Skip to main content
Topic: Downloading photos (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Downloading photos
Yahoo Message Number: 142656
I hope this is not repetitious, but I can't find the answer searching the messages, and Yahoo's Help tells me to do what doesn't work, followed by the "helpful" remark "No further help options available".
 How do I download a photo from the Photo section? Right clicking doesn't offer a "Save picture as..." option like Yahoo says it should. I first encountered the problem today on a group I moderate, which was just switched to the new group format. I did eventually discover how to change the picture of the bicycle rider (helpfully supplied by Yahoo instead our picture of a sailplane) back to a picture we want to use.

Eric Greenwell
2005 Jayco 24SS

Re: Downloading photos
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 142657
You are right.  Yahoo has not left any obvious way to capture the images in the photo area.
There is always screen capture ;>}

Using Windows 7 and  Firefox 23.0.1 I found a VERY roundabout way of doing this.
Maybe a different browser would have a easier mechanism.

1 - go into the photo section 2 - open an album 3 - click on an image to select it 4 - click on that image again to start the slide show 5 - pause the slide show on the desired image 6 - right click and select "View Page Info" 7 - select the media menu on the info page 8 - scroll down the list of URLs to find the image desired 9 - use the "Save As" button to download the image

HTH, Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 142658
Short of digging through the page's source code to find the image's URL as Art suggested, screen capture is the only method I've found that works on my Mac. Of course, you don't have to capture the whole screen (Shift-Command-3). If you press Shift-command-4, you get a crosshair cursor that lets you select just the area you want to capture.

I suspect Yahoo made this change with an eye to copyright issues--after all, images uploaded by group members are not public-domain--but for the kind of informal use that prevails here, it's a nuisance.

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 142659
It's particularly annoying to me, since the image I want to download from my group is the one used on the home page, which Yahoo "disappeared" when they switched it to the new format!
 I'll inform our members a screen capture utility is the easiest choice right now.

Eric
  wrote, On 9/15/2013 11:06 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 142662
A very useful tip. I've only used the 3. Thanks, Andy.

Chris H
Formerly: 2002 30' IB