Skip to main content
Topic: New campground App. (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New campground App.
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 142723
great idea, but he need to add the Android.........

Jerry in Mira Loma 2000 30 IB
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 142727
It will only work if you have an iTunes account, and is only for iPad and iPhone (and I assume iPod will also work).

Dale Ellis

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 142729
"It will only work if you have an iTunes account, and is only for iPad and iPhone (and I assume iPod will also work)"
 I haven't tested it on an iPod Touch, but it should work there as well as on iPhone and iPad. And I don't believe you need an iTunes account to look at the product description web page that was linked in earlier messages, although of course you will need an account to purchase the app.

It's a nice job. Yes, it's basically the same data as on Ted's website, but having it in app form has big advantages: it's formatted specifically for a phone screen (although if you run it on an iPad, it takes full advantage of the larger screen), so it's much easier to read than using your iPhone's browser to to go the website. And equally important, unlike the website version, you don't need an internet connection to use the app's "find a campground" features. (There are some advanced features such as mapping that do need internet.)

Altogether, it's a significant improvement in usability over the website. Well done, Ted!

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 142733
This is weird!  If I click on my own link, it doesn't work.  If I copy and paste into the browser, it works.

Dale

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 142734
Now nothing seems to work for me.  IOS 7 releases  tomorrow, and I wonder if that is causing a disruption in iTunes Store, since it will come from there.

Dale

One finger typed on my iPad, which is responsible for all typos ;-)

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 142735
I just downloaded and i quite like this app! The campgrounds website doesn't do this app justice. I looked at The northern CA area and it is nicely detailed with more functionality than the CA State parks app I downloaded a few months ago.

Ray
2003 MB
Formerly 1997 TK

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 142738
No, you don't.  I don't have any Apple products, but I was able to  view the product description online from the link provided in the previous  email.

Are there any plans on making it available for android products?

Linda  Hylton
http://earl-linda.blogspot.com

And I don't believe you need an iTunes account to look at the product  description web page that was linked in earlier messages,
Linda Hylton

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 142744
"IOS 7 releases  tomorrow, and I wonder if that is causing a disruption in iTunes Store, since it will come from there."

I think you've hit on the reason, Dale. The iTunes Store has been extremely busy this morning--presumably because so many owners of iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad devices are upgrading to iOS 7--and it's been intermittently slow, and even occasionally unavailable. I suggest that folks who are having trouble getting Ted's app set it aside for a day or two and then try again.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 142746
"This is weird! If I click on my own link, it doesn't work."

For some reason--probably a Yahoo peculiarity--there's an invisible embedded space in your link. When the link is clicked, it resolves to:

https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/%20MZStore.... etc.

If you delete the "%20" that represents that phantom space, the URL will work correctly.

(Would somebody please ask WWW inventor Tim Berners-Lee why he felt that spaces should be illegal in URLs? We already know that he now admits there was no reason for the two slashes at the beginning. ;-)

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 142748
I'd love to have one, but I do not the expertise to develop it. See my earlier note to Jerry about why.

Ted H.

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 142750
Ted

Great app, I just contributed to your retirement fund.
Seeing the camp locations on Google maps is a wonderful, time saving feature.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 142751
Great job, Ted. I use your app on my laptop and find it very useful. It will be wonderful to have it on my iphone as well.

Thanks for all your hard work

Stephany Smith
2007 MB
2007 MB

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 142764
Thanks, Ray. The data is the result of 5 years of research, while the app was developed by Bill Modesitt.

A note to all: if you find errors

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 142766
Ted I also grabbed the app for my iPhone and would also love to see it for Android. I ditched my iPad for an android tablet because the iPad tablets are missing gps unless you have the models with 3G. Most all the android tablets have gps even at the lower cost. So I hope an android developer steps up and you can work a deal. The Android market share is as high as Apple anymore or so I hear.

Garry Sent from Garry's iPhone

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 142767
I agree, Jerry, but I'm just a poor old guy that loves to research campgrounds. I partnered with Bill Modesitt of Modesitt Software on the iOS app and he's the brains behind the app.
 I do need an Android version, but from several sources I've learned that Android apps are a lot more complicated that iOS apps, due to all the various manufacturers and sizes of Android devices, and the fact that Android users don't seem to upgrade to the newest OS as quickly as Apple folks do. Andy confirmed this for me, as did an Android developer.
 But if you, or any else wants to have a hand at it, I'll certainly partner with you in terms of the data.

I think Bill did a great job with the app.

Ted H.
www.wxtoad.com