Skip to main content
Topic: Water Pump Question (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Water Pump Question
Yahoo Message Number: 136888
For the past few months the original Whisper King water pump on our 2002 T/K has been running for a few seconds, every 20 mins. or so, when the water is shut off. The pump is not leaking and we see no evidence of any leaks in the motor home. We have also followed the procedure to clear all air out of the lines, but nothing has changed. We assume, after talking to Shurflo, it is the check valve.
 We decided to replace it with another Whisper King, but we're having a hard time finding one from all the usual places--CW, Amazon. Some online dealers who do have it have really inflated the price.
 The Shurflo service rep said we might try replacing the check valve on the pump with a new one, for about $10. Have any of you done this? Just wondering if we should keep looking for a Whisper King from a reputable source, go with a Revolution (although the Whisper King was just fine for us) or try the fix. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sandy

Water Pump Question
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 136889
Sandy The Revolution is probably a fine pump. But will they have the longivity of the WK?  Like you, the WK is just fine for us, and our original WK is still going strong after 13 years. That being said, we bought a new WK last year to carry as a spare. They are available on line, including ebay.
However we saw one at CW, on sale for less than any we had seen on sale else where.
Tom

Re: Water Pump Question
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 136900
Thanks, Tom!  I just got off the phone with Camping World. At first, they gave me some wrong info--they told me Whisper King was no long available!  Shurflo, however assured me they were. Finally, Camping World received the correct information and I was able to special order a Whisper King from them for $95 less a 10% off coupon.  We also ordered the check valve part for only about $9. They no longer carry WK on their web-site, however.
 We're happy to be able to install another Whisper King, as it's been just fine for 10 years!
 Now---any tips on the install? Our son, who is a marine mechanic, has volunteered to do this for us. An RV is a lot like a boat, but it's not a boat ;-)

Sandy

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 136901
Quote from: Larry"

Thanks, Larry.
As I just posted, we were able to special order one from CW. I wasn't sure about the reputation of some of the online rv suppliers, but that would have been my next choice.
 I appreciate the feedback.  Any advice on the installation is also appreciated.
 This is such a great group, and I certainly appreciate the quick response to my question.

Sandy

Sandy

Whisper Kings are widely available at fair prices.
 http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/rv-water-pumps.htm

http://www.adventurerv.net/shurflo-whisper-king-fresh-water-pump-p-1712.html?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Froogle&gclid=COipzZzSwLUCFQxxQgodXDwAuQ
 http://www.americanrvcompany.com/ShurFlo-2093-204-413-Whisper-King-Water-Pump-RV-Trailer-Camper_p_884.html?gclid=COvIwKjSwLUCFSHZQgodJTgAOA

Larry

Water Pump Question
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 136903
Sandy the install should be very straight forward when it is a model for model install. Unfortunately, it is more difficult in the TK because  of tight access. I would remove both the middle and bottom small galley drawers. Temporarily removing the bottom drawer runner  could help. A drop light or small LED lantern of some type placed in there might help. Some paper towels to soak up water from the hoses could be of some help also Tom

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 136905
"Any advice on the installation is also appreciated.'

Sandy

The switch-out is straight forward since it's the same pump.
Drain the water tank first for less mess.
Remove the lower kitchen drawers to access the pump.
Disconnect the two wire nuts, loosen the hose clamps, remove the 4 mounting screws, pull the hoses and then remove the pump. Have a towel ready to soak up the water that will flow when the hoses are removed.
Make sure to use the pre-filter. Note the wiring color code.
Installation is just the reverse.
 Takes less than a half hour if you are flexible enough to get into the confined space.
 Keep the old as a spare or better still get a second pump. Newer pumps are not lasting as long as the older originals.
BTW, all three links I provided are legitimate suppliers that I have used.
I do my best to avoid CW.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Water Pump Question
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 136938
In our '93 MP, it was simply a matter of removing 8 wood screws holding in the bottom panel of the Mr & Mrs closest to access the pump, lines & tank. Once that was off, it was a 5 minute job.
 As for confirming model numbers, I just called the service tech @ the Whisper King HQ in Costa Mesa to get the proper replacement ID, then bought one off Amazon.

K

Sandy the install should be very straight forward when it is a model for model install. Unfortunately, it is more difficult in the TK because  of tight access. I would remove both the middle and bottom small galley drawers. Temporarily removing the bottom drawer runner  could help. A drop light or small LED lantern of some type placed in there might help. Some paper towels to soak up water from the hoses could be of some help also Tom

Re: Water Pump Question and update
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 137063
Keep the old as a spare or better still get a second pump. Newer pumps are not lasting as long as the older originals.
BTW, all three links I provided are legitimate suppliers that I have used.
I do my best to avoid CW.

Larry
Regarding Larry's comment that new pumps are not as reliable as the older pumps, today I was told by Shurflo that about 3 years ago they started making the pumps in Mexico, and that they don't seem to last as long as the older pumps!
 Also--good advice about avoiding CW. They pushed the ship date of our pump into the end of March, saying it was back-ordered.(It was in stock at Shurflo.) After another few phone calls and more irritation, it seems our pump will ship tomorrow, after all.

Sandy

Re: Water Pump Question and update
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 137068
How about ordering things from Amazon instead of Camping World? My experience is Amazon has most stuff, and it often ships in two days for free if you have a Prime membership, or slower but still free if you order over $25. I've bought things from Amazon like the hot water heater sediment flusher to an automatic satellite TV antenna.

Eric Greenwell
2005 Jayco 24SS

Water Pump Question
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 137973
The original water pump on my 2003 Lazy Daze works great.  I've bought a new water pump to replace this one once it is needed.  I don't want to replace the original until I have to.  I sometimes fill the water tank a few days before a trip.   My question is can the water pump start to leak if the water pump is turned off?    Or, does it only leak when the pump is turned on?  If it started to leak while being stored and I didn't know it, I imagine it could cause a lot of damage.

Monica NE 10
Monica
2017 MB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 137991
Yes it can leak in storage, it happened to me, but keep in mind it was 22 years old, the pump itself started to weep between the two halves of the diaphragm housing, worked fine even held line pressure but leaked from static pressure from the tank. I think adding a shutoff valve to the tank outlet is a great idea, shut it off during long periods of storage.

Sent by wireless