Skip to main content
Topic: Eternabond Quandary (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Eternabond Quandary
Yahoo Message Number: 137328
I was planning on doing the roof with Eternabond. Have read the stuff on the LD Companion and noted that Larry mentioned about 5 years out he noted some minor cracking in the tape somewhere but I believe he put another layer on it.
 Anyway I have been looking at the site eternabond.com and am a bit confused on how to proceed. On their photo how to install page they make no mention of having to peel off a protective layer while putting it down. Isn't there a layer like that?
 Second I noted that they sell a coating product called UV Protector. On one of the pages they suggest that you use that to coat over the tape you put down.

I emailed them and asked about that and this was the response.
 "Thank you for having interest in our products. The Web Seal product has UV stabilizing properties inside the tape already but for maximum protection it's recommended that you coat the product after application and thus extending the life of the tape as well as the roof."
 Has anyone used the product and/or what are your thoughts on using it?

Jim C

Re: Eternabond Quandary
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 137348
"Have read the stuff on the LD Companion and noted that Larry mentioned about 5 years out he noted some minor cracking in the tape somewhere but I believe he put another layer on it."

Jim

The companion article is a compilation of several postings by various members. I have ever seen Eternabond Tape crack.
 What I have seen is occasional lifting on edges, primarily where one piece of tape crosses another.  This usually happen on the front seam, in the corners.
When lapping layers of tape, I wipe the bottom layer of tape with acetone before applying the second layer to remove any debris accumulated during the installation.
I suspect even oil from fingers can interfere with the bonding.
When I do find lifting, cleaning the area with acetone and then applying 3M 5200 along the edges cures the problem. I now do this on the front seam when applying Eternabond.
 Yes, the Eternabond's protective tape must be removed to expose the adhesive surface.
 I have never used a coating on Eternabond, its top surface is a thick layer of ultraviolet-resistant plastic. The tape was originally used for sealing seams in commercial membrane roofs and has a long life expectancy, without a coating.
You can always apply the coating later, if you see the need.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)