Skip to main content
Topic: How old is TOO old? (Read 504 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: How old is TOO old?
Reply #50
Yahoo Message Number: 137997
Yes Andy is correct! IMHO all RVs are a gamble, Repairs are part of full time or occasional RV use. A new Lazy Daze may statistically prove to be a better bet, but its not a sure thing. Being handy, resourceful and proactive lessens the gap between newer and older. YMMV, Either way traveling in a Lazy Daze improves your odds for a safe enjoyable trip! Find the LD that fits your life and go for it! Besides someday almost every LD will have a second owner, eventually.

Sent by wireless

Reply #51
Yahoo Message Number: 138003
I would classify our 1982 as a large bug out bag, certainly more than a hobby, and less than a full time set up as dictated by circumstances.
 Pair our 82 Lazy Daze with our 06 Prius and we have a pretty good set up. We can't tow the Prius but its mileage is good enough we can drive it and if the LD breaks down we have a back up vehicle with which to continue. With the rear seats down there is room to sleep.

The latest issue I'm having is one of the tw

Reply #52
Yahoo Message Number: 138004
Indeed. I don't full-time. That means I don't need a satellite dish for TV because I don't take a TV, I go to leave it behind. I don't need internet access for the same reason. Without those, I don't need a generator, my solar is enough.
 If you need those, they probably don't come with an old unit, and retrofitting can be a nightmare. Anyone thinking of full-timing is thinking of buying a small town. Sewage treatment, water treatment, electric, gas, cable and internet utilities, along with a house and a car, you buy it all, and unless you're wealthy, you mainta

Reply #53
Yahoo Message Number: 138005
On 2013-04-03 12:21, safoocat wrote:

So yes an old rig is for the handy person. I bought this 82 in 2006 for $4500, probably paid too much and now I'm up to $14,000. I share this to give those considering an older unit some insight.

That includes everything, parts, labor, registration, you name it.
I don't think I could have shelled out $14K at the time but but $4.5K I had in my pocket so that was our entre into the world of Lazy Daze.
Thanks for the info.. We've got a slightly newer unit ('85 MP) that I believe we bought for about $3500 about 2 years ago.  We immediately had to buy new tires as the ones that came with it were already 12 years old -- the prior owner hadn't ever changed them in their ownership and that scared me -- so that was about $1500.. I've since spent probably close to $1k in various parts & upgrades (two new ceiling fans/vents, plywood & related supplies to rebuild walls with termite/dryrot due to water and various other fixes.  Yes, I agree that it can be a money pit -- sure I've made the rig better but still have more tasks to do including resealing the roof and finding an elusive leak that causes small amounts of water to pool in the bunk area which is also rotten and to be addressed this summer with a rebuild in that area.  I'm currently in the process of re-installing the rear bath sink which a prior owner removed..
Luckily I snarfed various pieces from an '87 LD MP that was being parted so I've got templates to use..
 I also agree that IF I was not able to pony up big $$ to get a newer more troublefree LD, that I would not have an LD or any other rig at all.. It's just not possible.. I don't mind as much doing the rework to get a decent rig.. Sure it doesn't look nearly as nice as a newer unit but it will be fine for our needs. Will I recoup my expenses when it gets sold?  NO.. and I'm fine with that.. Perhaps I'll drive it until it is dead..

Reply #54
Yahoo Message Number: 138016
"Anyone thinking of full-timing is thinking of buying a small town. Sewage treatment, water treatment, electric, gas, cable and internet utilities, along with a house and a car, you buy it all, and unless you're wealthy, you maintain it all."
 This is, and will probably remain, my favorite quote ever about owning a motor home! Thank you, marcrwhtaker...
Kristin

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
1997 MB

Reply #55
Yahoo Message Number: 138020
"Anyone thinking of full-timing is thinking of buying a small town. Sewage treatment, water treatment, electric, gas, cable and internet utilities, along with a house and a car, you buy it all, and unless you're wealthy, you maintain it all."
 Very true! If you full time as I do make sure to have critical spares and tools on board. Given the unreliability of the Shurflo water pumps that should be at the top of your list. At least a couple gallons of water also. If your waterpump goes out typically you have to drain the water tank to replace or get a big mess. You will need the water.
 In my past experience with SOB things always break when your boondocking 30 miles from the nearest town. Maybe other full timers can chime in about other critical spares (fuses, toilet parts, etc.)to carry.

Bob Hollister, CA. for a few

Reply #56
Yahoo Message Number: 138021
You could/should put an on/off valve between the pump input and tank. You can then shut off a leak or replace the pump without draining your water 30 miles from the nearest town.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #57
Yahoo Message Number: 138022
"You could/should put an on/off valve between the pump input and tank. You can then shut off a leak or replace the pump without draining your water 30 miles from the nearest town."
 A simple solution I had not thought of thanks. I suspect many will not do this proactively. But I will.

Bob

Reply #58
Yahoo Message Number: 138023
"You could/should put an on/off valve between the pump input and tank. You can then shut off a leak or replace the pump without draining your water 30 miles from the nearest town."

Only had to drain the tank once to know this was an improvement.

Reply #59
Yahoo Message Number: 138026
Having a shutoff between the tank and the water pump is a fortunate side effect of installing a winterizing kit like this one:
 http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-Pump-Converter-Winterizing/dp/B0006JJ588

IIRC, I had to get a few more fittings to make everything connect correctly, but it makes winterizing with the pink stuff a snap.
 Some reviewers say that the 3-way valve causes flow restriction.  The pass through is much smaller than the hose diameter, but I didn't notice any practical difference
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 MB

Reply #60
Yahoo Message Number: 138036
"You could/should put an on/off valve between the pump input and tank. You can then shut off a leak or replace the pump without draining your water..."
 It's a good idea, no question. But for those who haven't gotten around to doing it yet, I'll echo another suggestion: a Vise-Grip pliers and two small pieces of scrap wood can be used to gently squeeze the input hose flat, allowing you to service the water pump without making a mess or draining your tank.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #61
Yahoo Message Number: 138040
 A simple solution I had not thought of thanks. I suspect many will not do this proactively. But I will.

Bob
Great idea, does anyone know what the inside diameter of the hose is? Ours in an 06.

Jim C

Reply #62
Yahoo Message Number: 138045
 A good idea.  In my 2005 MB I have a Camco "anti-freeze injector" installed between the fresh water tank and the pump.  When you turn its valve to the "inject" position, it isolates the fresh water tank.  The kit is relatively inexpensive. It is meant to be installed in this location and comes with all the fittings, etc.  It might be easier to install the kit than individually purchased components, even if you never use it for anti-freeze.
 My MB still has the older Shurflo 5.7 variable speed pump.  I have always carried a spare pump and have done two replacements in campgrounds while traveling.  To make pump replacement easier I did two things:

Modified the pump's electrical connection to include a screw terminal
strip and spade lugs.  This eliminated  the wire nuts, which were hard to remove/replace in the area where the pump is located.

Changed the pump mounting scheme and rotated its position a bit to make
the physical remove/replace easier.  This also gave me room to install the Shurflow "quieting kit" tubing.
 During pump replacement I didn't have a problem with water flow from the fresh water tank.  However, I still had a bit of a mess.  When you disconnect the output line of the pump, you get water backflow from the LD plumbing as it drains the lines.  Depending on how your rig is plumbed, this could include water from the water heater.
 When I did the second replacement I "pinched off" the output line with a pair of vise grips and two small blocks of wood before I disconnected the line from the pump.  Much less water spilled!

Doug

Reply #63
I realize this is an old thread, but I haven't seen a newer one.

When we bought our 1989 MP with a Chevy G30 cab (with a 350 TBI engine), the Chevy cab and smaller engine were BIG draws for me. I've driven and attempted to maintain several. similar vintage E350 Fords with the 460, and didn't really want that experience again. Even with fuel injection, I found every one incredibly thirsty, spooky handling (bump steer and tons of sway), and they LOVE to snap exhaust manifold bolts on long upgrades.

I live in Durango CO. We own a motorhome so we can have a heater box to take skiing in the winter.

Taking out motorhome North of town means driving over Red Mountain Pass- This:

Windy roads, narrow roads, bad roads- cab handling matters!

And my, oh my does the Chevy cab handle better than the Ford. It is simply easy, even nimble. The 350 engine is economical, even with a 3 speed transmission- we get about 10 driving over passes, 12 on flat ground, 8 pulling a boat trailer. The 350 cruises at 65 mph without fanfare on flats, and will run within a semblance of the speed limit uphill on most Colorado passes (where the steepest ones tend to get lower speed limits). All in all I am pretty amazed.

As far as longevity, GM did pretty well on the last years of the Gen 1 small and big blocks. Lots go well past 200k. Ours has 140k. I had a heavily modified 1991 Firebird Formula 350 15 years ago. I abused the hell out of it with 200 HP of nitrous among many other bolt ons. The engine lasted until 161K miles and was replaced due to blowby from the rings almost certainly attributed to the N20. Taking it apart the bearings looked like they would run another 100k.
1989 MP