Skip to main content
Topic: Question About Lynx Levelers (Read 20 times) previous topic - next topic
Question About Lynx Levelers
Yahoo Message Number: 138198
My old wood leveling blocks are cracked and ready to give up the ghost. I have decided to get the Lynx blocks and was looking at the 10 pack. Is this enough for most uses? When boondocking it seems might not be enough in certain circumstances. Also anyone have experience with the interlocking wheel chocks? Are these really necessary or just space wasters?

Thanks! Bob

Laguna Mountian BLM rec area for a few...

Re: Question About Lynx Levelers
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 138199
We have used Lynx blocks since we picked up our 26.5 MB in 3/07...recommend that you carry 3 sets of 10; fit nicely in street-side rear compartment. Sometimes we need only a few blocks and a couple of times we wished we had another 5 or 6! We also use the yellow chocks behind all 4 rear wheels when we've deployed a number of blocks or we find ourselves parked (like in our driveway) at an angle.

TinaP 2006 MB...hoping to head West NLT 6/1...and snow predicted for Friday in Maine!!!!

__ From: Robert bobmoore14@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:44 PM
 Subject: [LD] Question About Lynx Levelers

My old wood leveling blocks are cracked and ready to give up the ghost. I have decided to get the Lynx blocks and was looking at the 10 pack. Is this enough for most uses? When boondocking it seems might not be enough in certain circumstances. Also anyone have experience with the interlocking wheel chocks? Are these really necessary or just space wasters?

Thanks! Bob

Laguna Mountian BLM rec area for a few...

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
2006 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 138200
"I have decided to get the Lynx blocks and was looking at the 10 pack. Is this enough for most uses?"
 Not in my opinion. I carry thirty Lynx blocks. That's enough to raise all three wheels on one side by five inches. I also carry an additional ten in my car--not that I need to level the car, but they are the best way I've found for getting out of mud or snow. Better than any traction mats, sand, cat litter or that other usual remedies.
 Right now I'm in a a commercial campground, which you'd expect to be fairly level, but it's not... I'm using thirty blocks under the front wheels to level the coach.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 138201
Andy, Thanks! Guess I better start shopping for the best deal. Didn't know I would need so many.

Bob

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 138202
"Guess I better start shopping for the best deal."
 Because they're bulky, I always figured shipping costs would probably be excessive... so I just buy 'em at Walmart. Most Walmarts carry them, in the RV section of the automotive department, and the cost is usually thirty bucks per ten-pack.

Andy Baird

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 138204
"If you're a Amazon Prime member they are $36.99 per pack of ten

Bill Bussiere Fox Head, Inc."
After shopping around online turns out Andy is right. The shipping costs make local pickup at Walmart just as competitive as online pricing. They are actually cheaper at Walmart then Amazon by a few bucks.

Bob

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 138205
wrote: The shipping costs make local pickup at Walmart just as competitive as online pricing. They are actually cheaper at Walmart then Amazon by a few bucks.
--- I've never seen Lynx Levelers at any of the local-to-me, i.e., San Jose to Gilroy, Walmarts; it's worth a call to a specific store to check stock availability.
 The cheapest price for the 10-pack that I found online was from Adventure RV:
 http://www.adventurerv.net/lynx-levelers-camper-motorhome-pack-p-36.html?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=Froogle

I did *not* check shipping costs; I'm well-stocked with Lynx. ;-)
 Re: "block numbers"...I was pretty surprised to see *30* as the number carried; I carry *12*, and rarely use more than 6-8 in the most uneven conditions, even though I very seldom camp on reliably "flat" surfaces! However, I've seen some very "block-intensive" pyramids, i.e., long approach ramps of stepped blocks; I arrange the blocks in the smallest "pyramid" possible, and if I can get away with using one (squarely) under a wheel, I do that.  As long as the tire footprint is *fully supported*, I use the least number of blocks necessary to do the job.

As ever, YMMV!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 138206
"I've never seen Lynx Levelers at any of the local-to-me, i.e., San Jose to Gilroy, Walmarts; it's worth a call to a specific store to check stock availability."
 I ordered them online for in store pickup so hopefully they will be there when I arrive in a few days. $31.96 per 10 pack. On Adventurerv they were going to be around 36.00 with shipping. I'll go that route if Walmart fails me.

Thanks, Bob

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 138207
"The cheapest price for the 10-pack that I found online was from Adventure RV... [but] I did *not* check shipping costs."
 I did. Via UPS Ground, it would cost $14.11 to ship a set to my forwarding address in Livingston Texas, bringing the total cost to forty bucks--eight or ten bucks more than Walmart.
 "I've seen some very 'block-intensive' pyramids, i.e., long approach ramps of stepped blocks; I arrange the blocks in the smallest 'pyramid' possible, and if I can get away with using one (squarely) under a wheel, I do that."
 I'd like to see how you do this, Joan--I'm curious as to whether it differs from the way I do things.
 My approach is to overlap each level by half a block, with the top level being one block--to me, that's the smallest pyramid possible. But doing this requires an increasing number of blocks for each inch of height:

1" - 1 block 2" - 3 blocks 3" - 6 blocks 4" - 10 blocks 5" - 15 blocks
 Now, it is possible to "cheat" by omitting blocks on one end of the ramp--after all, you're only going to be driving up one side, not down the other--but doing so leaves a poorly supported structure that's vulnerable to crushing if you overrun even slightly while driving onto the ramp. If Lynx made half blocks to use on the front of the ramp, you could get away with using fewer blocks.
 Perhaps you're less sensitive to off-level conditions than I am? I judge by my midbath's bathroom door: if it stays put no matter how far open or closed it is, then I know I'm level. That's a pretty sensitive indicator, and I know it's a more stringent criterion than my fridge requires, but it's what I and my cat are comfortable with. (I like her to be able to open that door by herself, so I don't have to do it for her.)

Andy Baird

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 138208

"I've never seen Lynx Levelers at any of the local-to-me, i.e., San Jose to Gilroy, Walmarts; it's worth a call to a specific store to check stock availability."
 I ordered them online for in store pickup so hopefully they will be there when I arrive in a few days. $31.96 per 10 pack. On Adventurerv they were going to be around 36.00 with shipping. I'll go that route if Walmart fails me.

Thanks, Bob
Bob, bought mine at Walmart Almaden Exprressway San Jose.  Don't recall exact price.
Joe Hamm-San Jose

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 138210
Somebody who flunked math recently wrote:
 "I carry thirty Lynx blocks. That's enough to raise all three wheels on one side by five inches."
 Whoops! By my own numbers, that's only enough to raise three wheels by *four* inches (3 x 10 blocks). Thirty blocks will, however, raise two wheels five inches (2 x 15 blocks). Sorry for the error.

Andy Baird

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 138212
Interesting...I have two sets [20], but I also have kwikee levelers...what I do is lay blocks to raise the tires if they aren't able to raise the coach enough, then I can put blocks under where the levelers drop down..that gives me up to five inches of "lift", and frees the blocks for further use if needed.

Can be a little back and forth and up and down if you know what I mean, but I've been quite happy...and level...when needed on even the most angled parking space.

Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "CHERRYOTTE" our litte red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 138214
wrote: bought mine at Walmart Almaden Exprressway San Jose.  Don't recall exact price.
--- Joe, did you order the Lynx for store pickup at Almaden or just wander around until you found them wherever WM's "creative" stocking system stashed them!?

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 138215

wrote: bought mine at Walmart Almaden Exprressway San Jose.  Don't recall exact price.
--- Joe, did you order the Lynx for store pickup at Almaden or just wander around until you found them wherever WM's "creative" stocking system stashed them!?

Joan
Joan, just wandered in and picked up 10 pack Joe

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 138216
One of their workers told me that they rearrange things in store to make people have to walk around to find and pick up other things.

Jan/Scottsdale AZ.
  Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 23:53:54 +0000

wrote:
 bought mine at Walmart Almaden Exprressway San Jose.  Don't recall exact price.

---
 Joe, did you order the Lynx for store pickup at Almaden or just wander around until you found them wherever WM's "creative" stocking system stashed them!?

Joan

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 138222
"just wandered in and picked up 10 pack"
 I don't doubt that they move some things around from time to time. That's a common retail strategy. But at least in my experience, the Lynx blocks are always in the same place: in the RVing section, which is in the automotive department, on a bottom shelf. (That's also where you'll usually find the 30A extension cords.) I'd say at least half the Walmarts I've been in over the years have had them. Happy hunting! ;-)

Andy Baird

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 138230
What works for me is to use one or two of the plastic ramps along with the lynx blocks as needed. Meaning using either blocks or ramps per corner.
Ramps give you up to 3 inches and blocks can give you up to five inches or more. If more lift is needed I'll usually look for another site or even campground.
 With that said, for that primo site at lakes edge that we just must have but is on the side of a hill I will get the 20 ton bottle jacks out, lay down my 4X6 carpet and go to work. Blocks can be configured as a ramp or stacked and placed under the tires using the jacks. For this mid 70s old guy a gardener knee pad also comes in handy here. Also have cut plywood square "feet" for the jacks to sit on.
 As I said, this is my practice and it has served me well for over 30 years.
When ramping or blocking the rear I will always support both duals on one side evenly. In my opinion, in the long run it will keep undue forces off the outer axle bearings. I will always place blocks under the tires and remove all jacks when the leveling work is done.
 Also pack a 3 foot or longer carpenters level. Those tiny leveling bubbles stuck on the wall will usually get you in the ball park but they are only as good as their original placement. If the coach wasn't level when they were originally stuck on the wall they will always be off. Level not only for comfort and fridge but also for your bed...

Your mileage may differ...

Al

30' Class A

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 138243
"can't you do this..."
 Steve, I've tried that. But when I do it, the blocks that are dangling out in space tend to lever up the others on top of them. Then when I try to drive onto the ramp, there's a good chance of everything going askew, which can result in damaged blocks.
 This is where half blocks would help, used in the places where your diagram shows full blocks hanging out in space. They wouldn't lever up the other blocks, so the ramp would remain stable.

Andy Baird

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 138246
Steve, I've tried that. But when I do it, the blocks that are dangling out in space tend to lever up the others on top of them. Then when I try to drive onto the ramp, there's a good chance of everything going askew, which can result in damaged blocks.
Ha! You must have been fast on the draw Andy! On my Yahoo interface, it kept incorrectly re-arranging my diagram both times I tried posting, so I deleted them immediately. Somehow it must have displayed properly for you. I agree that method would be riskier, particularly if driving up without a scout. But, in a pinch....

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 138248

Ha! You must have been fast on the draw Andy! On my Yahoo interface, it kept incorrectly re-arranging my diagram both times I tried posting, so I deleted them immediately. Somehow it must have displayed properly for you.
I agree that method would be riskier, particularly if driving up without a scout. But, in a pinch....

Steve
Steve and Andy Why not cut a couple of them in half for such a situation? Two halves could still be used as full ones by putting two together  and rotating ninety degrees Tom.

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 138249
"Why not cut a couple of them in half for such a situation?"
 I've been saying I'll do that for about the last six months... just haven't gotten around to it yet. ;-)

Andy Baird

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 138250
"...just haven't gotten around to it yet. ;-)"

Andy Baird
If you'd like I can send you a couple of Round Tuits, I've got lots of them in my garage ! ;->

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 138255
wrote: Ha! You must have been fast on the draw Andy! On my Yahoo interface, it kept incorrectly re-arranging my diagram both times I tried posting, so I deleted them immediately. Somehow it must have displayed properly for you.
--- Steve, you, Tom J., and Andy are fast indeed; I didn't "beat the delete", so the subsequent postings brought a "HUH?!" from me, and I imagine others may have been confused, too. Can you provide a "word picture" of the block arrangement you attempted to diagram? If it's too much hassle, don't bother; I'll just remain "un-blocked"! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Question About Lynx Levelers
Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 138260
That is some mighty fine advice. It takes away the need to have so many blocks to build a drive-up pyramid, and also eliminates the need to drive-up or back-in over the ramps.
 We have twenty (two box sets), and on occasion use up to 12. I got them on AMZ for $37/box, but with free shipping since we're Prime members.
 I also quickly clued into your remark about using a small 3" leveler. Our original owner had placed the usual mini-levelers on the curtain runner above the driver's head. However, I began to suspect they were slightly off when we were at Lake Powell.
 If you haven't been there, their deluxe pads are brand spanking new, on perfectly formed & level concrete. Well, from outside, I could just "see" that our rig was perfectly level in every direction, yet the levels were slightly off. I started to look a little closer, and realized the flipping runner itself was off by a smidge! Doh!
 So, I played around twisting the levelers until they registered level, but I've been mulling a solution in the back of my mind. Immediately after I read your post, I realized I need to pull those dang things off and put a portable carpenter's level on the dinette table (situated between the two axles) when we're setting up.

Thanks for the advice!

K