Skip to main content
Topic: Yet Another LazyDazer With a Blog. FOOD!! (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
Yet Another LazyDazer With a Blog. FOOD!!
Yahoo Message Number: 137019
I have started a blog on food, utensils and preparation.  My ultimate goal is to prepare meals with a minimum amount of cleanup and work.  I fulltime and boondock a lot so saving water used for cleanup is a big item.  I have some unique stuff to present and some great recipes that I have adapted to the RV kitchen.  Anyone that has camped with me has experienced my Traeger Barbecue.  I have some great stuff on this unique cooking style as well.  I invite you to join up and enjoy!
 http://rogersramblings41.blogspot.com/
2002 MB

Re: Yet Another LazyDazer With a Blog. FOOD!!
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 137060
"I have started a blog on food, utensils and preparation. My ultimate goal is to prepare meals with a minimum amount of cleanup and work. kitchen. Anyone that has camped with me has experienced my Stranger Barbecue."

Roger
 You could have a Yahoo group devoted to RV cooking, I love watching RV cooking pros and picking up hints so this should be fun to watch.
The steamer is something I had not though to try, know we have one somewhere in the kitchen collecting dust. It should save a lot of water.
 So what model of Traeger grill do you have? Does it use electrical power?  I ask because a friend has a home model and it makes some incredible stuff but he cooks at home and then brings the cooked meat camping, due to the size of the grill.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 137061
Grill Suggestion - If you are limited on space and don't need a huge grill consider the Stainless Steel Pyromid Grill. It uses 9 charcoal briquettes to cook an entire meal. Or you can use a small amount of hardwood pieces or what you can forage from a campground. Folds down to 1.5 inches in height and fits in carrying bag. They last forever if taken care of.

Bob 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee Toad

" So what model of Traeger grill do you have? Does it use electrical power?  I ask because a friend has a home model and it makes some incredible stuff but he cooks at home and then brings the cooked meat camping, due to the size of the grill.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 137062
"Grill Suggestion - If you are limited on space and don't need a huge grill consider the Stainless Steel Pyramid Grill. It uses 9 charcoal briquettes to cook an entire meal.'

Bob

I stick with propane for RVing, it's clean and quick.
Charcoal is good but I don't have the space to store it or do I want to deal with the potential mess.
Below is the BBQ we have used for ten years. It is still in very good condition after hundreds of delicious meals.
Olympian 4100 Tabletop Grill http://www.uscatalytic.com/uscatalytic/ProductMulti.cfm?CornerImage=titlebbq.jpg&SubCategoryId=225&ProductId=2307 It is fairly compact and fits out FL's limited exterior storage.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 137064
Grill Suggestion - If you are limited on space and don't need a huge grill consider the Stainless Steel Pyromid Grill. It uses 9 charcoal briquettes to cook an entire meal. Or you can use a small amount of hardwood pieces or what you can forage from a campground. Folds down to 1.5 inches in height and fits in carrying bag. They last forever if taken care of.
--- The Pyromid hasn't been manufactured for several years, but this company apparently bought the patent and is producing what looks to be a very similar grill.  I don't know how the overall quality of the "Ecoque" compares to the original Pyromid (which was manufactured in Oregon):

http://ecoque.com/
 I have a 12" Pyromid (and an 8", which is rarely used) that I've used for 22 years; it's definitely compact, efficient, easy to clean, and will very likely outlast me! From time to time, I consider going to a propane grill like the Weber Q100 or the Olympian (that Larry mentioned), but the little Pyromid, even with the added "inconvenience" of carrying charcoal (I use Cowboy charcoal, but YMMV.  http://www.cowboycharcoal.com/), I still prefer the Pyromid.
 Once in a while, a Pyromid will come up on eBay, but if the grill is in even halfway decent shape, it will sell for high dollar.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 137066
Joan,
 I was lucky. I got a nearly new Pyromid on Ebay for $27.00 with $17.00 additional for shipping. This was after I was outbid on a new one for $90.00. I don't know anything about the new rebranded version. But the Pyromid is easy to light with free newspaper from the advertising stands, uses very little fuel (I prefer Lazarri Mesquite Charcoal), and makes an excellent smoker for fresh fish caught, or grilling asparagus with olive oil, S&P. When it comes to bar-b-que I am a purist and don't want propane. Go to any rib cookoff and see how many people use propane. None and there is a reason. But each to their own. Use what works best for you.

Bob 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee Toad

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 137067
So what model of Traeger grill do you have?
I have the "Tailgater Model 55".  They all burn wood pellets.  All Traegers use electricity for the pellet auger feed and fan.  They also have an electric "starter".  I took the legs off of mine and installed the "tailgate kit" which is a couple of wheels and an insulating pad on the bottom, so it doesn't scorch your tailgate.  It travels in the back of my Ford Ranger toad.  I have a 1000 watt inverter in my '02MB.  The Traeger uses about 30 amps on start up for about 2 min.  When running, it uses about 4 amps.  I use it all of the time and with solar, it hardly affects batteries.  Most cooking takes place during the middle of the day or in the late after noon when you are still charging or already have a full charge.  I have smoked tri-tip, ribs, meat loaf etc. for 4 hours and still have 100% charge at the end of the day.  I intend to have a post or two on the traeger on my Blog      soon.

I think Traeger's website is Traegerbarbecues.com
 I have had Traegers for over 10 years and they are great for grilling, baking and smoking.  Anyone who has camped with me has experienced the Traeger "output".
2002 MB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 137094
I actually posted Stranger Barbecue when I meant Traeger Barbecue?? And nobody caught me on it??
2002 MB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 137097
I just assumed you were the stranger they were talking about. So, you're not strange? Well, I hope you are, as it'd make the barbecue entertaining
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 137100
"I actually posted Stranger Barbecue when I meant Traeger Barbecue?? And nobody caught me on it??

Roger

We were being polite.

Larry

Misspeller extraordinaire
2001 MB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 137120
I stick with propane for RVing, it's clean and quick.
Charcoal is good but I don't have the space to store it or do I want to deal with the potential mess.
We use a propane grill too, but not because of less mess. When we used charcoal, the disadvantages were the long time to idealize the briquets, then the long time to wait for it all to cool down. However, that latter disadvantage was a HUGE advantage when it came to keeping the grill clean, since the protracted heating completely burned off ALL grease and debris. I do miss that. Also, making smores for dessert after finishing a meal without a smokey fire.
 We switched to propane once we started making longer trips with less stay time at campgrounds, and now that many public wilderness choices require putting away any barbeque equipment immediately after cooking. Flavor-wise, I fall into the group that feels there is no advantage to one method over the other.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit