Skip to main content
Topic: Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) (Read 3841 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)
Reply #100
FWIW, I have the PressurePro system.  I bought it before I took delivery of my '08, and have had the sensors, with non-replaceable batteries, in place since then.  Around year 2, I had a sensor go bad.  It was replaced, no cost, under warranty.  At 7 years, in very cold weather, I had a sensor (1 of 10) that would be slow to register, and would occasionally lose its connection to the monitor.  So, with 7 years on the sensors and an expected life of 5 years, I replaced all the sensors.  I am at 9 years on the system, with no other issues.  As Larry said about his system, programming the sensors is annoying, but other than needing to press the buttons just right, is not onerous, particularly since I have only needed to do it a few times in 9 years.

I should note that I set my tire pressure with a digital pressure gauge.  That gauge agrees with the two analog gauges on my compressor, e.g., I can set them at 80 psi, let the compressor charge the tire, then check the tire and I read 80 psi.  However, the reading reported by the sensors can vary by several pounds.  That really doesn't matter, because the sensors are intended to measure and report a CHANGE in tire pressure.  They do a good job of that, and as the programming is individual sensor rather than group programming, if a number reading is off by a few pounds, that is of no consequence.  A loss of pressure on one sensor will be reported as quickly as a loss of pressure on another, and is a function of percentage pressure change.  There is an old expression - "Man with one watch knows the time.  Man with two watches never sure."  As the sensors are highly reliable in detecting and reporting pressure changes, but not as much in reporting actual pressure, I do not use them to set my tire pressure.  I make the tire pressure right and use the tire pressure to set the sensor.

Ken F in UT
'08 MB

Reply #101
As the sensors are highly reliable in detecting and reporting pressure changes, but not as much in reporting actual pressure, I do not use them to set my tire pressure.  I make the tire pressure right and use the tire pressure to set the sensor.

This information is one of those points that new or newer RVers might miss in their RV Education 101.  These are little nuggets of information born from experience and they're of considerable value to folks like Margee and I.   Just this morning we were fussing with our tire gauge and the TPMS readings trying to reconcile them ... we failed.    So thank you Ken for this particular nugget.

Reply #102
Having read and re-read all of the reviews for a TPMS, we are now ready to purchase and install one.  The TireTraker seems the most useful for folks with limited ability to twist, turn and crawl under things.

If there are any red flags that I missed on this brand, can someone please wave the banner in my face?

Virtual hugs,

Judie

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Reply #103
Judie, I moved your mini-thread to the lengthy and informative Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) thread, thus trying to keep all these comments together. It resides in the Lazy Daze Renovations & Improvements forum. I also decided to pin this thread so it will always show up at the beginning of the LDR&I forum. It's a popular topic and there are very good reviews of various TPMSystems in this thread.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #104
"Judie, I moved your mini-thread to the lengthy and informative Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) thread, "

Thank you, Chris.  I searched around for the correct place, but apparently missed the obvious.  Good idea to pin it.

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
   Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:  Eggs – Not Just for Breakfast

Reply #105
First off a big thank you to those who do the heavy lifting on the LDO forum and make it possible for newbies like me to read and learn from those willing to share their expertise and experience.

I think it had a lot to do with my positive experience using a few of the products and services recommended by others on this site during this recent string of unplanned LD related events over the past couple of weeks.

It started with installing the 2nd hand TST 507 TPMS that I found didn’t work due to a broken antennae solder connection.

That led to an email to TST support who promptly replied I could make a warranty claim since it was under 3yrs old or upgrade to the latest color version for $99.

Mike Benson, mbenson@tsttruck.com, said they are offering the new color monitor to existing customers at a “discount” and others if they call and ask.

Ordered a new TST 507 cap set that comes with color monitor, 4 sensors, and repeater for $318 since I wanted 4 more sensors for the toad.  Plus I sent in the old one for the warranty claim and both arrived within a week.

Went to install the TPMS again before our trip and developed a valve stem leak on the outer curbside dually when testing out the new TPMS.

Dropped off the LD at Les Schwab in Elk Grove who replaced the valve stem for free but also put on a stem that was too short and not centered on the hole since they said that was all they had.

Left for the trip with the TPMS gadgets in the box and minus one wheel cover since it touched the edge of the new valve stem when installed.

Returned to S&B from trip and checked the tire pressure the next day and discovered the valve stem on the inner curb side dually was broken off at the base – WTH?

Called Progressive Insurance partnered with USAA on the chance it was covered under roadside assistance and it was.  The service tech showed up at the S&B within 30min of calling and put on the spare.

Called Six Robbless and ordered the DL1EC brass Duallyvalve kit for less than anywhere else I could find – you have to call since they do not list the valve stems on their site.  Received the tracking number via email within a couple of hours.

So all in all we got a ton of good info out of this event and trip.  Found out TST now has a color monitor, good support and warranty policy, Les Schwab has good customer service but should probably not be the ones to install the new valves without more direction, Progressive insurance partnered with USAA has excellent roadside assistance – at least in Sacramento area, Six Robblees has excellent customer service and prices, and the LD can go at least 5hrs and 250mi on half a dually though not recommended.

Sometimes things go your way – whew!

Rich Meek

2006 MB

Reply #106
Larry (or Doran TPMS owners),
I have been looking over the Doran website and downloaded the user manual.  I see that the Doran system has a high temperature alert.   I see that the receiver display shows tire pressure data.  However, I could not find much about the temperature data aspects of the Doran display.  Can you scroll through each tire to confirm each tire's temperature?
2002 M-23 Twin King & 2016 Subaru Forester tow car

Reply #107
Larry (or Doran TPMS owners),
I have been looking over the Doran website and downloaded the user manual.  I see that the Doran system has a high temperature alert.   I see that the receiver display shows tire pressure data.  However, I could not find much about the temperature data aspects of the Doran display.  Can you scroll through each tire to confirm each tire's temperature?

We started with the Doran system in 2008 and we full time. I don't know about the temp question but be aware that the batteries in the sensors are not user replaceable. None of ours lasted the 5 years claimed but perhaps the amount of travel ended their life prematurely. Replacements were $30 a piece. A couple of sensors failed under warranty. Unless things have changed the monitor has to be hard wired or plugged in

We have had the Eeze system for 4 years now and had one sensor failure and batteries are cheap. I'm not trying to sell you an Eeze system but I would highly recommend a battery operated monitor and sensor with user replaceable batteries.

Jim

Reply #108
  Can you scroll through each tire to confirm each tire's temperature?
Newer models may have this feature but ours doesn't.
If a tire over heats or the brake sticks, the heat build up will also increase the air pressure, leading to a over-pressure alarm.
A temperature readout would be more convenient but not enough of a benefit to buy another unit.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #109
Jim,
On their website, Doran states that non-replaceable batteries was a deliberate design decision to make the sensors more robust against water intrusion.  I can see the merit in that.  It seems like they market more towards over the road commercial vehicles.   Maybe that is part of the reason? 

Looks like the choice of replaceable batteries would be one of the points to consider.  I guess for an occasional use vehicle where the sensors are removed to protect battery life, it might not be an issue.  However, in your case as a fulltimer, battery life becomes a more important issue.  Thanks for the useful information.

Best of luck with your EZEE system.

Larry,
Understood, thanks for the info.  I appreciate that Doran is producing their circuit boards and do at least final assembly and testing from their Cincinnati, Ohio, US manufacturing facility.   Seems like a solid company with well engineered products. 

Doran handles individual tire configurations, tire pressure display and warning parameters very well.  Ease of monitoring individual tire temperature is on my wish list, so still shopping around...

2002 M-23 Twin King & 2016 Subaru Forester tow car

Reply #110
Does anyone ever buy/replace lazy daze steels wheels and the liner with Alcoa aluminum wheels are another brand of aluminum wheels and would this solve one of the problems needing valve extensions.? Might be a lot easier to check pressure?  Also it would also be better ride maybe? Sorry if this has been discussed earlier. I did hate the wheel  stimulators on my old bounder.
Soon my wife and I retire and I order a TK.

Reply #111
Does anyone ever buy/replace lazy daze steels wheels and the liner with Alcoa aluminum wheels are another brand of aluminum wheels and would this solve one of the problems needing valve extensions.? Might be a lot easier to check pressure?  Also it would also be better ride maybe? Sorry if this has been discussed earlier.
Aluminum wheels are a cosmetic things, with little positive effect on ride. They do not eliminate the need for extended stems.
They do need to be maintained to prevent the aluminum from corroding to the inner steels wheels, in the rears.
In the rear, only the outside wheels are replaced with aluminum.
Wheel covers only need to be removed when rotating the tires or replacing them.

Larry

Larry

Reply #112
Aftermarket TPMS temperature readings can be misleading. Unlike oem sensors positioned on the inside part of the valve, external sensors respond to heating by environmental conditions, and so do not give an accurate indication of tire condition. They may cause unnecessary concern and frequent false alarms where in fact there is no problem at all. Our TPMS has temp readings, but no way to disable the reading, unfortunately.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #113
Regarding Corky's question about Alcoa wheels, yes, we have those on our LD, as do others. What I say here may not apply to current Alcoas, which I know nothing about. Ours are over 14 years old.

There might be some ride improvement due to more "accurate" wheels but I can't remember any when we made the switch.

Larry is correct, when making this conversion it involves four, not six, aluminum wheels. The inner duals remain steel. Also the front Alcoas are different from the rears. This greatly complicates tire rotation. Can't swap the front and rear tires, or the inner duals to some other position, without dismounting and remounting the tires. But in my experience there is little need to rotate LD tires as mine have always worn very evenly. And they don't seem to need rebalancing much either. With my recently acquired new Michelins I do, however, plan to rotate the rears side-to-side every so often, since the right rears run in a higher heat environment due to the exhaust.

Larry is also correct that you must be careful not to allow corrosion between the two dissimilar metals on the rears to essentially weld them together. I do this by carefully applying a light coating of anti-seize to the mating surfaces, being very careful not to get any on the wheel studs.

Alcoas also require a bit of extra maintenance to keep them looking good, though that may have changed with the newer wheels.

So why bother with Alcoas? Well, I've always hated hub caps and wheel covers. Just something to come loose and cause trouble, with no compensating practical benefit. But my real motivation was simplified pressure checking and airing. I don't like valve extenders for the same reason I don't like wheel covers. With my Alcoas I use metal air-through valve caps on the Alcoa-supplied straight rigid metal valve stems with no extensions. With the proper tire pressure gauge and air chuck on my CO2 inflation system pressure checking and airing is very strait forward.

This is important to me because I've also decided against any sort of TPMS system. I check and adjust tire pressure on the LD and our toad the morning of any day we're moving. That surfaces any significant slow leaks that may have developed since our last move and assures that tire pressures are correct and adjusted for current conditions of altitude and temperature. My daily checks are usually by tire pressure gauge when conditions are the same as on our previous travel day, but I use our airing system if altitude or temps have changed significantly because that will likely mean a need for some pressure adjustment. I also try to check the tires once a day following some stop for fuel or lunch with a digital infrared temperature gauge for any significant variation between tires. Sort of the modern equivalent of tire thumping.

Since this is a TPMS thread I'll go on a bit. I'm a TPMS skeptic. I think original equipment TPMS is great for the average American driver who never checks tire pressure, providing a warning that such neglect has gone too far, but that's not me with my LD.

I don't think TPMS provides much protection from tread separations or blowouts. You won't get much indication until it's happened. And most slow leaks in modern tires are not catastrophic events. Well maintained modern tires if subject to the typical puncture (a nail or screw) will leak slowly, something I'll notice on my pressure checks. But my real beef with TPMS is the distraction it creates, something my wife will tell you I don't need more of. In my case, monitoring ten tires for pressure and temperature, with all the variations in readings that people have reported on here and the potential false alarms due to battery and transmission problems, etc. It just seems too much to me.

So for me the simplicity and reliability of pressure checking and airing the Alcoas is paramount. No brass extensions, no rubber hoses, no wheel liners potentially interfering with any of that. And simple easy access for my gauge and tire chuck. Anything can happen but it's been 15 years with no tire problems on either the LD or our toad.

Finally, FWIW, for airing I use a Powertank system specifically designed for RVs. Pricey but I love it.

Power Tank - - Powertank.com

I know I'm an exception in all this. This is just my system. You should figure out yours. And TPMS remains a possibility in the future as systems become more refined.
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Reply #114
Terry,

Where a TPMS is concerned, opinions will vary. That’s a given. Where tire pressure is concerned, like you as with many RV owners, I check my air pressure before travel day whether it’s before a travel adventure or a return trip home or points inbetween.

My Tire Minder TM66 does sound off occasionally to alert me of a rise in air pressure. A quick glance at the monitor satisfies my curiosity and I continue on my way without a second thought.

Without my TPMS actively engaged while heading to Zion a couple of weeks ago, I would have been up that creek so many people have found themselves in. Deep creek without a paddle. I can assure you that my tire did experience a “slow leak” but fast enough that I could see the pressure dropping two pounds every minute or so as I pulled off the freeway.

That same slow leak, if left undetected, would have been far worse than the inconvience  of waiting for Coach-Net to bail me out of that quickly rising creek I had found myself in. Flats don’t only happen in the parking lot or out in front of the house.

Many who own RVs have done as you do and have traveled for years without a flat tire. And yes some tire delaminations may not be detected by a TPMS but a blowout is a different story all-together. I’ve read horror stories of the poor coach driver who had no idea that their Toad had experienced a total tire failure until they had pulled off the road.

I won’t go so far as to say that it is a disservice to RV owners to naysay the importance of a TPMS, but I do feel that a reliable TPMS should be investigated and all the options be weighed before you decide not to have one installed. All-In-All they are one more add-on that can help to  insure safe travel. They certainly are not a substitute for visually checking your tires condition prior to travel but rather another component to tire safety.

Now onto another aspect of TPMS accuracy. My Tire Minder system states that each Sensor when initially set up MUST be kept with its initiated tire position. So, for example, the front left sensor must remain on the front left tire. When rotating tires, it is important to remove and reinstall each sensor in its original tire position OR reprogram your monitor to reflect the new position of the sensors if they move to another location on the rig.

Honestly, I really feel better with my TPMS (and my solid long tire valve stems) installed and after what happened on our last trip my DW feels the same.

As always YMMV and that’s ok. Safe travels and enjoy the ride.

Kent    
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #115
Kent,

It would be helpful to know the cause of your slow leak and any potentially relevant factors surrounding it.

My problem with most of the stories of tire disasters is that we rarely get accurate details first hand so as to be able to learn whatever lessons are appropriate. What brand and model of tire? How old were the tires? What was their condition? When was pressure last checked? How did the pressure that was set relate to axle loading? What were the environmental conditions and had they changed since pressure was checked? How fast was the tire driven normally and at the time of the failure?

And when the details are unfavorable do we really hear them? After a problem am I going to tell you that I never bother to check pressure or that my coach is over weight or I was driving 80mph on a hot day? Many of my trips to the dump station demonstrate to me that many RVers have little idea about what they're doing. Should I rely on their stories?

Aviation is the best model for proper forensic analysis of failure incidents. It can take months, or even years, of careful investigation by highly experienced and skeptical professionals before we learn that the cause was nothing like what was first reported. We see virtually nothing like that in the RV world. We just get stories.

Aviation is also the background of my skepticism about warning systems. I flew large jet transports in the USAF for several years. Monitoring and warning systems galore. That often proved erroneous when reporting a problem. Some were acted upon without hesitation (engine fire warning) but most led to lots of backup checks before taking action, to determine if the problem was real or not. Usually not a big deal but could be a problem at a critical moment when attention should have been elsewhere. Simulator training actually addresses this by piling on failures during critical phases of flight, so that pilots learn to manage the aircraft first and the failure incident second. Another thing we don't get in the RV world.

I'm glad your TPMS saved you some trouble, and perhaps avoided something worse. And I'm not saying others shouldn't use TPMS. I'm just explaining what I do. I'll fly with a pilot who doesn't have a fancy cockpit, but not with one who doesn't use and follow his checklists every time or seems careless about maintaining his airplane.

And I might eventually add TPMS. Especially since I can no longer get Michelin tires in the size required for my toad and so have Firestones on there. :-[

Terry
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Reply #116
Terry,

Your experience as a professional pilot adds a lot to your decision for not currently adding a reliable TPMS.

As I said, a TPMS is secondary to common sense tire Maintenance and RV driving skills. A novice may add gasoline and go and treat the RV like a common mode of transportation.

Not many daily commuters check their tire pressure and fluid levels before departure every morning. A savvy RV owner, on the other hand, will have a checklist of procedures that must be adhered to before, during and after travel. My checklist is extensive and is followed rigorously. Hopefully, I’m not the only one, but as you’ve said the junk yards and road sides indicate many RV owners are rather clueless or just don’t care.

My situation was most likely a bit out of the ordinary. I had my 2015 26’ RB weighed shortly after bringing it home from the Mothership late October 2015.

The Michelin’s are OEM with just about 13,000 miles on them. Fronts are set to 60 psi and rears are set to 70 psi. The coach is under weight about a thousand pounds on each axel. Not much has changed since I had RV Weigh give me their seal of approval. Although, I’m due for another weigh in, I’ve worked hard to maintain a balanced weight from side to side.

The slow leak occurred at approximately 10:45 am while heading through Las Vegas. I had adjusted my tire pressure the night prior to departure. At 4:00 am the morning of departure I ran my TPMS scan minutes before hitting the road. Sounds like a police report, huh?

Traffic was as anticipated on the 15 through Vegas-light until approaching a slow down for road construction at the end of town. I travel at 60 mph as a rule and only exceed that for brief periods and even then never break 65 mph.

Weather was fair and the morning air cool at the time I noticed the TPMS slow leak warning. As I slowly made my way off the 15 and onto surface streets the TPMS kept track of my rear right outside tire and indicated it was loosing approximately 2 pounds every couple of minutes. From the initial warning to the parked position behind a Dollar Store less than ten minutes had elapsed. After I called Coach-Net, I manually checked the tires pressure and found it down to 12 pounds.

I used my Viair compressor and brought the tire back up to 70 pounds just before the tire repairman arrived to resolve my issue.

I too am glad my TPMS was able to alert me to the air lose. Robert, the tire tech showed me the small puncture hole in the inside of the tire (I had opted to have the tire repaired on the spot and save my spare for another incident 🧐).

The puncture occurred between the treads of the tire and was possibly caused by a nail attatched to a board that had quickly run away from the scene of the crime after penetrating the tire. Sneaky little rat. Wish I had gotten its license number. Hope it left the rest of the commuters “intact” but I doubt it. Little scalawag.

Anyway, that’s the best of the details. The rest of our trip to Zion was filled with far more excitement. Like the wonderful bike rides and the float we took down the Virgin River. Much better memories and why I keep our rig in tip top shape in the first place.

Ever ready to travel. Hope you do the same.

Kent 

2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #117

The slow leak occurred at approximately 10:45 am while heading through Las Vegas. I had adjusted my tire pressure the night prior to departure. At 4:00 am the morning of departure I ran my TPMS scan minutes before hitting the road. Sounds like a police report, huh?

Weather was fair and the morning air cool at the time I noticed the TPMS slow leak warning. As I slowly made my way off the 15 and onto surface streets the TPMS kept track of my rear right outside tire and indicated it was loosing approximately 2 pounds every couple of minutes. From the initial warning to the parked position behind a Dollar Store less than ten minutes had elapsed. After I called Coach-Net, I manually checked the tires pressure and found it down to 12 pounds.

A slow leak can lead to disaster that cannot be detected until everything hits the fan.
A leaking rear tire can overload its mate, causing it to blow out, leading to the destruction of both tires, plus whatever damage the blow out causes.
A rear tire blow out can cause thousands of dollars of damage to the coach.
A leaking tire on a toad can cause even more damage, up to the destruction of the toad, it's happened to members of this forum.

While a very observant driver may notice something unusual, a TPMS is the only assured way to detect such problems.
I consider a TPMS and a rear-view camera to be essential, especially when towing.

Larry
Larry

Reply #118
Larry is correct, when making this conversion it involves four, not six, aluminum wheels. The inner duals remain steel. Also the front Alcoas are different from the rears. This greatly complicates tire rotation. Can't swap the front and rear tires, or the inner duals to some other position, without dismounting and remounting the tires. But in my experience there is little need to rotate LD tires as mine have always worn very evenly. And they don't seem to need rebalancing much either.

You can buy durabrite versions that are polished on both sides, so that you can rotate front to back from my (theoretical) understanding.  The durabrite will also hopeful reduce the maintenance.  Alcoa 160280DB.

Aluminum wheels are a cosmetic things, with little positive effect on ride. They do not eliminate the need for extended stems.
They do need to be maintained to prevent the aluminum from corroding to the inner steels wheels, in the rears.
In the rear, only the outside wheels are replaced with aluminum.
Wheel covers only need to be removed when rotating the tires or replacing them.

It is my understanding that with the 8 hole design of the alcoa wheels, the inner stems will be far more accessible, and can be filled with a standard extended 2 way chuck.  If the inner wheels were not steel, wouldn't the aluminum still need to be maintained to prevent the bond between the aluminum wheel and the steel hub?  For example, the front wheels could have this problem, just like on any other car with alloy wheels.  Once again, my knowledge is only from reading.  I have no hands on experience.

I am considering Valor Internal TPMS because they will be mounted inside the tire on the wheel, have temp sensors, will not inhibit filling, can handle multiple trailer scenarios, and have a 5-7 year lifetime, which will equal that of the tires.  Their drawback is no replaceable batteries and a ~$50 unit cost.

Wade
2008 27' MB

Reply #119
Usual disclaimer of due diligence.

Would you mind giving advice based on your experience please? Direct/Indirect, model, reception issues...
LD 22', 1989 Custom Build. Chassis 1990 Chevy Van G30, 5.7l.

Reply #120
Usual disclaimer of due diligence.

Would you mind giving advice based on your experience please? Direct/Indirect, model, reception issues...

The Lazy Daze Companion is your friend. The Lazy Daze Companion: Tire Pressure Management Systems (TPMS)

Chris

Reply #122
There have many useful posts regarding TPMS.  Unfortunately, most of them are several years old.   There have been many technical changes and upgrades in recent years.  Before I invest in a system I am wondering if any members have current info and opinions and which one to buy, and why.   As always, thanks for the help and advice.   Gale
G N Wilson
2008 Mid-Bath

Reply #123
There have many useful posts regarding TPMS.  Unfortunately, most of them are several years old.  There have been many technical changes and upgrades in recent years.  Before I invest in a system I am wondering if any members have current info and opinions and which one to buy, and why.  As always, thanks for the help and advice.  Gale
New info will be helpful. Since this is a long thread with useful historic data, I've merged your question with the ongoing thread, Galelynn.

Chris

Reply #124
I scrolled thru the whole list to update my entries to discover my entries are in threads other than this one.
The short story:  I bought the TST 507 with a black and white monitory, 10 flow thru sensors, and a repeater for the rear of the LD in 2014 before taking delivery.  I never needed the repeater.  I have had one catastrophic tire failure which the TPMS noted,  and one non-pressure loss tread separation.  I have replaced batteries a few times.  I have had 4 sensor failures: two when taking the towd thru a car wash (one Dee Ten Tee error),  one on the towd scraping a curb and one broken by an installer when putting on a new tire.  I did upgrade to the color monitor a few years ago.  This year at Quartzite I needed to replace the one the installer broke,  and purchased 4 new non-flowthru  sensors for the towd.  The flow thru has a higher profile and represented the reason for 3 failures.   

They system has worked very well, the user not as well....
YMMV
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE