Skip to main content
Topic: New owner mistake. The door latch. (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
New owner mistake. The door latch.
Yahoo Message Number: 137820
I feel a little sheepish posting this because all the old hands keep telling us to keep up with the preventive maintenance (PM).
 My door has been getting harder and harder to open and close.  I've been paying a lot of attention to the door threads.  There were no unusual warping when I got it to close all the way.  But to get it to close I had to give a good yank.  Additionally, it was so hard to open that I sometimes thought the door was still locked.    I was sure  we had a latch alignment issue inside the door.  Yesterday I was taking care of some other things and just for kicks also lubed the door latch. It has been a year sense the previous owner (a stickler for PM) lubed the door. Now the door works like it was new.
 I used bicycle chain lube that has teflon in it.  It was the lube I had and is likely the wrong stuff (will not last long enough).  I'll look up the suggested stuff and go the store next week when we get home.  I will also go after the other little stuff next week when we get home.
 Warm weather is here in the Mid Atlantic.  Time to go camping!  Take care and have fun everyone.
John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath