Skip to main content
Topic: Fool Proof TPMS (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Fool Proof TPMS
Yahoo Message Number: 137626
Here is the system I use:  Hand-held digital, illuminated tire guage for around $10. Alligator valve caps on every tire including toad, about $1 each.  System is accurate, cheap, no false alarms, easy to use.   You can check all of your tires in about 2 minutes in an easy walk-around.  I do this walk around anyway before starting out in the morning, and at each comfort stop.  You should be doing a walk-around anyway, every time you stop.  I usually stop at least every 2-3 hours anyway. Not likely you are going to lose enough air between checks to go flat unless you have a major puncture and you will know about that right away anyway.   Spend your $600 or so on solar.

Re: Fool Proof TPMS
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 137645
I got my TPMS system because I discovered, by experience, that I did NOT know a tire was in trouble right away, or even at all. Even with a completely flat rear tire, I could not discern any change in handling, ride, or noise, whether at highway speed or town speed; further, a tire on the trailer can literally disintegrate and disappear, leaving the trailer riding on the steel rim, and I am unable to know that's happened until I see some sparks or very agitated people pull up beside, pointing wildly behind me.
 So, checking tires frequently visually is a good idea; but checking the pressure second by second while driving - in addition - is even better.
It took me two flat rear tires and one flat trailer tire to learn this lesson.

Eric Greenwell
2005 Jayco 24SS