Skip to main content
Topic: Constant defrosting of freezer issue (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Constant defrosting of freezer issue
Yahoo Message Number: 137090
With talk of not using Camping World to being told I should have my freezer checked out by Camping World for possibly warranty work - can anyone tell me what Camping World is better at this than another?
 Prior to October, I was defrosting my freezer almost monthly, could not make ice, lost meat, etc. October, had maintenance work done by Mike Slyvester, who found a handful of metal shavings in the gasket of the Dometic freezer. He said this was from the Dometic factory and suggested if I still had problems to take it in.   With Mike cleaning out the metal shavings, I finally could make ice, food stayed cold and all is well.
 Now mind you its been cold winter, so I should have kept that in mind, but I was just happy to have a working freezer.  Recently, I hit warm weather in southern Texas - instant frost built up in my freezer.  Defrosted it two weeks ago and I am now defrosting it once again. It's taking a couple of days to make ice now, cold stuff  (I put in fridge to cool it down) does not freeze for over 24 hours.
 Someone had Quartzside suggested I take it to Camping World to get it fixed.  So can anyone help tell me which one is better at this?  Some place in SW or NW...

Thanks!

Melinda
2011 27' MB
2011 Mid Bath

Dometic warranty work
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 137095
With talk of not using Camping World to being told I should have my freezer checked out by Camping World for possibly (Dometic) warranty work?

Here is a link to a searchable list of Dometic authorized service centers:
 http://www.edometic.com/allusr/srvctr.nsf

The issue with CW is training, retention & experience. Anyone who is any good will soon realize they can provide the work directly without CW acting as a middle-man.
 The challenge for customers is to find an independent operator who has a good reputation. I've had success with Yelp and other business review sites - just make sure there's sufficient volume to offset any potential insider bias.

Re: Dometic warranty work
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 137096
At 01:03 PM 2/26/2013, you wrote:

I've had success with Yelp and other business review sites - just make sure there's sufficient volume to offset any potential insider bias.

Another caution: Actually READ the reviews, particularly the negative ones. I have seen people slam service providers for all sorts of things that are not their fault, or insist on unreasonable expectations, etc. You can get an idea of the value of the review not only from what they complain about but from the wording and attitude expressed.

Sonsie

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 137101
"Actually READ the reviews, particularly the negative ones. I have seen people slam service providers for all sorts of things that are not their fault, or insist on unreasonable expectations, etc."
 Amen! I always read the negative reviews carefully to see whether the reviews have legitimate gripes, or whether they are "less than clueful" types who expected way too much, or who bought the product without first reading the description, etc.

Andy Baird

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 137104
If you want some hilarious reading...read the reviews on Amazon for the banana slicer!!!!

Bill Bussiere
Fox Head, Inc.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 137118
If the freezer is constantly needing to be defrosted, a likely suspect is a defective door seal, or perhaps the door is warped or hinges are not adjusted properly. You'll want to carefully inspect it to make sure it is sealing properly and there are a number of ways you might do this. You might first try cleaning and drying the seal and door surfaces. Then wipe a thin layer of dish washing soap or perhaps shampoo on the seal with your finger. Close the door gently and slowly, and with no more pressure than it takes for the the door to just latch. Open the door and inspect for even fluid transfer from the seal to the freezer sealing surface. This should point out any leaks.
 If you find a leaking area that is relatively short, and not due to door alignment, you might be able to shim out the seal. If the problem is more a gross misalignment, then try loosening the hinges etc and retighten with door held evenly closed.

bumper

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 137126
The freezer is/was needing to be defrosted frequently when I hit warm humid air, I had no problem after Mike found and got rid of all those medal shavings in October.
 But today, I did the dollar bill check on the gasket and I believe I have a leak around the latch. I will have someone double check my finding in morning, as its not that much different from the rest of the door.  Either the whole door is bad and/or needs adjustment or the gasket (which isn't all that flexible) near the latch is the only problem.
 Oh, I just reread your email. I will try the liquid soap in the morning to see if I have even fluid. Thanks for that great tip!
 And to everyone else that responded, it doesn't appear to be warranty work that is needed and I have been given some great tips on how to check and fix. And I will not use Camping World for this job, if I find down the road I need a Dometic Technician.  The things one learns when  one least expects it. Gotta love this group!

Thank you!

Melinda
'11 27' MB
2011 Mid Bath