Skip to main content
Topic: valuables during service (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
valuables during service
Yahoo Message Number: 137827
I need some suggestions to leave valuables while vehicle is being service.

Thanks, Michelle Ress 22' 1982

Re: valuables during service
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 137832
I need some suggestions to leave valuables while vehicle is being service.

Thanks, Michelle Ress 22' 1982
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Michelle, assuming you mean appliances, accessories, etc. and not your cache of gold bars and diamonds, leave nothing visible and make sure you have a digital photo record of everything in the LD. It's quite easy to open the cupboards, doors, closets and storage compartments and simply take a digital photos of their contents for a permanent record. From a cost standpoint, other than perhaps a TV, cat heater, DVD player or similar items, most folks don't carry anything super expensive in their LD. Collectively, perhaps yes, but it's quite unlikely a service place would "clean you out".

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Casual storage of valuables
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 137834
On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 16:44:01 -0000, "Harry Bawcom" wrote:

all RVs need a bolted in safe
Knowing how easy such safes are to open, plus there is no good place to put one, I would pass on it.

You want safe? Open and remove a drawer in the wardrobe cabinet.
Plenty of space there. Try to think of the number of people who would think to remove a drawer looking for valuables. OK, a few hundred more now.
 Just one drawback to this, you need to know how to put the drawer back in.

No, this is not where I would stuff stuff while the rig is in for service. But, it works for us for long term storage of passports, etc.
If I were worried about service people stealing from me, I would go somewhere else.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Casual storage of valuables
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 137847
In our MB I removed the screws to the water pump access panel under the lower kitchen cabinet, clipped the heads off the screws, and glued them back into the holes in the panel with Goop. Then I installed magnets so the access panel looks like it's screwed on, but pops off easily. If we leave the rig I stash things like hard drives in a plastic container on top of the water pump and just snap the panel back in place. From a casual perspective it looks for all the world like it's got six screws securely holding it there.

Charlie

On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 16:44:01 -0000, "Harry Bawcom" wrote:

all RVs need a bolted in safe Knowing how easy such safes are to open, plus there is no good place to put one, I would pass on it.

You want safe? Open and remove a drawer in the wardrobe cabinet.
Plenty of space there. Try to think of the number of people who would think to remove a drawer looking for valuables. OK, a few hundred more now.
 Just one drawback to this, you need to know how to put the drawer back in.

No, this is not where I would stuff stuff while the rig is in for service. But, it works for us for long term storage of passports, etc.
If I were worried about service people stealing from me, I would go somewhere else.

Cheers, Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 137860
As others have mentioned, there are a numerous options for little "cubby" hide-a-ways in the LD. In the popular MB, there's a very secure spot in the cupboard to the left of the microwave - but you'll need to cut a hole in the thin paneling to access the void in the very corner were the sink vent goes up to the roof.
 Cut an access hole in the outboard end of the cupboard lower shelf. Cut a replacement end piece to cover the hole and attach with Velcro. Unlikely anyone would ever find this spot unless they read this! With kitchen items placed back in this cupboard the false end cover is absolutely unnoticable. The void within is large enough for a handgun, wallets, several pounds of gold coins (I wish) and all manner of other valuables.
 Back when I was a cop in the '70's, I was also an evidence tech for 3 years, so I got to process thousands of crime scenes and talk to victims. I'd tell folks there's one place they could hide small things where burglars never look.  Remove plastic end cap from ironing board leg to stash a roll of cash or diamond ring etc. Burglars don't steal ironing boards - ever.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 137865
On 3/30/2013 9:17 AM, bumpersoar wrote:

Back when I was a cop in the '70's, I was also an evidence tech for 3 years, so I got to process thousands of crime scenes and talk to victims. I'd tell folks there's one place they could hide small things where burglars never look. Remove plastic end cap from ironing board leg to stash a roll of cash or diamond ring etc. Burglars don't steal ironing boards - ever.
I think I must be the last person on earth who still actually IRONS! I love this additional use for the board. I suppose it would look pretty odd to carry an ironing board on the rig, just to hid valuables . . .

Sonsie

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: valuables during service
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 137866
Thank you for the story. Probably an inside job. Things would have ended better had the safe been empty and door swinging.
 Security at a tourist destination parking lot or restaurant for a few hours is all we are after and it would seem a hidden safe with a motion detector screamer would do the job. A secretive location could be just as good.
 Dometics also can burn down their coaches. I haven't done it yet but a halon extinguisher can be mounted
Harry 2006RB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 137876
"I think I must be the last person on earth who still actually IRONS!"
 Oh, I doubt it. I never iron clothes for wear. I'm 63; I don't worry about a few wrinkles. ;-) But just about anybody who sews also needs to iron--you gotta press those seams flat!--and so I do carry a small ironing board.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"