Skip to main content
Topic: Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) (Read 3840 times) previous topic - next topic
Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)
Yahoo Message Number: 138853

I just installed a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) the with a lot of help from the folks here.  After reading the threads here and on other forums I chose the Doran 360rv.  For now I am using the dash plug.  I will unplug it when the RV is stored for a long time but for now I will let it run a few days.  The solar should keep up with the drain on the batteries.
I did have some trouble installing the system.  The problem was not with the product it was the metal valve extenders on the RV for the outside rear wheels.  They were not long enough.  I've installed the Tireman valve stems that I purchased last September (I had one extender leak  so I purchased the Tireman stems for the next wheel/tire issue).  Doran recommends using a produce like the Tireman or Borg valve but does not mention either product by name.
I like the green light.  I like the instant on (when hard wired or plugged in).  It will warn of low  pressure but only as it cycles through the wheels.  So they state that it is not a devise that will warn about an emanate blowout.  There is one warning for a slow leak (6% pressure loss as I recall) and different warning for a fast leak (I think 12% loss).  It will also alarm at start if your tires are below the pressure that it expects.  It not give you a green light if you program 6 wheels and then use only four transmitters because two were left off when they could not get past the hubcap.
Until I could get the RV to the tire shop I drove with the four transmitters on a short trip and eventually figured out that I needed to delete the two others to get the green light. Most people would not have to tinker with the system as much as I have but I got to know the Doran well by doing so.

I am very happy with the product.
John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144663
Just getting ready to buy the Tire Traker pressure and temperature monitoring system for my 2004 MB and Toad. The sales person asked what kind of rig I had. When I told him Lazy Daze, he said I need to buy a booster as the radio waves won't go through the aluminum body.  Does anyone else use the Tire Traker brand ( where you can replace your own batteries) and do you need the wireless booster?
Cindy Beck
2004 MB Blue/White, Honda CRV
Corona, CA

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144664
After reading that Andy was going with the Pressure Pro, my decision was made.  Andy researches to the nth and he has not led me wrong yet!

Bob in FL  SE 5

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:38 PM, "cindybeck123@..."  wrote:

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 144667
"Does anyone else use the Tire Traker brand ( where you can replace your own batteries) and do you need the wireless booster?

I use a Doran 360RV and it does not need a booster. I can pick up the toad's tires pressure when it is parked a 100' away.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 144676
I have a Tire Traker for my 23.5TK. Seems to be working okay without a booster. I had front tire reading issues but I think that was due to weak batteries because the booster would not be needed up there so close to the monitor. When I tow I will add a booster. My main issue is that the menu navigation is a bit tricky.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 144678
I have a Tire Trakker, 10 sensors and a remote "booster."  I used it with my 2005 MB and Jeep Cherokee for nearly 4  years.  The booster unit was not required and has never been out of the box and the system worked fine, when it worked at all.  I bought my Tire Trakker because of the replaceable sensor batteries and because Terry Tanner had one and it was doing well.  However, my experience with Tire Trakker has not been the same as Terry's:
 >> The first receiver lasted about 1 year before it failed.  It was replaced under warranty.
 >> The second receiver lasted about 15 months.  It too was replaced under warranty.  While getting this unit replaced, the Tire Trakker people told me that the receiver should not be left connected to the 12-volt RV power unless it was turned on and running.  Also "There is a note in the manual about this."  (Not in my original manual or the new manual that came with the replacement receiver.)
 >>  I changed the batteries in the sensors every year, but the sensors were often intermittent.  I felt that they were very sensitive to the physical nature of the valve stem to which they were attached.
 >> I felt that the "error detection" logic in the software left a lot to be desired.  I experienced many cases of "false error indication."  When I read Tire Trakker's criteria for the error I could see why I got the error indication, even though there was no problem.
 At present my system is sitting on a shelf in my office.  The receiver is sick again and 4 of my 10 sensors have completely stopped working.  Over the years the unit did catch a couple of situations that could have developed into serious problems.  However, I feel that it was not a good investment.
 While my experience with Tire Trakker has not been good, I have talked with other people that have had good results with it (or with one of the 3 identical systems that are sold under other brand names.)  Obviously YMMV.
 I now have a different motorhome and have started to look for a new TPMS.  Glad to hear that Andy has researched the subject and selected a system.

Doug

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 144685
We have the Pressure Pro TPMS.  We got it in 2007 and it's still going strong.  We've had to replace a couple of the sending units to date, but, otherwise, it does a great job.
 The drawback is that it does not have replaceable batteries...you must order new ones (at a lesser cost) when the batteries go bad.  However, after reading about the TPMS with the replaceable batteries, I'm thinking we're better off with the system we have!
Linda Hylton

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 144687
Good point, Bob.  Does your Pressure Pro system need a wireless booster so the toad's signals reach the monitor?
Cindy Beck
Corona, CA

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 144688
Another endorsement for Pressure  Pro.  Ours has worked well for nearly six years.  It's a 10 wheel system  for our MB and Jeep Wrangler.  We finally replaced the sensors before  our current trip because one sensor was no longer reporting.  No  repeater needed for our setup.  I wouldn't mind user replaceable   batteries, but I'll take reliability over that.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 144689
Larry, thanks for your reply. I hadn't heard of the Doran, but after your post I looked on Amazon and saw it there. Is that system something that I could easily install myself - just screw on the tire sensors and program the monitor?

Cindy in Q for now.
Cindy Beck
Corona, CA

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 144690
"I hadn't heard of the Doran,  but after your post I looked on Amazon and saw it there. Is that system  something that I could easily install myself - just screw on the tire  sensors and program the monitor?"

Cindy
 PressurePro, TireTraker and Doran TPMSs are not difficult to install.
The biggest challenge is mounting the read-out controller on the dash. They all plug into a lighter outlet or can be hardwired so they come on with the ignition. The sensors just screw onto the valve stems.
The most complicated part is programing of the unit.
Each sensor needs its location and unique identifying number programed into the base controller. Then the set pressures for each tire are programed. The programming, for me, was the more difficult part, requiring a bit of time to figure out to move through the setup. One feature I like is the 'drop and hook", which allow the toad sensors to be ignore when the toad is disconnected, preventing false alarm.
To prevent premature dead batteries, I pull the sensors off the toad, when at home. If the LD is going to be parked for more than two weeks, I remove its sensors too. The Doran sensors shut off when removed.
Don't know if other brands do the same.
 TPMS monitors are expensive and so are our LDs. One rear tire blowout can do thousands of dollars of damage, The cost of our TPMS would not even cover the insurance deductible on the repairs.

Larry
Larry

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 144695
Hi, Cindy, Bob, Andy, Gini, and other interested parties,

I'm at Quartzsite. I elected to go with the Tire Traker system. I liked it for several reasons: user changeable batteries, small monitor (dashboard real estate is getting scarce), user manual is easy to read and understand, light weight sensors, competitive price, sensors available at Camping World if necessary (Tire Traker and Tire Minder are the same system, just a different private label).

Although I don't understand the hardware(circuit boards)/firmware differences between the competing systems, they all seem to be pretty much the same technology, i.e. reading and displaying remote information wirelessly. The differences seem to be pretty minor, despite what the reps say, and it's mostly which features appeal to you. Every system will have its pros and cons.

In any case, I will be the ongoing test case for Tire Traker. Terry Tanner installed the Tire Traker system awhile ago per one of his files, but all he did was describe the installation. He hasn't reported how he's liked it after using it for awhile.

If I have any difficulties, I'll keep the group posted.

Kathy Lautz
1999 MB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 144704
Kathy, did you go with the additional booster also? The Tire Traker guy said that due to the aluminum skin of the LD, a booster needs to be hard wired into the 12 volt system.  Also, I am so happy to see your reply here, as the last entry on your blog was scary. It sounds as if all of the repairs have been made?
Cindy Beck
Corona, CA

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 144707
Yes I did. In my current frame of mind, I'm reinforcing corners, not cutting them. Also, I'll wire the booster cord to a 12v plug and use the extra 12v receptacle in the cabinet to the left of my TV in my mid bath. I don't use the TV so I keep a power converter up there too, for charging small electronics.
We'll all just have to keep a running log of TPMS issues as they occur, to see if any definitive pattern shows up. I'd also like to hear about any anyone's system alerts if/as they happen.
1999 MB

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 144715
Also, I'll wire the booster cord to a 12v plug and use the  extra 12v receptacle in the cabinet to the left of my TV in my mid bath. I don't use the TV so I keep a power converter up there too, for charging small electronics.

Kathy, that is the stumbling block for me-wiring the booster cord to a 12 volt plug.  Does the 12 volt plug come apart so you can do th wiring?  I just can't visualize how to connect the wires to the 12 volt plug. Or did you find someone to show you how?

Also, will the booster use 12 volt power, even when you are camped for a period of time, or do you need to remember to unplug it.

Obviously, I know nothing about electronics, but I do want to be safe.

Cindy
Cindy Beck
Corona, CA

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 144716
"Also, I'll wire the  booster cord to a 12v plug and use the  extra 12v receptacle in the  cabinet to the left of my TV in my mid bath. I don't use the TV so I  keep a power converter up there too, for charging small electronics"

Cindy
 Just about all TPMS systems have decent range. I would hold off on buying the booster until you see a need.
A booster does need to be plugged in, when is use and should be unplugged to prevent a power drain when parked..

Larry
Larry

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 144718
Beats me, but I can ask and figure it out. It can't be too difficult. Here's a video, and there's lots of information to be had from a quick Google search. But I always get someone to check my work.

Kathy L.
1999 MB

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 144719
Thanks, Kathy, exactly what I was looking for, if I need to go that route.

Cindy
Cindy Beck
Corona, CA

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 144720
Thanks, Larry. I appreciate your advice. Hopefully by the time we see you in Morro Bay, this will all be ironed out.

Cindy
Cindy Beck
Corona, CA

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 156577
I have a 2014 TK.  I am installing TireMinder TM66 TPMS.  I found I had to remove my value extensions.  No a real problem in my estimation.  I'd rather have a direct connection to the tire values.  I used a Demal to enlarge the holes on the rear tire hub cap.

I have two questions for the group.

1. I'm pondering going without the rear hub caps.  Yes its not as 'pretty' but it become more easy to check air pressure and fill rear tires.  Anyone else doing this.

2. For those that have installed this system where did your install the booster.

Thank you all for your help -- both past and future.  I'm a member of many newsgroups this is one of the best well run.

glen google.com/+grhafford

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 156580
I have often thought about removing the hubcaps.  I kind of like painted wheels, so every time I polish the hubcaps, get the annual Virginia safety inspection, I have the caps off.  I wish the factory wheels were bright silver.  And yes I have thought about painting them myself but I am very bad with a can of spray paint.  If I were to do this I would paint the wheels silver, hub black and would like a set of chrome acorn lug-nuts to finish the job off.
The disk brakes through off a bunch of brake dust so putting some kind of synthetic wheel polish (not wax) would be a good idea.  Wax gets warm and soft on the road and then just absorbs the brake dust.
John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 156605
"In the past 8 years we have used two different TPMS systems and neither required removal of the valve extensions. Why did you have to take them off?"

------ It wasn't clear to me whether the OP meant "valve extenders/extensions", i.e., the *rubber hoses encased in braided stainless steel mesh* that are attached to the tire valve and affixed to the center of the wheel cover, or whether he was referring to the "configured valves", i.e., the long and U-shaped brass or steel valves that replace the OEM valves and come through the holes in the wheel cover for easy pressure checking/airing.

There is often "terminology confusion" for these two very different set-ups.

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 156606
I may have misunderstood as well. However, on some of the valves we use the solid trucker type valve extensions and I thought he might be referring to those and we didn't need to remove those.

Jim C