Skip to main content
Topic: Stabilizers (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
Stabilizers
Yahoo Message Number: 137344
Hi, New to Rving and am considering a Lazy Daze 27mb and wondered about the need or desirability of stabilizers or other after market products to inprove road handling. What thoughts can you share with a "newbie"?

Re: Stabilizers
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 137350
Hi, New to Rving and am considering a Lazy Daze 27mb and wondered about the need or desirability of stabilizers or other after market products to inprove road handling. What thoughts can you share with a "newbie"?
It could depend on the kind of terrain you expect to traverse in your unit. We picked up our new LD MB last summer at the Mothership and drove it home to Pittsburgh, all Interstate driving. Since, we have driven it to Florida a couple of times, again all Interstate driving. The LD handles very well in these situations, IMHO, and no further suspension "add-ons" are necessary.  But, if you anticipate driving more rugged terrain such as some roads into the mountains or national forests or such, improvements might be desireable.

Bob
2011 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 137356
Linh, first, welcome to the group.  I remember my early days here, considering the purchase of a MB, doing my research.  This is a great resource.
 Second, as to an auxiliary braking system, while it is POSSIBLE to tow a car without an auxiliary braking system, the required braking distance is much greater without than with such a system.  In addition, on a long, steep grade, an auxiliary braking system reduces the load, thus the heat, on the primary braking system, thus reducing the chance of losing the brakes.  I have towed my vehicle to a service facility when the auxiliary braking was not working, but I think most of us agree that routinely towing without an auxiliary braking system is rather foolish.  Adding to that, in many states is is required by law to have auxiliary braking if the towed vehicle is above a certain minimum, commonly somewhere around 2000 pounds.  So, the simple answer seems to be YES, you need an auxiliary braking system to tow a Jeep Wrangler.
 As to stabilizers, you will not see a similar consensus as to steering and sway stabilizers.  Some here are great believers in them.  On my '08 MB, I do not have them.  I feel no need for them.  Additionally, early in my travels I stopped at Henderson Line-Up in Grants Pass, OR for an alignment, ride and control assessment.  Bear in mind that they sell and install a wide variety of stabilizers.  They found that I needed a front end alignment, a common condition for new rigs.  I did NOT need any supplemental stabilization systems.  I returned to them 2 years later for a follow-up.  All was fine.  I STRONGLY recommend several things.  First, have good tires on your rig.  Second, make sure they are properly inflated.  Third, make sure your alignment is ok.  Fourth, if you will be near southwest Oregon, make an appointment with Hendersons.  They can check alignment, front and rear, check your shocks and bushings, check for any linkage play, wear or damage, and they routinely do a road test to assess things like sway, drift, steering play and so on.
 One argument put forth for a steering stabilizer is for better control in case of a blow-out.  This is achieved by a pair of springs mounted to an arm by each wheel that try to return the wheel to straight forward from any deflection or by a shock absorber that prevents any abrupt steering movement.  Personally, I don't want to have to fight those springs on every turn, nor do I want an intentional abrupt steering avoidance maneuver to be resisted by a shock absorber.  These are just my opinions.  Many dismiss these concerns as being insignificant compared to the enhanced control in case of a blow out.  Ultimately, it is your decision.  If you go with any system added to your steering, please be sure that you check it regularly to assure that it is functioning properly and adjusted so as not to pull to one side or the other.

Best of luck in your decision-making.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 137357
On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 10:30:57 -0600, Kenneth Fears wrote:

Second, make sure they are properly inflated.
Probably the #1 mistake of owners. The proper inflation depends on knowing both the front and rear axle weights and then referring to the tire manufacturers inflation schedule.

Fourth, if you will be near southwest Oregon, make an appointment with Hendersons.
You may need to call a week before you plan to be there.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 137361
Hi:  I agree with Ken's assessments.  I also  have a 2008 IB with no stabilizers, but it does have Bilsteen gas shocks which I believe are beneficial.  When Ken mentions a steering stabilizer which is "a pair of springs mounted to an arm by each (front) wheel" that matches a product called Steer Safe.  My prior LD was a 2002 IB and I did have Steer Safe stabilizers installed at their factory in Deming, NM.  Cost is about $450.  Their main benefit, in my opinion, was in helping keep the LD stabilized when being passed by a big truck, or in windy conditions.  After driving several thousand miles I decided their benefit was probably not worth their cost and I would not get them again.  The Steer Safe is a good product, just not for me.  If you do opt for a Steer Safe they will inspect and adjust it (if needed) any time you stop by the factory.   Good luck and welcome the Lazy Daze.  Please do not hesitate to pose questions to the group.    Gale
G N Wilson
2008 Mid-Bath

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 137363
"One argument put forth for a steering stabilizer is for better control in case of a blow-out. This is achieved by a pair of springs mounted to an arm by each wheel that try to return the wheel to straight forward from any deflection or by a shock absorber that prevents any abrupt steering movement"

Ken
 Both type of stabilizer you mention have problems. I have readjusted both types and seen significant failures or continue adjustment problems with both types. I would not want either type. When they break or go out of adjustment, it can cause steering problems, just the thing you were trying to avoid in the first place.
The shock absorber type stabilizers often slip on the drag link. The frame mount requires welding and excludes the possibility of going back to the stock stabilizer.
The spring type stabilizes suffer from broken springs or the mounting hardware slips, throwing it out of balance, both bad news and requiring a trip to the shop for repairs.
None of these problem can happen if left stock.
 Our 2003 23.5' LD is stock, except for the Bilstein shocks, and has seen all sorts of road and weather conditions and has handled then without problems. Bigger sway bars are the only thing I would like but are  costly. Longer models will benefit from bigger sway bars. especially when heavily loaded.
Bilstein or Koni shocks are good replacement for the stock shocks.
My best suggestion to consider upgrades only after driving the rig loaded, for a few thousand miles.
 Our visit years ago to Henderson taught me that it is good place to spend a lot of money. They were ready to sell me thousands of dollars worth of 'upgrades', no matter if they were needed or not. I'm sure there would have been an improvement but I wasn't ready to spend $5000 to experiment.
I have seen rigs loaded with 'upgraded' suspension pieces that are definitely not needed. If considering upgrades, do them one at a time to determine what, if any improvements can be attributed to the new part.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 137370
"Personally, I don't want to have to fight those springs on every turn"
 I have the Steer-Safe stabilizers (the spring type), and there's no sensation of increased steering effort. That said, I can't really tell that they make the rig any more stable in crosswind or passing-truck situations. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't spend the money.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 137376
Hello, Ken.
 I believe you correctly described one of the available steering stabilizers available for the Ford Cut-away cab chassis.  The other is a replacement for the original equipment Ford steering stabilizer that is installed by the Ford factory.  I have had both on our 2001 LD - actually have had two of the direct replacement type.
 The one you describe is the "Steer Safe" stabilizer.  It did not add but very little to the steering wheel turning force requirement for us, primarily because of the effect of the power steering.  What it did do was to greatly decrease the effect of road surfaces trying to steer the front wheels.  For example, should a tire blow out, the amount of steering input from the flat tire is greatly reduced.

The replacement steering stabilizer design is called 'Safe-T-Plus'.
They are designed to replace the stock Ford stabilizer, which is an oil filled dampener.  It is intended to reduce the self steering effect of the tires on different road surfaces.  Our experience is that on our two Class C's, these units were both worn out at less than 25,000 miles.  The Safe-T-Plus retains the oil dampener design of the stock Ford unit but also incorporated two centering springs

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 137377
We are on our second LD: the first a 26' and the current a 30.' I agree with Andy on the 26' but I definitely feel more comfortable in the 30' with the stabilizers.

Bob in FL (Still nursing shingles!) SE 5

__ From: Andy Baird andybaird@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:04 PM
 Subject: [LD] Re: Stabilizers

"Personally, I don't want to have to fight those springs on every turn"
 I have the Steer-Safe stabilizers (the spring type), and there's no sensation of increased steering effort. That said, I can't really tell that they make the rig any more stable in crosswind or passing-truck situations. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't spend the money.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]