Skip to main content
Topic: Big WHOOPS! (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Big WHOOPS!
Yahoo Message Number: 137331
Well, much to my chagrin, I'm back to being stuck in the high desert, unemployed again.
 I had all my windows open yesterday while working on getting the hard water stains off my rig, and this morning after trying to open one of my rear dinette windows, I almost threw my back out because it was swollen shut from the heat (only 75 degrees out, but the sun is wicked strong).  I tried tapping the window, and just as MY luck would have it, I broke it.  BIG shatter spot that spider-webbed throughout the entire window.
 Does anyone have any information on window replacements?  Of course it just HAD to be the odd shaped, LD specific rear slider that's custom tinted, so I know this is really gonna cost me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Roads into Death Valley?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 137332
Does anyone know if NV-267 from Scotty's Junction on US-95 to the Grapevine Rangers Station southwest of Scotty's Castle is open?  It was closed this past fall and I can't find anything on the NPS Death Valley website that mentions the road one way or another.  I tried calling Death Valley, but it appears that there is no way to talk to a real live person and their "Road Conditions" voice messaging didn't mention it, either.

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Re: Roads into Death Valley?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 137333
Ignore my previous question.  In looking around further on the Death Valley website, I noticed they have a Facebook page on road conditions.  Lo and behold, I found the information I was seeking there...the road IS open!

Linda Hylton

Re: Big WHOOPS!
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 137334
Does anyone have any information on window replacements?  Of course it just HAD to be the odd shaped, LD specific rear slider that's custom tinted, so I know this is really gonna cost me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I have a cracked window in my coach that I'm planning on having fixed when I head to Southern California. A call to the mothership to ask about pricing, and they referred me to NagCo (National Glass Company), LD's glass supplier. They can fix the windows for you at a decent price, the quote for my side coach window was $251 installed. I did have a discussion with another LDer who had a window replaced at a local shop in Seattle and was pleased with it without having to make a trip down south.
 Any shop that works with Laminate glass should be able to install new glass and match the 9% tint, but if you're in Southern California, visit NagCo.

NagCo Glass 243 E Holt Ave Pomona, CA 91767 909-985-6519

Good Luck.

Tyler F 2001 26RB

Speaking of road closures
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 137335
It's interesting that you bring up a question about road closures/notices.
 We're heading out to Vegas, Zion, Grand Cyn, Needles & back to SoCal

Re: Big WHOOPS!
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 137338
The glass you have is 9% grey tinted laminate, not safety glass.
NAGCO  in LA is who installs it for LD. As I understand it you can have a regular glass company order it, but they want you to give them the broken window so they can match the shape.
 This means you have to get it taken out and installed as well. If you go to NAGCO, they will replace it on the spot. I had mine done a few years back and it was less than $300...I think it was @$220 or so...?
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "CHERRYOTTE" our litte red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Re: Speaking of road closures
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 137341
The road closure is not between Flagstaff and Phoenix...it's about 25 miles south of Page.  US-89 is closed between it's junction with US-89A and AZ-98.
The road section sustained major damage and it might take a year or more to repair.  We prefer driving US-89A, anyway, so *for us,* we won't be affected by the closure.  However, anyone heading to Page from the south will have to go miles out of their way to get there!

Linda Hylton

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 137342
No kidding!  From the intersection of 89 and 89A, it is 28 miles to Lake Powell.  If you have to go through Kanab on 89A to get around the damage, it is 162 miles!  Good thing it's not summer when all the boaters are traveling north on 89.  But the damage was so extensive it may not be fixed by summer.

Dick

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 137343
"No kidding!  From the intersection of 89 and 89A, it is 28 miles to Lake Powell.  If you have to go through Kanab on 89A to get around the damage, it is 162 miles!  Good thing it's not summer when all the boaters are traveling north on 89.  But the damage was so extensive it may not be fixed by summer."

Destination Page from the south (coming from Flagstaff), detour at AZ 160 toward Tuba City then north on AZ 98 to Page for a total of 116 miles.
 Destination Page from Kanab, take US 89 across Utah to the UT/AZ border then across Glen Canyon Dam at Page for a total of 74 miles.  No detour in this route.
 US 89A south from Kanab, through Fredonia to Jacob Lake and across the Kaibab Plateau then traversing the Vermilion Cliffs is a scenic route of extraordinary beauty.  The view north from the Kaibab across the Grand Staircase was thought by Frederick Dellenbaugh of the 2nd Powell Expedition to rival the beauty of the Grand Canyon itself.
 There are also wonderful boondocking locations along the US 89A route.  RV sites at Lees Ferry which is the geographic start of the Grand Canyon.

Dan
2007 IB-30

Speaking of road closures
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 137352
I recall that route very well. To really date myself, just the two of us were doing a western road trip

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 137362
Feb 2, we drove our SOB from Page to Flagstaff; on Feb 15, we drove from Flagstaff to Page , same road. I'm sure glad we dodged that bullet! If it stays closed for the summer is going to cause a lot of tourists some extra driving.

Eric Greenwell
2005 Jayco 24SS