Skip to main content
Topic: atomic clock outdoor reading (Read 23 times) previous topic - next topic
atomic clock outdoor reading
Yahoo Message Number: 137153
Clock on our 1999 30' LD reads "--" for outdoor temperature. Presume the  outside sensor or its battery needs replacement, but cannot determine it's location. Where is the outside temperature sensor located?

Thanks!

Re: atomic clock outdoor reading
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 137155
The factory-supplied clock on our 2000 30' was an analog clock without any temperature capability. I would imagine that the 1999 model was the same. My guess is that the original clock was replaced with the clock you now have. So, there is no easy way to determine the sensor location. I would look
Kevin Lindsay
2000 Lazy Daze 30 IB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 137157
"Where is the outside temperature sensor located?"
 Many people mount it under the overcab, on the right side... but if it were in that location, you'd already have spotted it.
 I tried mounting mine there, but driving in the rain soon killed it--those thing aren't built to handle water being sprayed at them at 55 mph. So I mounted mine in the propane compartment, forward of the tank, where it's protected from spray but gets plenty of fresh air (since that compartment is open on the bottom).
 In your case, though, it's anybody's guess where the previous owner chose to put the sensor. You'll just have to crawl underneath and look, I'm afraid.
 I recommend lithium batteries for these sensors. They'll outlast conventional alkaline batteries, so you won't have to do this chore as often.
 Note that after you replace the sensor's battery, the clock will probably not reestablish contact on its own. You'll have to pull the batteries from the clock for a few seconds and then replace them, forcing it to reset... and then you'll have to go through the clock's setup procedure.
 It's best to have the owner's manual on hand for this, as these clocks will step you through a lot of setup options, and the display isn't always self-explanatory. For example, if you don't know that "-7" means Mountain time (Greenwich mean time minus seven hours), you're in for a lot of head-scratching. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 137165
On 3/3/2013 9:07 AM, Andy Baird wrote:

It's best to have the owner's manual on hand for this, as these clocks will step you through a lot of setup options, and the display isn't always self-explanatory.
And if you don't have the owner's manual, try googling the clock manufacturer and visiting that site. Most electronics suppliers have a support section for old manuals, downloads, drivers, etc. I've gotten a lot of good information there when all else failed.

Sonsie

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 137166
It sounds like you do not have a factory-installed clock and temp sensor.  If you DO have a factory installed setup, my sensor is located inside a black plastic pipe with a screw end cap, under the left rear corner of the rig.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 137167
The outside temperature sensor is prone to failure also. When the battery died on our factory installed 2011 Atomic Clock- LaCrosse had to ship a new sensor. The original sensor would not connect to the clock. I had to follow LaCrosse instructions before they would ship a new sensor.
James 2011 TK at Lake Havasu City

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 137172
We have ours in the phony spare tire on our 30IB. It seems to work pretty well there. If the RV is parked facing east, the afternoon west sun on the back of the rig does read a higher temp. We are mostly interested in the morning temp so we know how to dress for our morning escapes.

Placed in in the same area on our 26 RB with good results.

Bob SE 5

__ From: James Jackson rvfriendly@...>
 To: "lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com" lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com>
 Sent: Sunday, March 3, 2013 4:19 PM
 Subject: Re: [LD] atomic clock outdoor reading

The outside temperature sensor is prone to failure also. When the battery died on our factory installed 2011 Atomic Clock- LaCrosse had to ship a new sensor. The original sensor would not connect to the clock. I had to follow LaCrosse instructions before they would ship a new sensor.
James 2011 TK at Lake Havasu City

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 137289
It sounds like you do not have a factory-installed clock and temp sensor.  If you DO have a factory installed setup, my sensor is located inside a black plastic pipe with a screw end cap, under the left rear corner of the rig.

Ken F in NM
Thanks to all for the assistance. The temperature sensor was never located. It is either mia or never existed. Next step is to secure one.  Thanks again!

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 137290
Thanks to all for the assistance. The temperature sensor was never located. It is either mia or never existed. Next step is to secure one.  Thanks again!
This is probably what you are looking for.
http://tinyurl.com/d2g7szj

Joe Hamm

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 137295
For what it's worth, I've owned three atomic clocks from LaCrosse, one of which is in my 2008 LD.    Two of the three have had the outdoor sensor fail.  They only one still working is the newest one in my home which is about 3 months old.   When the first outdoor sensor failed I asked for help from LaCrosse.  Their info is not real user friendy, but I followed their directions to the letter with no success.     Pretty much a waste of time.  You're better off accepting that you have a nice clock that gives indoor temperature, or, for $30 bucks or so,  just buy a new clock when the old sensor fails.    Good luck,  Gale
G N Wilson
2008 Mid-Bath

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 137297
Incidentally, many clock/thermometers from La Crosse, Oregon Scientific and the Weather Channel can use the same remote sensor.
 I have three different clock/thermometers--a big one in the kitchen, a mediu-sized one in the lounge, and a small one in the bathroom--all using the same outdoor sensor, which is mounted in my propane compartment. That arrangement has worked fine for the past six years or so.

Andy Baird

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 137302
Ivan sometimes like what it does.
John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 137306
My LaCrosse atomic clock was not in a Lazy Daze, but in my GMC.  The outdoor remote transmitter was in the propane compartment, thus shielded from rain, but the propane tank acted as a heat (or cold) sink, so the outdoor temperature wasn't all that accurate.  Been working fine for 5 years.  Batteries lasted about 8 or nine months.  Only problem was that you have to pull the batteries in the clock, then the batteries in the remote, then replace the remote batteries, wait a minute of so, then replace the batteries in the clock.  Then wait until the remote came online before you set the clock.  Or, you could just wait 24 hours, and the clock would eventually reset itself.
Somewhat of a minor PITA.  If your clock has works with more than one remote, you may have to relocate them after replacing the batteries.  The mounting bracket and the battery cover are removeable, so I labeled them 1, 2, 3.
Then I put the properly labeled remote in the location that I had named for that number.  I had a small paper label stuck on the clock that said "1-Freezer       2-Fridge       3-Outside".
 My Oregon Scientific remotes don't use the same frequency as the LaSalle units.  Good thing, cause that would really screw things up when the coach is home.  And the Oregon Scientific remotes have a 3 position switch inside, which you set to 1, 2 or 3 so you know which remote reading is which.  I've been using Oregon Scientific in the house and LaSalle in the coach, and the transmission ranges are longer than the distance between the coach and the house.  Boy, would that be confusing.

RonC North Plains, ORYGUN

4a Re: atomic clock outdoor reading Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:54 am (PDT) .
Posted by: galelynn2 For what it's worth, I've owned three atomic clocks from LaCrosse, one of which is in my 2008 LD. Two of the three have had the outdoor sensor fail. They only one still working is the newest one in my home which is about 3 months old. When the first outdoor sensor failed I asked for help from LaCrosse. Their info is not real user friendy, but I followed their directions to the letter with no success. Pretty much a waste of time. You're better off accepting that you have a nice clock that gives indoor temperature, or, for $30 bucks or so, just buy a new clock when the old sensor fails. Good luck, Gale

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 137856
On 3/11/2013 11:12 AM, Andy Baird wrote:
 "I have three different clock/thermometers--a big one in the kitchen, a medium-sized one in the lounge, and a small one in the bathroom--all using the same outdoor sensor, which is mounted in my propane compartment. That arrangement has worked fine for the past six years or so."

Andy, where exactly do you have the outdoor sensor mounted in the propane compartment? I was looking at it yesterday to figure out the best spot where it won't be affected by spray from the road, and wasn't sure where that would be.

Thanks!

Fern
Fern Horst
Formerly owned:
1979 TK - "Dorie" (2007-2012)
2003 MB - "Absaroka" (2012-2019)

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 137858
Andy, where exactly do you have the outdoor sensor mounted in the propane compartment? I was looking at it yesterday to figure out the best spot where it won't be affected by spray from the road, and wasn't sure where that would be.
If that would be a problem, look at the pattern of crud around the tank. Mounting the sensor at cleanest point is a good bet. Also, mount with a bracket such that the port for the thermistor is vertical, and pointed to the rear.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 137875
"Andy, where exactly do you have the outdoor sensor mounted in the propane compartment?"
 It's mounted (with 3M Dual Lock tape) to the bulkhead forward of the tank--to the right of the tank, as you face the compartment. I think that may be the tapered section joining the coach to the cab, or a bulkhead just behind it.
 It has worked there for nearly seven years now, "talking" to three different clock/thermometers indoors. The only drawback is that when you've been driving or running the generator, a blanket of warm air spreads underneath the coach, causing higher-than-ambient readings. But other than that, it's a well-protected location with ready access to outside air, so it works well.

Andy Baird

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 138031
Our sensor "died" a few days ago.  We followed the instructions on the back of the sensor to replace the batteries.  Nada.
 Then, I went to the LaCrosse website and followed much more detailed instructions for changing batteries.

Here it is:
 http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/support/top_solutions.php#a

Key steps not documented on sensor label.  After removing batteries from sensor and clock, THEN, first, push any button on back of clock at least 20 times to discharge residual power in clock, and THEN, second, allow clock to sit without batteries for at least 15 minutes to complete full discharge of residual power from clock.
 Only after clock display is completely blank, with no faint readout, then install fresh batteries in sensor, followed by inserting batteries in clock.  Clock should show time of "12:00".  Within one minute, remote sensor should read temp.  Wait 5 minutes before setting correct time.
 Eureka! (copyright Andy)  Our sensor, now named "Lazarus", was reborn.

Ted