Skip to main content
Topic: Problem starting "Lucy", my '84 6.2 Deisel LD (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Problem starting "Lucy", my '84 6.2 Deisel LD
Yahoo Message Number: 138211
Hey everyone! I've been a bad girl and didn't start "Lucy" up while I was house sitting for my mom and dad for a couple of months.  Now, I'm ready to get back on the road and she won't start.  The starter just kind of hums.  The battery is showing 11.4 volts, so maybe it's not charged enough.
 I live on the Oregon coast, so maybe some wires got oxidized or something.  Does anyone have any ideas of where I should start in my troubleshooting?

Thanks for any advice!

Kathy

Re: Problem starting "Lucy", my '84 6.2 Deisel LD
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 138213
"The battery is showing 11.4 volts, so maybe it's not charged enough."
 Start with the easy stuff and put a good battery charger on it. If it has removable caps ensure enough distilled water inside to rise over the  plates but not overfilled to spill out before charging. Since it is a diesel it will have 2 batteries. Make sure both of them read at least 12.6 volts before attempting to restart. How old are the batteries? If it restarts successfully after charging take it to a Napa, Autozone, etc. and have them load test the batteries. They may be ending there usable service life.
 Of course you may have other problems like charging system, phantom loads draining them, etc. But at this stage stick with the basics since it has been sitting for awhile.

Bob

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 138217
I live on the Oregon coast, so maybe some wires got oxidized or something.  Does anyone have any ideas of where I should start in my troubleshooting?

There are extra cables to the extra battery and a connection between cables at the battery under the hood.
The cable connections are only on diesels, and limited production.
If you remove and separate the cables I predict a lot of white powder.
Remove and replace the hardware that connects the two cables to the battery under the hood.
...don't confuse the cables when you put them back.

Good luck GP

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 138219
Thanks for the advice.  I'll report back when I figure out what's going on.  I didn't realize there were two batteries!  I read somewhere that one is under the drivers seat! Later! Kathy

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 138221
I read somewhere that one is under the drivers seat!

That would be too easy, it is under the floor under the driver's seat.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 138226
If you are reading the battery voltage on the panel inside the coach, that reading is for the house batteries, which has nothing to do with starting up the engine.  My guess is you just need a jumpstart.  I keep one of those portable jumpstarters (got mine at Costco).

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 138275
Actually we used a battery tester on the battery under the hood.  It's been rainy the last few days, so the sun is shining today and I'm gonna work on finding out what the problem is.  I'll check

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 138277
There is a battery box that is accessed from under the vehicle.
Unless you get a strongman to do it, the box is lowered (and raised) with a jack.
I had the under-floor battery changed out at Wal-Mart once and the mech told me it was the worst location he had ever dealt with. (I had to drop it down and tighten the connections later.)

If the battery is 12 years old.....

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 138278
Hey George! Thanks for the quick response!  I don't quite understand what you mean by "the box is lowered (and raised) with a jack."  Do you mean I have to jack Lucy up and look underneath where the seat is located for a black box?  And then get the battery out of the black box and check it?
 I've had Lucy for 12 years, the battery may be even older than that! After going thru all of this I hope it fixes my problem!  It will be nice to check the battery anyway I guess.
 Since I can't get her started, I can't drive her anywhere to have the work done and my AAA RV Plus ran out a few months ago and I really haven't had the extra money to reinstate my membership!  Darn! Thanks for your help, Kathy  [;;)]

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 138291
Well, I crawled underneath Lucy and located the black box.
Since I never even knew about the extra battery, and I've had Lucy for 12 years, I kind of doubt that it's the problem with Lucy not starting.

I think I will do some other troubleshooting that was mentioned earlier

Re: Problem starting "Lucy", my '84 6.2 Deisel LD - UPDATE!!!
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 138715
Hey everyone, I just thought I'd let you know what happened with starting "Lucy"! I loosened up the bolts on the black box under Lucy that held the extra battery that I never even knew about.  My good friend, George, put a hydraulic jack underneath it and finished loosening the bolts and lowered the battery, which was completely dead when we tested it. It wasn't easy, as we were parked

Re: Problem starting "Lucy"
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 138718
Kathy, since Dinosaur is right in your neighborhood, why not give them a call? When I was having altitude-related refrigerator problems last summer, I spoke with a Dinosaur tech at some length, and he was very helpful in troubleshooting the problem. (It ended up being a bad thermocouple.)
 Before you call anyone, however, you'll need to be able to describe the problem in more detail than just saying that the "Check" light keeps coming on.
 Does the fridge cool properly on 120 VAC? In gas mode, if you go outside, open the access door, and watch when it switches on, what do you see? (It helps to have a friend on the inside who will turn the fridge on and off while you stand outside and watch.) Is there a series of sparks? Is there a flame? Does the flame look normal (blue) or abnormal (yellow/orange)? Does the flame go out? How long does it stay on?
 These are questions that whoever diagnoses your refrigerator will need to know the answers to, so you should be prepared before you make the call.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"