a worst case scenario, one could try the nut cracker as suggested, but I'm not sure it would work well on an acorn nut. One could use a Dremel tool with cutoff wheel to cut off the end of the acorn nut exposing the end of the bolt. Then use the cutoff wheel to cut a screwdriver slot in the exposed bolt end. Then apply penetrating oil to the bolt and hold the bolt from turning with a screwdriver while removing nut.

With everything apart, to fix the loose bolt, you might drill two some small holes near bolt and use a syringe to inject some epoxy glue to secure the bolt.

I made a knurled black Delrin finger nut for my cover. Doesn't have to be tight to hold securely as the plastic threads naturally hold in place.

As to accessing the bolt head through the tail light housing . . . maybe, but there may be wood framing in the way. The tail light "can" is doubtless glued in place with the urethane caulk that LD seems to use for everything, so working it free by prying would be the way to go - - protect the painted surface with a putty knife or similar.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Re: Rear Tire Cover Nut
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 142934
Oops, forgot one step. If using a cutoff wheel, it is very important to keep the nut and bolt from getting hot enough to melt plastic. Use a spray or squirt bottle with water to keep it cool.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer