Skip to main content
Topic: Towing a Scion xB (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Towing a Scion xB
Yahoo Message Number: 137252
I couldn't help but be amused when it was pointed out to me that the new 2013 MotorHome Guide to Dinghy Towing stated, "..Toyota's Scion brand has politely excused all of its models from dinghy-tow duty."
 We have towed a 2008 manual transmission Scion xB behind our LD since 2007. It has been a fantastic car. I think it is the only new car I ever owned that has never been back to the dealer for any repairs.
 When the Scion xB first was introduced in the USA in 2003 as a 2004 model, it was a "box on wheels", mostly unchanged from the Japanese version. It was very popular with the younger generation, and it fit in perfectly with Toyota's vision for the Scion brand. Toyota hopes that young drivers will become Scion owners and move up the Toyota food chain  and someday own a Lexus.
 Then, in 2007, Toyota decided to change the xB to appeal to American taste. Unfortunately, for Scion, it became popular with the wrong group of people. And, unpopular with younger drivers. I don't think seeing a Scion xB being towed by a motorhome is appealing to young, hip drivers.
 Last year, rumors were flying that the xB would be killed. However, Toyota did finally introduce a 2013 model this past December. The 2013 model has a few cosmetic changes, but mechanically it is unchanged.
 Maybe when MotorHome magazine contacted Toyota for this years's Guide, a Scion executive thought, "Maybe we shouldn't advertise the fact that  people can tow our cars behind their motorhomes. It is hurting our image."
 My guess is that the 2013 xB Owner's Manual still states that the manual transmission xB can be flat-towed behind a motorhome, just like the Owner's Manual for our 2008 manual transmission xB.

Kevin Lindsay 2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB
Kevin Lindsay
2000 Lazy Daze 30 IB

Re: Towing a Scion xB
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 137253
Good info.  Thanks.
I have been looking for a Toad, including the xB.
Will be my first tow behind car.
Is it true or not..
That all vehicles with MANUAL TRANSMISSION can be towed all wheels down?

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 137257
"Is it true or not... That all vehicles with MANUAL TRANSMISSION can be towed all wheels down?"
 ABSOLUTELY NOT! Take that advice, and you're likely to be facing a major transmission repair bill.
 I'll say it one more time: read the appropriate "Dinghy Guide" to find candidate models, but be aware that they may have errors or omissions. The final authority is the owner's manual for the specific car you intend to buy. Unless it says you can flat-tow that car, DON'T BUY.
 Everything else is hearsay, and this is a case where following hearsay can be a very expensive mistake.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 137259
Good info.  Thanks.
I have been looking for a Toad, including the xB.
Will be my first tow behind car.
Is it true or not..
That all vehicles with MANUAL TRANSMISSION can be towed all wheels down?
In looking for a toad, I thought a Miata would be a fun sightseeing vehicle. I downloaded the manual (most manufacturer's sites have these links) and found it is not towable (at least for 2013); in this case, apparently, because the car has a transaxle (engine in front, transmission and differential combined at rear axle), an unusual arrangement. I don't know why this is an issue, but I'm not willing to risk damage. FWD cars with a manual tranny ALSO have a transaxle. I believe the lubrication is separate from the engine in most cases, and probably not an issue. As Andy said, I would go by the manual.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 137260
There are a number of manual transmissions that will not properly lub the bearings on the shaft that comes out of the transmission and connects to the drive shaft (output shaft).  That shaft,
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 137264
There are a number of manual transmissions that will not properly lub the bearings on the shaft that comes out of the transmission and connects to the drive shaft (output shaft).  That shaft, in normal operation, is oiled by the spinning of other gears when the car is getting power from the engine.
Interesting - of course this would imply that while driving the car, you can't safely coast with your foot on the clutch. Although it is unlikely one would do this more than half a block or so, I would think that if the above is true, the owner's manual would advise against it to avoid liability.
 I have on occasion used this technique when in neutral to avoid shifting into whatever gear I would need to resume driving when the traffic clears ahead.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit