Skip to main content
Topic: Front Lounge vs Rear Lounge (Read 44 times) previous topic - next topic
Front Lounge vs Rear Lounge
Yahoo Message Number: 142756
I have not physically looked at any of the Lazy Daze models however in looking at some of the early to mid 80's models and the pictures provided by the sellers it appears to me that the front lounge models have a larger rear bathroom than the mid bathroom of the rear lounge. Is this a fact or just the way the photos make it look.

thanks Bill

Re: Front Lounge vs Rear Lounge
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 142757
Any of the rear bath models are going to have a much larger bath than those with the bath in any other location. It stands to reason as the rear bath is across the entire back of the motorhome. Take a look at the floor plans on the LD website and you will get a better idea.

So, it's a fact Bill.

Dick

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 143497
But the rear lounge is the best model overall in my opinion. I like mine so much I want another. And the two barrel chairs are so much better.

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:08 PM, W6CCD  wrote:

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 143499
We each have our own preferences, and our own reasons for those preferences.  In my case, when I was evaluating different floor plans, one of my considerations was time.  I tried to estimate how much of my day would be spent in the kitchen/dinette, how much in the bedroom/lounge, and how much in the bathroom.  I then made my choice based on where I spent the most time and where I wanted to have the most comfort, tempering the time factor with what the minimum acceptable comfort in any given area would be.

Ken F in NM with my MB, and very happy with my choice.
'08 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 143501
Hi All,

Being a tall man 6'- 4" I needed to find a Motorhome with enough leg room so I could drive comfortably. I found that many Class C Motorhomes including LD's, either had a couch or a dinette directly behind the driver seat. In the case of LD's Rear king(which I wanted to buy) before I realized the bathroom wall was directly behind the driver's seat. Even the 2013 LD Front Dinette Models have the couch directly behind the driver's seat. So I found a 2003 23.5 LD Front Lounge Model that had two moveable barrel chairs located behind the driver. Now I can move the barrel chair behind the driver's seat. Then I adjust the seat back which gives me ample leg room to drive.

Red Sky

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 143502
"Is this a fact or just the way the photos make it look."

The Front Lounge's bathroom is roomy, only exceeded in space by the 27' Rear Bath..
The bath's position, with the large rear window and normally open door, adds to the overall open feeling of the floor plan.

The Rear Lounge, today known as the Twin/King or T/K,  is a wonderful floor plan with its wrap-around rear windows but the bath is much smaller and closed away, with the door left normally closed. Up until the last year or so, the Twin/King had smaller holding tanks than any of the other models, a consideration when boondocking.

Each of the short wheel base LDs floor plans are quite functional and livable. When thinking about any of the models, your sleeping arrangements should be kept in mind.
 If the overhead bunk is suitable, the Front Lounge is a good choice as you can have a fixed bed and leave the Lounge's table set up. If sleeping downstairs is your choice, the T/K lounge turns into either two twin beds or a King. The T/K also works well for two couples or a couple with young kids, since there are two, separate sleeping areas Starting in 2003, short LDs (sometimes known as Baby Dazes) are built on the heavier E450 wide-body chassis, adding 5" in width and several thousand additional pounds of CCC, compared to the older models.

If you want a short LD, IMO, buy a 2003+ model.
 You really need to spend time in all the floor plans before picking one.  We have various needs and wants and the Factory has.7 choices.

http://www.lazydaze.com/flrplans.htm

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 143582
We found the range of feedback offered by members of this group )and LD owners) on this topic quite valuable and well thought out. We are new to the group, prospective buyers of a new LD and are drawn to only two models, the 24' front dinette or the 27' mid bath w/ rear lounge. As a former full-timer and previous owners of a 40' diesel pusher, we are looking only at a couple of manufacturers...and rigs 24' to 27'. Lazy Daze has always been a favorite and the quality of the coaches are wonderful. I do however have a question regarding the ease of access and comfort of the overhead bunk. We would prefer to have a permanent bed made up versus using the couch bed feature, but if the overhead bunk is either uncomfortable, tight or stuffy (I read that there no longer is a vent in the bunk area), we would have to go to the 27' rear lounge. We are still in good health and have limbs that still respond to brain waves, so climbing a ladder is still possible. We recently saw the coaches at the California RV Show, but were unable to test out the overhead bunk, Time restraints prevented us from taking a tour at the factory...but on our next visit. Thought I would ask the most knowledgable and experience group first. Thank you!

Michael

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 143583
"if the overhead bunk is either uncomfortable, tight or stuffy (I read that there no longer is a vent in the bunk area), we would have to go to the 27' rear lounge."

There's still a ceiling vent in the "upstairs bedroom," but it's a standard 14" vent--not the large escape hatch/vent that used to be installed there. Most of us regret that change, but it's not as if you can't get any fresh air up there--and besides, you can also open the windows on either side of the overcab area, so that's three air sources.

There's limited headroom up there--you can't sit up in bed--so if you are truly claustrophobic, then sleeping over the cab probably isn't for you. To be specific, in my 2003 midbath there are 23.5" between the mattress and the ceiling, and I think that's pretty typical of Lazy Dazes built in the past ten years.

As you said, the overcab bed has the advantage of always being made up, yet it doesn't use up daytime living space the way an island bed does. But sleeping up there is very much a matter of personal preference. Some folks like it--I do--while others don't. And as a couple, you need to consider whether frequent bathroom trips in the night by one or both partners will mean scrambling over each other repeatedly.

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 143586
Ahh yes...close nightly bathroom trips could be a nuisance and may put the 27' mid bath in the favored column. Thank you for you input...your websites are well done & offer some joyous reading...safe travels!

Michael & Imkelina

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 143588
"Ahh yes...close nightly bathroom trips could be a nuisance and may put the 27' mid bath in the favored column"

Michael

It's all a compromise. The Mid-bath has the nice three window lounge/bedroom  Great in the daytime but it does require folding the bedding each morning and stowing it in the overhead cabinets. if you want to use it as a lounge.  When traveling long distances, over several days, many will leave the bed set up, and just use the dinette during the day, speeding each day's departure and eliminating setup each evening.

Sleeping single, on the couches, isn't hard to set up . Sleeping as a couple, you are forced to pull the couches together, a difficult job for some..  Winter time is harder due to needing much more bedding.  If you add a memory foam pad, as many do to soften the hard Factory cushions, it too needs folding and stowing. Being somewhat bulky and heavy, it can be too much to handle for some.
I suggest going through this routine in a sample LD. You may discover why a fixed bed is so coveted by many

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 143590
We have a mid-bath model and we like the separate beds in the rear.  They are quite easy to pull out to a desired amount and quite easy to put back in place.  With respect to bedding, we just use sleeping bags and extra blankets if needed, but we have not needed them much.  Making the bed is a snap, just role up the sleeping bag and away you go.  Since I have to get up once and awhile during the night for a BR visit, I don't need to crawl over my wife.

Bob
2011 MB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 143591
I couldn't sleep in the bed over cab with my partner - so we sleep apart which has resulted in a better nights sleep for both of us. We make up one of the couches as a twin size bed with a nice spread it doubles as a couch during the day with no furniture to move. The only item to move is the rear cushion. We use Costco Biogel memory foam on both beds, and they are truly more comfortable than our bed at home.
 We love the rear bath, because of the bigger bath area which serves as a changing room as well and proximity of the couches to the cab while napping on the road.

My 2c worth.

Todd '99 RB and '02 Honda CRV
 (I have been in a few shorter LD and wouldn't consider them. The 27' is perfect - plenty of room (we have spent 90 nights in the LD this year with the 2 dogs) and easy to drive, park, set up etc.)
Todd (and Steve)
'17 Winnebago Minnie Winnie and '13 Honda CRV
(Former '99 RB owners from 2012-2016)