Skip to main content
Topic: Circuit breaker problem (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
Circuit breaker problem
Yahoo Message Number: 137056
We have an 06 IB. While this has happened a few times before it is happening more often now.
 We have a small electric fan plugged into the outlet where you can set a tv in the bedroom.
 Often when I first turn the fan on it will trip the breaker. At that point only the frig is on electric and nothing else is turned on. The breaker is not hot. It is a 15amp GFI.
 It has been doing this rarely for quite a long time and has been a mystery to me. It has tripped when nothing was on and without our turning something on to seemingly cause it.

Checked the connection to the breaker and it seems secure.

Could the breaker be going bad?
 Second question, assuming I needed to replace it. How does it come out? I can't see any screws securing it. And is this one that should be found at Home Depot?

Jim C

Re: Circuit breaker problem
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 137057
We have an 06 IB. While this has happened a few times before it is happening more often now.
 We have a small electric fan plugged into the outlet where you can set a tv in the bedroom.
 Often when I first turn the fan on it will trip the breaker. At that point only the frig is on electric and nothing else is turned on. The breaker is not hot. It is a 15amp GFI.
Jim, wonder what would happen if you plugged a hair dryer or toaster in that plug?  Those usually cause me problems.  I f those don't trip the circuit then I would suspect the fan.

Joe Hamm

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 137058
Jim, wonder what would happen if you plugged a hair dryer or toaster in that plug?  Those usually cause me problems.  I f those don't trip the circuit then I would suspect the fan.
Joe Hamm
I second Joe's comment. If you plug something in with a heating element, something that will draw a lot more amperage and it doesn't trip, then I'd suspect the fan is the problem, not the breaker.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 137059
'Often when I first turn the fan on it will trip the breaker. At that point only the frig is on electric and nothing else is turned on. The breaker is not hot. It is a 15amp GFI"

Jim
 I assume no other electrical appliance does the same when plugged into the same circuit, correct?
 Does the fan have a 2 or 3 prong plug. If the later, I would suspect a slight breakdown in the fan's wiring, allowing enough current to flow to ground to trip the GFI.
If a 2 prong plug, it may be still have an electrical problem that intermittently shorts, only when turned on.
 Sounds like a good time for a troubleshooting session, using a multimeter, either that or a maybe a new fan altogether.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 137065
'Often when I first turn the fan on it will trip the breaker. At that point only the frig is on electric and nothing else is turned on. The breaker is not hot. It is a 15amp GFI"

Jim
 I assume no other electrical appliance does the same when plugged into the same circuit, correct?
 Does the fan have a 2 or 3 prong plug. If the later, I would suspect a slight breakdown in the fan's wiring, allowing enough current to flow to ground to trip the GFI.
If a 2 prong plug, it may be still have an electrical problem that intermittently shorts, only when turned on.
 Sounds like a good time for a troubleshooting session, using a multimeter, either that or a maybe a new fan altogether.

Larry
To Larry and all. I tried a hair dryer in both receptacles on both low and high and it did not trip.
 I tried the fan again and it did not cause it to trip. It is a Honeywell fan with a two prong plug.
 I didn't add that in every case when I reset the breaker and turn the fan on again it doesn't trip.

Jim C

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 137069
Since nobody has asked the obvious question, I guess I will: what is the heater's rated wattage? When you plug it in, which of its multiple settings is it on? How many watts does it draw at that setting? Have you tried a lower setting?

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 137072

Jim

Larry

To Larry and all. I tried a hair dryer in both receptacles on both low and high and it did not trip.

I tried the fan again and it did not cause it to trip. It is a Honeywell fan with a two prong plug.
 I didn't add that in every case when I reset the breaker and turn the fan on again it doesn't trip.

Jim C

Jim, I believe you have an electrical poltergeist.

Chris H
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 137073
"I didn't add that in every case when I reset the breaker and turn the fan on again it doesn't trip."

Jim C
 If the fan trips the GFI again, I would toss the fan or find the fault.
If another appliance trips the GFI, suspect the breaker.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 137077
"Often when I first turn the fan on it will trip the breaker."

Jim C
Jim

Does this happen when using some other 15a outlet???

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 137082
"I didn't add that in every case when I reset the breaker and turn the fan on again it doesn't trip." Jim C
 If the fan trips the GFI again, I would toss the fan or find the fault.
If another appliance trips the GFI, suspect the breaker.
Larry
When we first got our new coach in March of 2007 ('06 chassis), we took a long Utah trip and used a fan often, plugged into the outlet below the folding counter extension (TK model).  It would frequently trip the breaker, but only when I turned the fan OFF, not when turning on.  At the end of the trip, I took it to the MS.  Much head-scratching and puzzled looks, but they replaced the breaker.  Fast forward.  Different fan, same problem, only not so frequently, in fact, seldom.  Must be something in the wiring or the outlet?  LD gremlins at work.  -- Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄