Skip to main content
Topic: Where to winter in New Mexico - NOT (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Where to winter in New Mexico - NOT
Yahoo Message Number: 137127
Sorry, Andy, but the coldest I ever got while camping was in southern NM in February 1974.  We were in a camping trailer stopped overnight just beyond El Paso on the way from Norfolk to San Diego.  My bed was the couch.  There was draft behind the couch and the icy wind kept blowing out the furnace.
Thought daylight would never come!!

s/Terry Apple (2012 27RB)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Terry Apple
2013 RB 27 Baby Blue Bentley

Re: Where to winter in New Mexico - NOT
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 137129
Terry, I've seen a few cold snaps in southern New Mexico and it *can* get down into the teens--but never for very long. My Lazy Daze has no trouble keeping me comfortasble, though, and I'm sure yours would do fine.
 Sounds to me as if your bad experience was mostly the fault of your 1970's-vintage camping trailer, which probably had little or no insulation (most trailers didn't in those days) and leaky construction (that draft you mentioned).
 As for the icy wind from its furnace, that's an indication that either you were out of propane, or more likely the trailer's battery was low, causing the blower to run at a slower-than-normal speed. When that happens, the furnace's "sail switch"--a safety feature in all RV furnaces--doesn't get tripped, so the propane burner is never turned on. It happened to me once when I tried winter camping in New Jersey.
 I would never claim that New Mexico is the warmest place to spend a winter. If you want that, you'll need to cross the border into old Mexico. But New Mexico can be quite comfortable (and affordable) in a modern rig.

Andy Baird

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"