Skip to main content
Topic: looking for Xantrex xs400 replacement (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
looking for Xantrex xs400 replacement
Yahoo Message Number: 137946
Looks like the Xantrex XS400 has passed on. Ours is located behind the drawers under the fridge. We have no power to our TV without shore or genset. The fuses are all good. I talked with Vince and he had me examine the inverter by pulling the drawers. There are no indicator lights lit and the GFI switch is has not popped.
Vince is recommending that I find the same model as he knows of now other inverter that will auto-switch the A/C.
Has anyone else replaced this inverter? If so, what did you use and does it have the same connections as the XS 400?
 BTW, we have the factory solar setup with 2 100W panels and the 22B charger.

Thanks, Richard

looking for Xantrex xs400 replacement
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 137948
http://www.bestconverter.com/WFCO-Pure-Sine-Wave-Inverters_c_54.html

Looks like the Xantrex XS400 has passed on. Ours is located behind the drawers under the fridge. We have no power to our TV without shore or genset. The fuses are all good. I talked with Vince and he had me examine the inverter by pulling the drawers. There are no indicator lights lit and the GFI switch is has not popped.
Vince is recommending that I find the same model as he knows of now other inverter that will auto-switch the A/C.
Has anyone else replaced this inverter? If so, what did you use and does it have the same connections as the XS 400?
Hi Richard The above link shows you my choice. I have been using this one from best converter dot com for about 10 years and it has always worked flawlessly.
Tom

Re: looking for Xantrex xs400 replacement
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 137952
I have a question about the location of your inverter. Is this area vented with a cooling fan near an exhaust vent? Heat kills inverters.
 My inverter is mounted inside the lower storage cabinet near the coach entry door. I had a small d.c. fan, exhaust vent, and intake vent installed to circulate cooling air because I use my inverter constantly.
Larry came up with the idea to use a standard LD furnace vent cover for the exhaust fan vent. Looks very factory and inverter runs much cooler now.

Bob

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 137968
 BTW, we have the factory solar setup with 2 100W panels and the 22B charger.

Thanks, Richard
Richard, I am assuming from your description that you have a 30' model as my 400 watt inverter is in the same location. Is the GFI switch the gray and black plastic switch located nearby? If not that is what tripped on ours not too long ago.

Jim C

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 137976
There is a GFI on the Xantrex itself that is not tripped. There are no indicator lights at all on the Xantrex - which seems very wrong.
Is there any fuse

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 137978
There should be a fuse or an indicator light on the Xantrex. If you cannot locate it get on the Xantrex web site as they should have a manual which you can download.........Ian

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 137979
"There is a GFI on the Xantrex itself that is not tripped. There are no indicator lights at all on the Xantrex - which seems very wrong'

It's time to get the multimeter out and do a little trouble shooting. Start tracing the power, beginning at the inverter's 12-volt input terminals. If there is 12-volt power at the terminals, then the problem is in the inverter. If no power, start tracing back, one component at a time, to the battery until you find 12-volts. Repair the problem and continue tracking until the circuit is repaired and reestablished.
Make sure to consider ground problems too, check them for resistance with the multimeter.
 If the inverter is powered and the external fuses/breakers are good, you can disconnected and open the box. Sometimes there are additional fuses and usually burned power transistors. Occasionally you will find a bad circuit breaker, another part that can be check withed the multimeter.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 138006
Sadly that did not solve the issue. I check with a multimeter and there's 12.5V coming into the Xantrex.
I tried ordering an XS400 from Tweety's and Infinigi - both reported the product is discontinued. Tweety's offered the Prowatt 600, but that model lacks the auto switch connection LD favors.
Apparently LD no longer uses inverters as they have dropped the Bose and use 12V TVs.
I guess my next step is to try to open the Xantrex and see if it has an internal fuse that's blown. Anything more complicated is above my pay grade.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 138007
If your unit is toes up, you should Google 'inverters with auto switch' I got several results at all price points. They are plenty of them out there. I believe all the high-end Prosine's have auto switching. You need to account for three sources, shore, genset and batteries. You may regret it, if you ignore the genset.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 138008
Sadly that did not solve the issue. I check with a multimeter and there's 12.5V coming into the Xantrex.
I tried ordering an XS400 from Tweety's and Infinigi - both reported the product is discontinued. Tweety's offered the Prowatt 600, but that model lacks the auto switch connection LD favors.

Richard, here's a link to that Xantrex. You might call to see if it's still made.
http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/power-inverters/xs400.aspx

Chris H
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 138009
You may find that a $40 400-watt, modified sine-wave inverter will power the TV and DVD player just fine.  This is what did when the original DIY 700-watt Xantrex inverter died, not wanting to spend a lot of money on another possibly short-lived appliance.
The $40 Costco Xantrex replacement has been working for at least five years, longer than the much more expensive inverter it replaced.
 Operating it on 12-volts all the time and not having the auto switching is nice but not necessary. If you have shore or generator power, the converter keeps the battery charged. The converter is up to the task of keeping up with the load, plus its normal battery charging duties.
An upgraded 'smart' converter is recommended for best battery life.

Larry W
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 138013
Most an inverter could work, but they all lack the auto-switch feature of the XS400. It shuts off when it detects shore or genset. Since the XS400 was discontinued, LD no longer installs inverters. All of the newer rigs have 12V TVs and the Bose system is no longer and option.
I've located a refurbished XS400 on eBay and will try to get mine fixed as well to keep as a spare.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 138014
"Maybe this one? http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/xr400.html" 
Joan

It's similar to the one I found at Costco many years ago.
Before spending $3-400 to replace a pure-sine wave inverter, it's worth investigating if it can be replaced by a much cheaper modified sine-wave inverter.
Heck, before I would spend that much, I would consider replacing the TV with a 12-volt LCD TV, with DVD player, and do away with the TV's inverter completely. Probably would use less power.
http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/19-lcd-tv-with-dvd-player.html>
http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen-24-led-dc-tv.html>
http://www.amazon.com/Jensen-JE1911RTL-Stand-Resolution-integrated/dp/B0050EHKMW>

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2001 MB

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 138017
"Larry"  wrote: I would consider replacing the TV with a 12-volt LCD TV, with DVD player, and do away with the TV's inverter completely.
--- I bought this small 12V TV with DVD player a year or so ago:
 http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-digital-tvdvd-combo-133-inch-flat-panel-p-9796.html

The (portable) set works fine, but since I rarely stay in places with a cable hookup, "what's on TV" is from whatever local signal, if any, it receives through the antenna. I find the iPad to be more practical, useful, and entertaining overall, and it doesn't take up nearly so much space! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home