Skip to main content
Topic: Broken window (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
Broken window
Yahoo Message Number: 136819
I have a crack in the fixed window above my couch (rear bath model, so right behind the driver's seat. I made a call and spoke with Diana at LD, and she referred me to NAGCo, which is the supplier. After speaking with NAGCo, I learned I can have the glass shipped to me, but only after I have a local shop remove the window, trace it onto a template, and send that to NAGCo. Then, they'll cut, crate, and ship the window back to my local shop to have them install the new window. Estimated cost? Almost $700 to NAGNo, and whatever labor costs I have with my local shop. If I drive to SoCal and visit the NAGCo shop, they can replace it for $251 and two hours time while I wait.
 My question is this: Has anyone had any experience replacing glass with another glass shop? Assuming they can match the 9% tint, it should be too difficult... although I'll admit I know very little about laminate glass. Should I seek other local options?
 Also, the woman at NAGCo told me there is no danger or issue with having a cracked window. There's no air or water leakage, and no risk of it falling out. Should I just wait till I make a trip to SoCal (I'm in Salt Lake City, so about 650mi) and have it done at NAGCo? It might be next summer (2014), we're planning a trip to Sea World with the kiddos.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Broken window
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 136820
NAGCo are the experts - I would take their advice.  We had a crack in a window several years ago and just waited until we were in S. California to have it replaced (we lived in Washington state at the time).

--Al in Scappoose (currently in Phoenix) --2002 26.5 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 136821
"the woman at NAGCo told me there is no danger or issue with having a cracked window. There's no air or water leakage, and no risk of it falling out. Should I just wait till... next summer (2014)?"
 Unless it really bothers you to look at it, it sounds as if waiting would probably be the sensible thing.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Broken window
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 136822
Tyler Fenn wrote:

I have a crack in the fixed window above my couch (rear bath model, so right behind the driver's seat. I made a call and spoke with Diana at LD, and she referred me to NAGCo, which is the supplier. After speaking with NAGCo, I learned I can have the glass shipped to me, but only after I have a local shop remove the window, trace it onto a template, and send that to NAGCo. Then, they'll cut, crate, and ship the window back to my local shop to have them install the new window. Estimated cost? Almost $700 to NAGNo, and whatever labor costs I have with my local shop. If I drive to SoCal and visit the NAGCo shop, they can replace it for $251 and two hours time while I wait.
 My question is this: Has anyone had any experience replacing glass with another glass shop? Assuming they can match the 9% tint, it should be too difficult... although I'll admit I know very little about laminate glass.
Should I seek other local options?
Hi I will tell you about my experience. I has a rear window crack in my 1999 TK here on Whidbey Island, WA. I went to a glass shop in Oak Harbor and had allmost the same experience as you. Except my glass shop, after some discussion among themselves, refused to do even do it with the shipped from NAGCO glass, because if they cracked or chipped it during install, as ocassionally happpens, they would be libel for too much cost. They said why not let us cut and install for about $200? They said they could not exactly match the tint but it would be close.
 Now for the rest of the story. I decided I wanted the exact match on the tint so I went to NAGCO in SoCal the following summer. When the job was finished I noticed the tint was not the same but was quite close.
NAGCO told me the tint used on my model was no longer available and that was as close as they coud get it. When I got back to the Island I dropped by our glass shop. They looked at it and told me yes, that was the same tint they could get!!!!!!!

Tom

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 136823
Tom, if you had to do it again, would you just use your local shop? I'm beginning to think that I won't bother with it until I go to NAGCo

Broken window
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 136824
Tom, if you had to do it again, would you just use your local shop?
Yes, I would. The slight mismatch in tint has never really bothered me.
Now I don't even notice. Why not at least ask to see the glass they would use, to see it it would satidfy you? Tom