Skip to main content
Topic: Get Lost/Got Lost (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Get Lost/Got Lost
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 137188
That is pretty cool. I wonder what the cost of sending a message is when you do not have access to a cell tower and what satellites are being used for communications when a cell tower is not handy?  I understand the GPS part, just not the e-mail part.
 There was a Sat Phone company (cir 2002-2006) that was having trouble keeping satellites
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 137190
Both bumper and I have InReach units, primarily for use in our gliders, as we rarely have cell phone access in the air. It always uses the Iridium satellite network, never a cell phone network. That's the advantage for pilots, hikers, fisherman, even RVers - it can communicate as long as it can see the sky.

Unlike the SPOT unit, which can only send position reports and SOS messages (and what bumper and I used to use), InReach can also receive messages. Cost of short text messages is not high, but a lot more than on your cell phone.

Eric Greenwell
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 137194
"I wonder what the cost of sending a message is when you do not have access to a cell tower and what satellites are being used for communications when a cell tower is not handy?"
 As Eric explained, InReach uses the Iridium satellite constellation--not the cellular network. Their rates are posted on their website:
 http://inreachdelorme.com/product-info/subscription-plans.php

Eric and Bumper can comment on this, but I suspect that a low-powered Iridium-based system like InReach isn't likely to provide reliable communication inside a metal-framed building.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 137196
I saw the cost as I dug into the service more.  I was a (lot) hasty posting and just could not help but post a dig at the TV show "24".  I enjoyed the show but like most such shows made a sacrifice to physics and science to help the story line.  I have been out of the program for some time that used the sat phone but I did pass the web site though they likely already know about it.  It looks to be a great is a great tool for a blue water sailor, pilot (as stated)and others. The costs are not that wild for what is offered.

It is a very cool devise.
 We are very quickly getting to a world that where a normal Joe can not get lost in, a better off Schmo might already be there.  A (small) part of me that finds that a little sad.

John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 137201
I've had my Delorme InReach since last August. Used it for flying into and camping in the Idaho back country (Salmon River wilderness area). It works well even when down at the bottom of steep walled canyons, though it one canyon it took about 5 minutes to get the message sent out - -  guess it had to wait for a satellite to come into view. It works laying on the seat of my car with the antenna horizontal (it should optimally be vertical), and inside my home. But not in my all metal hangar.with the doors closed.
 From my testing and use, reliability is excellent. Gives one the ability to communicate with any cell phone that can accept text messaging, or any email address, and from anywhere in the world. That, besides being able to send a SOS distress message if you find yourself in serious doo-doo (i.e. a life threatening emergency). Then it allows responders to communicate with you (assuming you have a smart phone or similar so you can accept text messages from the InReach) and you can in turn respond with additional info about your situation if need be.

bumper

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 137229
That, besides being able to send a SOS distress message if you find yourself in serious doo-doo (i.e. a life threatening emergency). Then it allows responders to communicate with you (assuming you have a smart phone or similar so you can accept text messages from the InReach) and you can in turn respond with additional info about your situation if need be.

bumper
Life threatening like needing a refresh on your latte?

Jim C