Skip to main content
Topic: Installing Unifed Tow Brake Controller (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Installing Unifed Tow Brake Controller
Yahoo Message Number: 137204
Folks,  I just bought a used Honda CRV that was previously set up with a US Gear UTB system.  I just need to add the MH components to my 2003 LD RB.
 Those that installed this system in your MH ... were you able to connect the brake controller to brake swith via a pigtail of some sort and then use the LD circuits on the back of the rig with an umbelical cord?  OR did you have to install a complete wiring harness?  Any help would be approciated.

Jeff in Illinois

Re: Installing Unifed Tow Brake Controller
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 137206
"did you have to install a complete wiring harness?"

Jeff
 The US Gear brake uses the rear tail light wires plus another wire running from the cab controller to the toad. There is also an added 12-volt, fused hot wire running from the chassis battery to the US Brake unit in the toad, used to keep the toad's battery charged. You will need a 6-pin umbilical cord and plugs.
See below for installation instructions.
http://www.usgear.cc/utb_install/utbcomponentshi.htm

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 137209
Larry,
 I did look a those installation instructions and I guess I am still confused.  The guy at US Gear sadi I could order a cable that connects the controller directly to the E450s brake light swith via a plug

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 137211
"The guy at US Gear said I could order a cable that connects the controller directly to the E450s brake light switch via a plug in that is already provided by Ford under the dash somewhere."

Jeff
 That may be, I have never seen a conversion cable. You would still need to run the fused hot wire from the starting battery to the rear of the LD.
LDs come with a 4-pin plug which will need to be changed to a 6-pin plug, with a matching umbilical cord. Make sure to use the right pin for the battery and ground wires.
Depending on the year of your LD, you may need a tail light relay to provide the proper voltage to the toad's tail lights.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 137221
Thanks Larry.  I think it is all beginning to make sense now.  I've never wired things up like this before.  Can you tell? lol

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 137223
"I think it is all beginning to make sense now. I've never wired things up like this before. Can you tell? "

Jeff
 We all begin someplace. The purpose of the forum is to pass along information.
Good luck with your project.

Larry
2001 MB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 137224
Larry,
 One more question I guess.  Since the tow brake is putting on the brakes

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 137226
Jeff,
 I'm not Larry, but remember the toad needs functioning turning and running lights as well.

Alex Rutchka, SE #4 '05 MB