Skip to main content
Topic: Morro Bay (Read 26 times) previous topic - next topic
Morro Bay
Yahoo Message Number: 137379
I dont know anyone will get this but we were on our way to Morro Bay today aned had a problem. Our toad caughton fire and has resulted in a delay. My question is we have reservatione from the 14th-17th and will come up tommorow but will they give our spot away? I can,t get thru to Reserve America. Bummer!  Don & Judee Hofstad 909-621-3600

Re: Morro Bay
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 137388
"Our toad caught on fire and has resulted in a delay."

Holy smokes! I'm so sorry to hear that, Don & Judee.

Here's what the ReserveAmerica confirmation letter says:

If you need to change your arrival/departure date and/or site, you must call ReserveAmerica at 1-800-695-2269 by 5:00 PM the day before your arrival date. A change fee of $8.00 will be assessed per reserved campsite.
 If you cancel your reservation after 5:00 PM the day before your arrival date, the campsite fee for one night is forfeited.
 A campsite will be held for you until 12:00 NOON the day after your arrival date. If you have not called the park before that time, you will be considered a "no show" and the park will cancel your reservation. You will be refunded the amount paid for the campsite, less the non-refundable $8.00 reservation fee, the $7.50 cancellation fee and one night use fee. If you miss your first day but plan to arrive later, you must call the park each day to hold the remainder of your reservation.

So it sounds as if you're good till noon tomorrow even if you don't do anything, but you'll want to call them as soon as possible and let them know. Their posted call center hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., but they don't say what time zone they're talking about. I'd say give 'em a call tomorrow to let them know you'll be late.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Morro Bay - Toad Fire
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 137428
Inquiring minds wish to know more info on the Toad fire ??

Dave W
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.

Re: Morro Bay - Toad Fire
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 137449
"Inquiring minds wish to know more info on the Toad fire ??"
 I'll summarize what Don told me. (Yes, he and Judee did make it to Morro Bay a day late.) He had been having problems with the Brake Buddy saying that it wasn't getting enough power from its plug-in connection to the toad's electrical system to operate properly. He decided to turn it off and drive up here without the toad brakes, taking it slowly and carefully. However, he left the Brake Buddy physically in place--wedged against the driver's seat and with its arm attached to the brake pedal.
 Somewhere along the way, the Brake Buddy apparently actuated, locking the Saturn's brakes. The first Don knew about it was when he saw smoke in the rear-view mirror. By the time he stopped, the tires were shredded and the Saturn's front end was on fire, with the plastic fenders melting and the hood warped.
 Don and several passersby tried to put out the blaze with powder extinguishers, but were unsuccessful. (Foam might have worked better, but it's hard to say for sure.) Eventually the fire department arrived.

I'm sure Don can provide more info when he gets back online.

Andy Baird

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 137452
This event makes me wonder what preventable measures I could take to avoid it. I have a Jeep Cherokee Toad which I prize (It is the Country Model with the rare upgraded part time 4WD transfer case). Larry has done a lot of work on it and it runs perfect with only 77K miles for a "97" Any advice on preventative measures would be appreciated.

Bob 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee Toad

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 137455
This event makes me wonder what preventable measures I could take to avoid it.
A Tire Pressure Monitoring System(TPMS) is the answer. It would have informed the driver as soon as a tire started to loose air. That way damage is limited to buying one, or perhaps two, tires. Worse case. The driver is informed he has a very big problem and better stop now.

Ed

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 137459
Thanks for the enlightenment. I don't have my BB set with enough pressure to lock the brakes, but they would still overheat
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 137460
"A Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is the answer. It would have informed the driver as soon as a tire started to lose air."
 I've been putting off adding one of these systems for years, but I can't fault Bob's reasoning. Maybe it's time to add that to my list...

Andy Baird

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 137461
"A Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is the answer."
 Okay this makes sense. What is the preferred unit? In other words what are you using? I don't have enough gadgets on my dashboard - scanguage, GPS, IPAD, Back up camera, etc. already LOL.

Bob 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee Toad

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 137468
"A Tire Pressure Monitoring System(TPMS) is the answer."

I think a TPMS with a temperature sensor is the answer.
The tires may not blow out until the brakes are already hot enough to have started a fire. The inner fenders, of most vehicles, are thick, flammable plastic, located very close to the brakes and wheels. Once they get burning, the show is over.
The tires are blowing out due to the hot brakes transferring heat through the wheels into the tires, not from skidding and wearing through the tread.
I never heard of or driven an RV with toad brakes powerful enough to lock up all four wheels of the toad's wheels and never the front brakes. If they were locked up, you would have to be asleep not to notice. Partially applied toad brakes will still heat things up nicely and may not be noticeable.
 As to using fire extinguishers on this type of fire or most automotive fires, the small dry chemical and foam cans are made to help get you out of the rig in an emergency, not knock down a developed fire. A small fire, they can handle but once a fire gets going, it takes much more than what a couple hand held extinguishers can provide in most cases.
I like AFFF foam extinguishers for any type of fire except electrical. It is really works and I don't know why it isn't more widely available. It sure is effective in aircraft fires.
 I have seen a lot of high-end pushers with automatic fire suppression systems, the type used in aircraft and race cars.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=FIRESYSSFI>
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/saf-rs10hdb-sfi?seid=google&gclid=CMv1mJDShbYCFQhxQgodJAIAAQ>

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

- Toad Fire
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 137471
I have been using the 'TireTracker' pressure/heat monitoring system for the last three years. The best feature is the sensors have replaceable batteries. System works well. See link below where I purchased the TT.
https://lawrencerv.com/products.asp?cat=16>

http://www.tiretraker.com>
 I learned of foam fire extinguishers from members of this group. (See link below) I bought a case of them to use in our vehicles, home and shop. I also keep the dry powder type in all the same places. It can be found on Amazon or Camping Survival.

http://fireade.com/products/view/FireAde2000>
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 137493
I think the systems that install inside the wheel, as OEM systems do, would report the temperature well enough. The ones that mount on the valve stems will, I'm told, still report an increase in temperature if the brakes overheat, but not nearly the same amount of temperature increase, nor as quickly. For a toad, the in-tire systems are reasonably easy to have installed, and the tire places are accustomed to them, as all the new cars have them. Just be sure the system you choose does report and alarm on temperature.
 Of course, the TPMS will still work for you while you are driving the toad, as long as you have the monitor moved to the vehicle (or have a duplicate in it)!

Eric
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 137494
" The ones that mount on the valve stems will, I'm told, still report an increase in temperature if the brakes overheat, but not nearly the same amount of temperature increase, nor as quickly."

Eric
 I see Pressure Pro sensors will report excessively high pressure (something like 24 PSI over the set pressure) as well as temperature. Before a tire get hot enough to pop, I would imagine the pressure goes up much than 24 psi.
Yes, a TPMS system is a valuable system to have and can save thousands of dollars of damage...it's just that high admission price that stops most of us. It is looking much more reasonable after this weekends burning.
My insurance deductible is $1000, more than the cost of the monitor kit.
 Question for those who use an external, stem-mount sensor...do you still need to check the pressures daily, using a gauge to make sure the sensors indicated pressure is correct or is this unnecessary ? It would be nice to eliminate one more chore.

Hey Joan, tell my wife we need one of these.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 137495
Hi There!! Im a waanabee and have tried to unsubscribe but haven't been successful. can you please advise me how to unsubscribe.

Tina Aschenberg
(949)-307-5580

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 137498
"we sit in the cab and scroll through the receiving unit to look at all the pressures"

Linda
 Thanks, that is what I wanted to know. This should reduce the times needed each year to top off the tire pressure, replacing the air lost during checking.

Larry
2001 MB

Re: Unsubscribing was Morro Bay - Toad Fire
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 137499
If you are receiving posts via email, at the end of each email you'll see instructions on how to unsubscribe.  The email you send should be blank; i.e., nothing in either the Subject line or the body.
 If you read the posts at the website, then click on "Edit Membership" (you'll have to be logged in), scroll down to the very bottom and, on the right-hand side, click on "Leave Group."

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 137500
Hi There!! Im a waanabee and have tried to unsubscribe but haven't been successful. can you please advise me how to unsubscribe.

Tina Aschenberg (949)-307-5580 tinaasch@...
Tina, above ever message is "edit membership" toward the top-left.  Just open that and unsubscribe at the bottom.

Joe Hamm

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 137503
Question for those who use an external, stem-mount sensor...do you still need to check the pressures daily, using a gauge to make sure the sensors indicated pressure is correct or is this unnecessary ? It would be nice to eliminate one more chore.
I've had the Tire Traker TPMS system for the last three or four years. By & large it works just fine but, as is the case with all electronics, it's not flawless.  Now and then I get a message that one sensor has simply lost communication with the receiver. In a few minutes communication is reestablished.  Twice over the last three or four years I got a false alarm. I pulled over then used my tire gauge to read the alarmed tire plus another corresponding tire to confirm the alarm. False alarm. When I continued on, the false alarm went away.

http://www.tiretraker.com/
 Read the specs and you will note the tire pressure reading is accurate within +-4% so if your tire pressure is set with a perfectly accurate gauge(is there such a thing?) to 70# the TPMS may well read from 67# to 73#. As the user, I know that so when I'm scrolling through the tire pressures and reading are between those numbers I'm OK.  Twice a year I remove the sensors and using my gauge of unknown  accuracy, adjust all the pressures. Or were they OK before my adjustment?? Beats me.
The tire temperature is accurate to +-5%. Again, close enough to indicate a pending problem.

For me the system was money well spent.

ed

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 137507
I set the tire pressures at the start of the season to 60 psi (all six tires on my SOB). After I place the pressure sensors on the tires, they all read 60 psi +/- 1 psi at most, giving me confidence that my gauge and the sensors are all reading accurately. From then on, I just read the tire pressures from the monitor in the cab - easy, and take only 10 sec (literally! Even in rain, wind, snow, and blazing heat). It's very rare that I need to add air to any of the tires all season long - about 8 months.
 My Pressure Pro units do not have temperatures; however, I don't think that would have much value.

Eric
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 137515
Another remark: A four unit system for a toad might only be $120-$250 for the in-wheel units. Search amazon for TPMS in the Automotive category. Getting them installed - $10 a tire? Here's an example:
 http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Electronic-P409S-Retrofit-Monitoring/dp/B002DYH586/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Eric Greenwell
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 137522
"A four unit system for a toad might only be $120-$250 for the in-wheel units. Search amazon for TPMS in the Automotive category. Getting them installed - $10 a tire? Here's an example: http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Electronic-P409S-Retrofit-Monitoring/dp/B002DYH586/\ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top" 
Eric
 Reading the instructions shows the TPMS linked shows that it is for a 4 wheel vehicle only, with no upgrade for additional wheels.
All of us need a minimum of 6 wheels and, with a toad, 10 wheels.
Reading through their website made me smile, reminding me of the Japaneses technical literature I read growing up in the 1960's, obviously written by non-native English speakers.
I think I will pass and go for a more recognizable brand.

$10 a wheel to install an internal sensor in an RV wheel? Not at any tire shop I use. Rebalancing will cost that much. Most shops will charge a minimum of $20 a wheel and up.
RVs are a lot more work than cars and, accordingly, cost more.
It's a good idea to have the wheels rebalanced after the internal sensors are installed since the sensors adds an ounce per wheel.
 A problem I see with internal sensors is the airing of the rear tires.
Extended stems can not be used, leaving you with the choice between the awkward, hard to find and use truck inflators and gauges or using the problem prone extended hoses...oh joy.
External sensors do have their advantages.

Still considering.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2001 MB