Skip to main content
Topic: Andy's recommendation for waxes (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Andy's recommendation for waxes
Yahoo Message Number: 137913
Andy, at the Morro Bay GTG, you mentioned Mothers engineered SynWax for interior fiberglass surfaces like showers and counter tops.

Question: Would you consider that for the exterior of the LD? Or... something else?

-- Stevan S. Chandler CLPF California Licensed Professional Fiduciary #44

... when only a professional will do.
 Assistance for at risk persons; Bill paying service with home visits; Helping seniors with out-of-state family; Power of Attorney; Executor; Conservatorships; Guardianships; Trustee services P.O. Box 1426, San Mateo, CA 94401 phone 650-344-3233    fax 650-344-3833

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Andy's recommendation for waxes
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 137920
"Andy, at the Morro Bay GTG, you mentioned Mothers engineered SynWax for interior fiberglass surfaces like showers and counter tops."
 Actually, I mentioned Mothers #05701 California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax:
 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002U1TWQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0002U1TWQ&linkCode=as2&tag=andbai-20

Any automotive cleaner wax will work on the counters and sinks, but I like this one because it has a pleasant fruity smell, instead of the industrial-solvent odor of most car waxes. It's one thing use that kind of product on the exterior, where the smell quickly dissipates, but I don't want the interior of my rig smelling like an oil refinery for the next day or so after waxing my counters. The Mothers carnauba cleaner wax product avoids that.
 "Would you consider that for the exterior of the LD? Or... something else?"
 It works fine on the exterior, and in fact Consumer Reports put this cleaner wax at the top of its ratings when it came to producing a good shine. However, they noted--as Larry has pointed out--that a carnauba wax won't last as long as a polymer type. So you may get a slightly better shine, but you'll have to reapply the wax more often.
 Personally, I use Finish Kare on the exterior, but I think (I know this is heresy) that most automotive cleaner waxes work about the same, so it doesn't much matter which one you buy. What matters is how often you apply it... and as anybody who's seen Skylark lately can testify, in my case that's "not often enough." Waxing the rig is such an arduous job, and I have so many more interesting things to do... :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"