Skip to main content
Topic: Driving CA Route 1 (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Driving CA Route 1
Yahoo Message Number: 137132
Hi...

In April, we will be driving north from L.A. to WA state, and are considering taking Route 1 up the coast. I know parts of that road are narrow, curvy, and beautiful. We have a TK. I am wondering what advice any of you would like to share with us on the advisability of this plan. So you know something of our experience, I will say that last September we traveled lots of mountain roads, on 395 in CA and NV, as well as in Yosemite and 101 through northern CA.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Raney Ellis

Re: Driving CA Route 1
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 137133
At 01:11 PM 2/28/2013, you wrote:

In April, we will be driving north from L.A. to WA state, and are considering taking Route 1 up the coast. I know parts of that road are narrow, curvy, and beautiful. We have a TK. I am wondering what advice any of you would like to share with us on the advisability of this plan.
We live in San Luis Obispo, and have taken Route 1 to Carmel several times, mostly stopping in Big Sur for a night or  two. It is fairly easy in a 24-27 foot LD; I've never tried it in a larger one.

It IS curvy, narrow, and slow going, but there are pullouts (which you should take advantage of, so as not to anger drivers behind you in fast little sports cars). The views are spectacular, and worth the extended driving time and hassles involved in driving this road. Be sure to check before you leave (and periodically) regarding paving and cave-in issues around Big Sur. This area periodically requires serious repairs and maintenance due to rockslides, water damage, etc.
I think it is open right now, but can't predict what's coming in the way of weather to mess it up again.
 I would not recommend taking Hwy 1 all the way from San Diego, L.A., and up to your final destination; in SoCal much of it goes through industrial areas or suburbs that are not particularly attractive or interesting. It's also a major business route down there. Look instead to start somewhere in the Central Coast around Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo. These areas are quite scenic.

Above Carmel, you can go as far as Mendocino, which is another glorious leg of the journey. After that, you'll have to turn inland.

Here's a useful link regarding the entire length of the journey:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_1

Sonsie

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 137134
Views are great from Route 1 north and south of San Francisco but if all possible make the trek southbound. Much, much safer with most turn-outs being on the ocean side...

Al

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 137135
"if all possible make the trek southbound."
 Good advice. It makes for easy use of the turnouts and, if the days are sunny, you will be stopping often.
If I was to make this trip with limited time off, I would bite the bullet and drive I-5 straight north, as far as you want to go and then head out to the coast for the drive south.
Get the bad part over quickly.
 We have driven all the coastal roads from SoCal to the Canadian border in our 23.5' FL. It has been fine most everywhere.
The one exception is Hwy-1 north of Fort Bragg to Hwy-101. It is very narrow and curvy, not the thing for many RV drivers. My main concern is to keep from running over the bike riders, who too like riding south-bound. Just take it slow and use the turnouts.
 Make sure you allocate lots of time for the drive south, it takes so much longer just to do the driving part, when compared to I-5. The drive from Seattle, out to the coast and down to Ventura is probably 5-6 very long days of just driving.
Many try to do it too quickly and just spend their days driving instead of exploring and playing. It might be better to explore one area thoroughly and plan a future trip for the other sections.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 137138
We took it north
Enjoying our 2013 MB,  our first was a 2005 26'IB
NE54 & SE11
Fran and Matt
Wagonmasters of the NELD Caravan group
2017-2019

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 137139
From San Francisco northward, I think you will have no problem.  I know no experience southward.

The road goes through pretty empty country.  Some is cliff-side but there are miles of forest and farmland.  Very pretty indeed.  Maybe visit Point Reyes National Seashore.  Apart from occasional violent weather - and that's been damned scarce lately - you will prolly have a great trip.

John

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 137140
Raney, We love mountain roads. We live on one and drive back roads regularly, however a little over a year ago we drove RT 1 from Oregon to Carmel, CA, southbound, in our 24TK. The section from Fort Bragg to Bodega Bay was harrowing. There were spots where part of the road had fallen away, down the cliff, into the ocean. Northbound would be less of a problem but still we will route around it in the future.
Our suggestion would be to continue on 101 after you cross the Golden Gate Bridge to Cloverdale. There you can pick up a really pretty road, RT 128 to the coast and continue north. It's a beautiful coast all the way up.
Califonia stops: South of Big Sur there is Nepenthe which a great spot to stop for lunch with a beautiful view of the coast. In artichoke country, south of Half Moon Bay there is a restaurant named Duarte's in the community of Pescadero. They have artichoke soup, cioppino, incredible garlic bread and great pies. These two have been our favorites for years. I'm gaining weight writing this. Enjoy the drive, but remember that it will take considerably more time driving that way to really appreciate it.
Patti & John Golden, CO

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 137141
We did it in our 26RB towing a few years ago north to south. Wow! What a trip. Very scenic and beautiful. Saw many whales breaching off the coast from several pull outs. Definitely not for the faint of heart but very doable if you take your time and enjoy the trip. There was a Class A that looked to be 36 to 38' ahead of us. He left us in the dust. I could not believe he could take the curves and a couple of the hair pins but we never saw him again after a few miles.

It could be that "ignorance is bliss."

Bob SE 5

__ From: Sonsie Conroy sconroy@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:25 PM
 Subject: Re: [LD] Driving CA Route 1

At 01:11 PM 2/28/2013, you wrote:

In April, we will be driving north from L.A. to WA state, and are considering taking Route 1 up the coast. I know parts of that road are narrow, curvy, and beautiful. We have a TK. I am wondering what advice any of you would like to share with us on the advisability of this plan.
We live in San Luis Obispo, and have taken Route 1 to Carmel several times, mostly stopping in Big Sur for a night or  two. It is fairly easy in a 24-27 foot LD; I've never tried it in a larger one.

It IS curvy, narrow, and slow going, but there are pullouts (which you should take advantage of, so as not to anger drivers behind you in fast little sports cars). The views are spectacular, and worth the extended driving time and hassles involved in driving this road. Be sure to check before you leave (and periodically) regarding paving and cave-in issues around Big Sur. This area periodically requires serious repairs and maintenance due to rockslides, water damage, etc.
I think it is open right now, but can't predict what's coming in the way of weather to mess it up again.
 I would not recommend taking Hwy 1 all the way from San Diego, L.A., and up to your final destination; in SoCal much of it goes through industrial areas or suburbs that are not particularly attractive or interesting. It's also a major business route down there. Look instead to start somewhere in the Central Coast around Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo. These areas are quite scenic.

Above Carmel, you can go as far as Mendocino, which is another glorious leg of the journey. After that, you'll have to turn inland.

Here's a useful link regarding the entire length of the journey:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_1

Sonsie

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 137142
Hi...
 In April, we will be driving north from L.A. to WA state, and are considering taking Route 1 up the coast. I know parts of that road are narrow, curvy, and beautiful. We have a TK. I am wondering what advice any of you would like to share with us on the advisability of this plan. So you know something of our experience, I will say that last September we traveled lots of mountain roads, on 395 in CA and NV, as well as in Yosemite and 101 through northern CA.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Raney Ellis
Hi Raney.
 Pre-RV, we have driven the PCH several times southbound in our car, most recently June 2012.  Our favorite stretch is from Monterery/Carmel to San Simeon.
 I agree with the post about checking for construction. Even when the road is not closed, it can be down to one lane in areas. Be prepared for quick stops.
 In the San Simeon area, just north of Hearst Castle, is a beach where hundreds of elephant seals have taken over.  It's worth a quick stop to check them out.
 Finally, allow plenty of time for this stretch. It is so pretty, you want to be able to take it all in.  Also, avoid if possible driving this stretch at night.

Bob - Pittsburgh
2011 MB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 137143
wrote: There was a Class A that looked to be 36 to 38' ahead of us. He left us in the dust. I could not believe he could take the curves and a couple of the hair pins but we never saw him again after a few miles.
--- Did you check on the beach/canyon below the road? ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 137144
being someone with a great fear of heights- i drive  this route north bound.
love the  state campground just north of oxnard-right on the beach-was the'old'road i think. trains do run right by the campground-about 3-4 times a day.
yes to stop to see the elaphent seals-just north of hearst castle. if you go to the state campgrounds just south of heart castle and have the dogs-HORRIBLe ticks there-atleast in the upper part. north of there-maybe 1-2 hours drive is (i think) kirks campground (nf?) very pretty-many sites overlooking ocean.
2000 RB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 137146
rollingthunderdanes@... wrote: if you go to the state campgrounds just south of heart castle and have the dogs-HORRIBLe ticks there-at least in the upper part.
--- Ticks are nasty disease vectors; spring is a particularly active "tick time", so pretty much anywhere that the grasses and scrub are growing, the ticks are especially hungry and on the lookout for any warm-blooded food source critters passing through, and that includes two-legged ones! I can't begin to count the numbers of ticks I've pulled off/out of various animals and a few people!  This link offers good information:

http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 137147
I second the northward over southward trip since that puts you against the cliff instead of hanging off the precipice. But remember, the ones coming towards you may be equally terrified and hugging their line or worse. But it is the most beautiful road in the world.
 The huge, ongoing rockslide between Monterey and San Francisco has been solved with a new tunnel project, using a European design. It just opened so I haven't done it, but it should solve a major problem in the area.

I also agree you shouldn't rush it, but camping in the area is very limited, and pulling out and roadside parking is frowned upone, if not illeagal. Good luck.